Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestdeceptions)
    Hmm. I've always thought the Warwick deals weren't worth it, but I've been doing loads of research and I don't see what's so bad about them.

I've compared them and the features you get with other laptops and the prices seem pretty reasonable to me. Plus you get that repair service at Warwick which is available to everyone who buys the laptop from the scheme?
    this is actually available to anyone at the university free of charge. Very handy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    this is actually available to anyone at the university free of charge. Very handy!
    Really? I don't doubt your word obviously, but here it says:

"System Support Service – this service is designed for students and staff who needs various kinds of hands on help with their privately owned computers. It is free to those who live on campus..."

"Warranty Repairs - Norsk Data provides the warranty service for the IBM computers bought under the Student Computer Purchase Scheme computers."

No idea what that second one means! I guess it doesn't really matter if you can all get your laptops fixed for free in the first thing. I looked up the laptops in the Warwick scheme from their actual website and they are hundreds of pounds cheaper through Warwick. I guess it just depends what kind of laptop you want. The Warwick ones look good to me!

ReputationRep:
    Who's entitled to this service?

* Free to all campus residents

So everyone on campus in their first year.

* Free to residents of Off-Campus Managed Houses offering the Broadband Service

So pretty much everyone who has a PLU house.

* Included in the price of a Student Purchase Scheme computer
    * Available to others for purchase from Norsk Data for £25.85 per year

So yep, i'd say 60-70% of students at warwick have access to it. Its pretty crap though really. As for the IBM laptops- they have really good build quality, price wise:

Entry level- R50e ThinkPad Intel Cel M 340, 15" XGA TFT £489.96 inc VAT (dabs.com)

So by looking round you can save some money- over £100 in total.

One thing though- make sure you get the laptop insured, theft does happen on campus and laptops are pretty popular targets. Also get a laptop bag which doesn't look like one (e.g. a backpack style one- I use a jansport processor).

ReputationRep:
    I got my laptop from 'elsewhere', in fact im usin it right now . Been playing with it all week yay

Its got everything I want for a good price, so it'll do me just fine.

University open days

1. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.