The Student Room Group

Appeal against uni rejection/decision

Has anyone in the past made an appeal against a rejection they recieved from university? Were you successful?

Ive made an appeal against my firm university rejection as I feel that they did not fully take into consideration my circumstances (i only missed by a grade). My school have also corresponded with them to let them know of my situation and i am now waiting for the result. Has appealing worked for anyone in the past?
Reply 1
on what grounds are you appealing though?

does the official uni published admissions procedure outline they will take into consideration 'circumstances'?

because otherwise, it really is at their discretion - if you don't make the grades, i'm not sure how legally they owe you any "good will" & leniency unless they've said they would...?
& if they could have let you in - they probably would have, unis want bums on available seats!

i appreciate you're in a horrible situation, but i'm not sure how successful an appeal will be, if you've already tried negotiating, pleading, begging etc.

are there any courses in clearing that might be suitable..? :smile:
Elles
because otherwise, it really is at their discretion - if you don't make the grades, i'm not sure how legally they owe you any "good will" & leniency unless they've said they would...?
& if they could have let you in - they probably would have, unis want bums on available seats!

The university is under no legal obligation whatsoever in the event of someone missing the conditions of their offer. Even if your appeal IS successful, won't you feel insecure knowing you've practically forced them to take you?
Reply 3
sapphisticated
The university is under no legal obligation whatsoever in the event of someone missing the conditions of their offer. Even if your appeal IS successful, won't you feel insecure knowing you've practically forced them to take you?

That's what I was just thinking. I'd rather go to a university that I know really wanted me and thought I was capable of the course than one that I'd had to appeal to get into :smile:
Reply 4
my firm choice is manchester, which is a highly competative university and they have no courses in my chosen department available through clearing. The grades asked for were ABB, i managed to get ABCb, and i'm in the process of getting some papers remarked - but this takes a long time.

I studied at home, therefore, i received no teaching or guidance through the A2 syllabus, and in my opinion, still managed to do fairly well. During my AS (i was in school for this) i consistantly achieved marks such as 103/105, 88/90 etc in all my subjects, in all modules - thefore showing that maybe with some teaching i would have done a lot better.

when i faxed through the appeal and they contacted me, the lady said she was taking my case very seriously and she would contact my school regarding my situation - the head of my sixth form said that they had a long chat.

It is a little long to explain my situation, but to put it in short - i had two choices, to either quit school altogether or to study independantly at home (the university is aware of the reasons why i had to take this step). I chose to continue with my education as i have always taken school very seriously, and it was no choice of my own to quit school. As well as teaching myself, i was going through severe family difficulties and health problems.

I guess i won't feel insecure if my appeal is successful as I know i have worked my hardest and with the guidance and teaching from university i will have the same opportunity as everyone else to do just as well. Last year they took people who achieved the same grades as me...but again, i realise that it is a different case for every individual. Just to add, there are only 40 places on my course, so i will feel honoured to be part of the degree, and i know i am capable of succeeding.

I have worked so hard, and i know manchester is the right university for me...i just hope they let me in :frown:
Reply 5
I know a couple of people who are in the process of appealing and a couple of my friends were accepted after drooping a grade. I came very close to studying at home so no how hard it must have been for you, the uni should take your appeal more seriously as their are special circumstances. Good luck.
I know one of my friends appealed and was actually successful. However,this was last year, it may be slightly different this year due to the fact that so many more people have applied to miss the top-up fees so it may affect your chances. Good luck though :smile:
Reply 7
It doesn't help that this year so many more people were eager to go to university. I know for a fact that last year the English dept at Exeter were praying not everyone made the grades as although I'm sure they would have liked to have taken more students the people in charge were not happy. Because they went over the quota they were seriously warned that if the smae happenedagain then their dept would be fined or have a smaller budget etc. Are you really not keen on your insurance? I don't know your personal situation, but if you couldn't be educated at school then are you really ready for university.
If you missed the grades they offered, then they are under no obligation to accept you. If the course is very very popular (and most courses at Manchester are) then they will often be heavily oversubscribed and will be extremely reluctant to accept candidates who have missed their grades, even if it is a single grade.

That said, it's always worth trying, and if you have good reasons for missing a grade (and you've set your case out quite clearly here) then you'll have a chance. At least if you're still rejected you can stake a small consolation from the fact that you did all you could... but hopefully that won't happen.

Good luck!
Reply 9
sophieliz
but if you couldn't be educated at school then are you really ready for university.

i was educated in school all my life - except the last year of A levels.
To be honest, studying at home has actually equipped me with the skills such as being self motivated and being independent with my research and studies...as university students will know, this is highly important at uni...

i don't want to go to my insurance, cardiff, and was reluctantly released by them. I have already been given a few unconditional offers from some good uni's such as Durham, through clearing, just incase my appeal isn't successful. Hopefully, it will all be okay though!

thanks everyone for your input :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending