This discussion is closed.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
What is the point of house alarms if you go out and someone breaks into your house and the alarm goes off.Your house is empty so no one will stop the burglur.Your neighboors may not be in and if they did they may not even care and the burglurs wont be scared of a bit of noise.What is the point in them?
curryADD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
What is the point of house alarms if you go out and someone breaks into your house and the alarm goes off.Your house is empty so no one will stop the burglur.Your neighboors may not be in and if they did they may not even care and the burglurs wont be scared of a bit of noise.What is the point in them?
the alarm sends a signal to the police station if you have that kind of alarm.....ours is silent and thats what ours does....so the police show up and stop them from taking anything!
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by curryADD)
the alarm sends a signal to the police station if you have that kind of alarm.....ours is silent and thats what ours does....so the police show up and stop them from taking anything!
Not all alarms do that. You need a dialer and they are quite expensive in this country. I put our alarm in because even if the neighbours don't do anything its a deterant and you can relax more when you go to sleep.
CrzySxyCool
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i agree but some alarms are wired up to the police ie if it goes of for more than 5 minutes.
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The concept is the burglars are deterred by loud noises as a possible bringer of attention whilst in the act. If it persists, curiosity will be aroused and people will investigate and discover the burglars.... for those not wired up to the local Police Station, anyway.

You're right though, I don't take a blind bit of notice when a burglar alarm goes off within earshot. I just presume it's an inadequacy of the burglar alarm for being too sensitive, or the occupants who are incompetent when it comes to activating/deactivating. :rolleyes:
Moochy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
our neighbours alarms is def useless i tell u. anything seems to set if off and we always seem to come bk from somewhere and its goin off. luckily we got a spare key so we go in and turn it off but if it did go off cus of a burglar i dont think anyone wud even notice. and i dont think its hooked up to the police either.
Adhsur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, even if no one comes to the rescue so to speak, the burglar will get pretty panicky and might think he'll get caught - so the idea is that he'll get out as quickly as possible. Maybe the alarm isn't connecte dto the police but the burglar doesn't know that!!!

Incidentally, what do you people think of the case of the farmer shooting the burgler? should he have gone to prison for it?
*dave*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Well, even if no one comes to the rescue so to speak, the burglar will get pretty panicky and might think he'll get caught - so the idea is that he'll get out as quickly as possible. Maybe the alarm isn't connecte dto the police but the burglar doesn't know that!!!

Incidentally, what do you people think of the case of the farmer shooting the burgler? should he have gone to prison for it?
Why are bad people always refered to as 'he' lol

I think he should have gone to prison, cos he shot him in the back as he was running away and thats wrong. Although not murder, I agreed with the decision made by the jury. But no-one should be blamed more than the little *******s that went into his house. Its a shame things turned out the way they did but it was them that initiated the situation. The fact that the injured one was trying to sue him was REDICULOUS!!! (cant spell lol). Im sorry to say it but those little ***** got what they deserved. Theres no defence for breaking into someones house in the middle of the night. Nothing!
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
My alarm went off today when someone I knew came round to do something and forgot the alarm code, within three minutes the neighbours were round.

Nuff said.
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes why are bad ppl always reffered to as 'he' y not 'she'. We don't have an alarm and we've never had a burglar, which is a good thing, cos if we ever caught 'her' then well ...gee
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Got good neighbours then...
waiting2smile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well i don't no about that...interesting, i've never thought of them as good, hmm!
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They are useless:

1) Police have a new initiative, they are not to stray from their patrol if they hear an alarm sound. Only investigates the police linked alarms.

2) If police do come they come within about 20 minutes. Thats a lot fo time for a burglar to do his job.
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776 2)
They are useless:

1) Police have a new initiative, they are not to stray from their patrol if they hear an alarm sound. Only investigates the police linked alarms.

2) If police do come they come within about 20 minutes. Thats a lot fo time for a burglar to do his job.
yeah but we have one anyway! better safe than sorry!
Mark_KK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
They are useless:

Humberside Police forbid their officers from entering into "high speed persuit" so theoretically all a criminal has to do is get into a car and floor it and the Police will break off chase.

This policy is currently being reviewed.
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
Humberside Police forbid their officers from entering into "high speed persuit" so theoretically all a criminal has to do is get into a car and floor it and the Police will break off chase.

This policy is currently being reviewed.
HAH! Sounds like a good plan to me...
curryADD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
HAH! Sounds like a good plan to me...
doesnt everything sound like a good plan to you?
LPK
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moochy)
our neighbours alarms is def useless i tell u. anything seems to set if off and we always seem to come bk from somewhere and its goin off. luckily we got a spare key so we go in and turn it off but if it did go off cus of a burglar i dont think anyone wud even notice. and i dont think its hooked up to the police either.
my neighboor is 93 and she cant hear nowt..

sorry about taking so long to reply my comp is annoying me and keeps going off.

does anyone know how to get rid of a screensaver?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
does anyone know how to get rid of a screensaver?
Yes, use the computer.
LPK
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2776)
Yes, use the computer.
clever you i would of never figured that out :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (89)
21.76%
No (320)
78.24%

Watched Threads