Turn on thread page Beta

is dropping out of uni quite common? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im asking cos Im relying on someone dropping out of the english course at Cardiff to ensure I can switch to it when I get there (changed my mind about the course Ive been accepted to).
    Do you think its likely that at least 1 person will drop out?! I know it sounds a silly question but Im so worried that I wont end up getting onto the english literature course in the end
    OR if nobody drops out, do you think theres a good chance Ill be able to swap anyway when I get there?
    Anyone been in the same situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptart86)
    Im asking cos Im relying on someone dropping out of the english course at Cardiff to ensure I can switch to it when I get there (changed my mind about the course Ive been accepted to).
    Do you think its likely that at least 1 person will drop out?! I know it sounds a silly question but Im so worried that I wont end up getting onto the english literature course in the end
    OR if nobody drops out, do you think theres a good chance Ill be able to swap anyway when I get there?
    Anyone been in the same situation?
    I originally wanted to do English Language and Sociology at Sheffield but missed one grade by 4marks so am doing straight Sociology instead. I've been told that once I'm an enrolled student, if someone drops out I can ask to be informed and (based on their view about whether they think I'm 'worthy' of the course) can be swapped onto it AFTER ONE YEAR. Oh well..

ReputationRep:
    After one year?!!! Well im sure it will work out in the end - maybe with lots and lots of begging this year u could end up being transferred earlier! Just keep reminding them that u really want to study the other course :p:

ReputationRep:
    i think english has been a popular course this year but i'd says the odds are yes at least oner person will drop out maybe more...but it depends how many other peoe are in the smae situation as you

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid to say that I think English will have a pretty low drop-out rate...just because it is so competitive. I'm sure there will be some stats on UCAS/the Cardiff website though.

ReputationRep:
    Crap i didnt even think of that I just hope they take into account my grades and how much I really really really want to do the course!!

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to be taking enough english credits to swap easily?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptart86)
    After one year?!!! Well im sure it will work out in the end - maybe with lots and lots of begging this year u could end up being transferred earlier! Just keep reminding them that u really want to study the other course :p:
    As long as you do English as your other first year subject, it doesnt matter if you transfer officially after a year because you would have still done the same amount of English modules as someone on the English course. I'm only going to be doing 4 modules in English (a third of the total modules) and you will be doing the same by choosing it as your other subject. Does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see what you mean. I thought that would be the case but wasnt 100% sure!
    What ive done now is just email the english admissions people asking if it is possible to change after a year (or even earlier hopefully!)

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.