Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yep, another one of these threads! OK, well I've made up my mind what subjects I'm doing, but I need some advice for a friend. She wants to study psychology at uni, and at the minute she's thinking of doing:
    *psychology
    *biology
    and then 2 of chemistry, photography, IT and graphics

What do you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    Yep, another one of these threads! OK, well I've made up my mind what subjects I'm doing, but I need some advice for a friend. She wants to study psychology at uni, and at the minute she's thinking of doing:
    *psychology
    *biology
    and then 2 of chemistry, photography, IT and graphics

What do you suggest?
    Tell her to go and look at a few universities she might be interested in and look at the entry requirements. I think psychology and biology would be fine, and then something she's interested in. I coulda done a psychology degree with English, psychology and sociology...so that just shows ya lol

ReputationRep:
    I imagine chemistry would complement biology and psychology quite well. I wouldn't advise taking 2 of photography, graphics and ICT either as those subjects have a lot of coursework, so I'd say psychology, biology, chemistry and her preferred practical subject.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I think she was thinking of doing chem plus one other (although shes waiting til thursday before making any decisions!) Also, she has never done photography before, but she really enjoys it, but do you think it will be difficult for her to get into if she has never 'studied' it as such before. Oh, and does anyone know if psychology is an essay based subject at A level? Because she hasn't really done any essay based subjects at GCSE (except English) and I thought it would be good for her to get/stay in the habit of writing essays for uni, because if she doesn't write any essays for two years then suddenly finds herself needing to at uni, she could be a bit stuck. Whats your opinion there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Bex~)
    Yeh, I think she was thinking of doing chem plus one other (although shes waiting til thursday before making any decisions!) Also, she has never done photography before, but she really enjoys it, but do you think it will be difficult for her to get into if she has never 'studied' it as such before. Oh, and does anyone know if psychology is an essay based subject at A level? Because she hasn't really done any essay based subjects at GCSE (except English) and I thought it would be good for her to get/stay in the habit of writing essays for uni, because if she doesn't write any essays for two years then suddenly finds herself needing to at uni, she could be a bit stuck. Whats your opinion there?
    Psychology is indeed an essay subject, so that should keep her writing skills up to scratch. As for photography, she might need a portfolio or some other evidence of work she's done to get onto the course, but I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    Don't take photography, ICT or graphics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Don't take photography, ICT or graphics.
    Why not? And what do you suggest as an alternative?

Because some universities dont value them as highly as more academic subjects such as the sciences, maths and english.

Biology
    Physcology
    Chemistry

Go well and compliment each other. So really the 4th subject should be something she will enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, but I've said she's probably doing biology, psychology and chemistry plus one of the others, so whats wrong with photography, ICT or graphics as the fourth?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.