Turn on thread page Beta

Wot was the most redundant/usless subject u did in school? watch

ReputationRep:
    Latin... video conferencing for an hour on a Wednesday morning with a man called Giles. Rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm why do ppl do RE anyway??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indy_punk)
    I had to, belive me I didnt do it by choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indy_punk)
    it's compulsory over here...

ReputationRep:
    Oh God - definitely General Studies. When we actually bothered to show up to the lessons, we did absolutely nothing at all and then left halfway through. Every week. It was a HUGE waste of time.

Of course, in the pre GCSE years there was no end of pointless subjects that I had no time for. Textiles, Craft and Design Technology, Food Technology, Art, PE, Music. It's not that any of these things are inherently useless or ridiculous, I was just no good at any of them and my skills never improved.

In fact, I was famously terrible at every single one of those subjects, especially PE. When I left school recently, my old PE teacher said to me fondly "ah, here you are about to leave, and you never did have that major accident we always predicted for you in the PE department office."

ReputationRep:
    Cookery, I didn't take it, we had to do it as part of the rota up to year nine in technology. The only thing I learned was how to make bread taste disgusting and how many toppings you can put on a pizza before it's overloaded.
    Teaching kiddywinks to cook for themselves is a good idea, but I agree the stuff they teach you is either patronising or pointless. Fruit pie for gods sake! Who makes their own pies anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelBabyfrog)
    Latin... video conferencing for an hour on a Wednesday morning with a man called Giles. Rubbish.
    No can't believe you said that Latin is usless, I love(d) Latin! We had a real teacher in the classroom though, so it might have made the difference. It's helped me alot with understanding the english language, and will help me when I learn other european languages. Also Latin teachers are just the kookiest and funniest and are great entertainment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdm708)
    Teaching kiddywinks to cook for themselves is a good idea, but I agree the stuff they teach you is either patronising or pointless. Fruit pie for gods sake! Who makes their own pies anyway?
    Everyone does of course! :eek: Imagine the disgrace of people discovering you bought your pies. Honestly, I'd never recover from the shame!

As for the other things we were taught in cookery classes...well I'd certainly say that those were vital skills. If I'm ever required to design my own brand of soup and draw a flowchart to illustrate my thought processes, I'm well set up to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryrandom)
    No can't believe you said that Latin is usless, I love(d) Latin! We had a real teacher in the classroom though, so it might have made the difference. It's helped me alot with understanding the english language, and will help me when I learn other european languages. Also Latin teachers are just the kookiest and funniest and are great entertainment!
    yeah, but you cannt exactly say it was useFULL can you, fun meby but you aint gona get a job from it realy are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdm708)
    I reckon food tech should have 3 modules:
    1) Fast food restaurant etiquette
    2) Mircowave skills
    3) Food Poisoning: the facts (let's face it, it's quite a common problem nowadays lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryrandom)
    I reckon food tech should have 3 modules:
    1) Fast food restaurant etiquette
    2) Mircowave skills
    3) Food Poisoning: the facts (let's face it, it's quite a common problem nowadays lol)
    What, you mean there not supposed to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heminder)
    my useless: religious studies, citizenship, IT, english (especially literature)...
    my pointless: business studies, art...
    pre-gcse: food tech, careers...
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    :cool: i would definately have to agree with RE. spent most the time watching the class rip the p*ss out of the teacher....and still managed an A*. definately challenging that one :eek: . the second would have to be RSA IT. you spent two years bustin your ass off to do all these stupid little mini tests....only for your teacher to have a mental break down and lose your tests anyway.so i never actually passed that......bummer.

ReputationRep:
    *Agrees with literature* Without sounding unsympathetic, who the hell cares about Jane Eyre?

*Latin* Ah, forgot about that, its been so long since I did that... now I get it that some 50% of European words come from Latin but how does that help? Knowing "argentarius" is Latin for bankers doesn't help me know that "argent" is French for currency. You have to learn them separately.

ReputationRep:
    (squidge PINK!!) :cool:

Ok as for cookery?..i mean god ur gonna have to learn to feed urself some time in ur life...oh i dint knw abt RE...i thought u can chose btw business studies and tht (dunt ask me how i got that impression) but home science (as we called it) was crap...ewww ..was usefull ..they taught us how to cook,clean,sew...just culdnt bother payin attn. so it was redundant.
    heh.
    It just gets me...like cramming nights bfore ur exms wen u wonder how styles of medieval architecture or the russian revolution is gonna make u a richer happier soul ...but *sigh* pie makin...is a skill of gastronomical proportions which cant be taken lightly :p:

ReputationRep:
    The only remotely interesting thing that happened to me in cookery is that my gloves caught on fire while they were on. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    rofl @ HearTheThunder (poor u...oh um...wot did happen after that...bet the first aid classes werent that usless eh =p )

hmm i know im being a thread killer here..but are posts u make on a thread u started also included in ur 'posts' count??... o_O

ReputationRep:
    ICT. Reading used car sales magazines, entering the data into a spreadsheet and then writing a 60-page essay on the process? Please. The only thing I learned was how to stretch my patience.

ReputationRep:
    sociology, hated every second of it

ReputationRep:
    SOCIOLOGY???!!

how HOW can that be....*huffs*
    u have a lotta explanin to do!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.