Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since we seem to keep having this conversation in lots of different threads, we may as well have a home for people who are trying to figure out how to pack their entire life into two suitcases for the airplane luggage restrictions :p:

So that we can have a place for all the facts...

Name:
    College:
    Course:
    Nationality:
    Country of residence:
    Are you going to the 'International thing'?

ReputationRep:
    To start it off!

Name: Claire
    College: Castle
    Course: History
    Nationality: Canadian
    Country of residence: USA
    Are you going to the 'International thing'? Yes! Everyone should go

ReputationRep:
    Here you go--I saw how lonely and unpopular your thread was, so I decided to save your dignity

Name: Alexander (if you have the patience), Sasha (if you are wise like Master Yoda and know it's not a female name!)
    College: St.John's
    Course: Law (to contact me, call 1-800-SUE)
    Nationality: Ukrainian
    Country of residence: Czech Republic/Slovakia/Ukraine (you try living in 3 homes at the same time)

Are you going to the 'International thing'? The "International Thing" (you need to get out of the US NOW) is actually called the International Students' Induction Ceremony. I believe that's a sexy name for getting drunk and bemoaning the distance that we've travelled and how we had to pay 3 tickets' worth of money for packing too much garbage in our suitcases.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who's seen the surge suppressor thread probably knows this already but nevermind...

Name: Vanessa
    College: Hatfield
    Course: Law
    Nationality: British
    Country of residence: Hong Kong
    Are you going to the 'International thing'? Yup! Better chance of getting better rooms.

ReputationRep:
    Name: Vickie
    College: Collingwood
    Country of residence: Switzerland
    Nationality: Swedish
    Are you going to the 'International thing'? : What is the international thing? Was there information about it in your welcome packs? I haven't gotten mine yet, I assume its in the post.

ReputationRep:
    Two other people called it the 'International thing' after I did, so there :p:

The International 'thing' is the International Students Induction Programme, which runs from the 29th of September until the start of the 'real' Fresher's Week. There should be information about it in your Fresher's Pack, or you can go on the International website through the main Durham website

ReputationRep:
    Name: Herman
    College: Trev
    Nationality: Canadian / Hong Kong
    Country of residence: Canada / Hong Kong
    Are you going to the 'International thing'?[/QUOTE] Definately, beat the chaotic traffic jam on Oct 2nd and like igzy said, get better rooms

side question, did all of you get the entry clearance / visa done with yet?

ReputationRep:
    Name: Imogen
    College: Hild/Bede
    Course: English
    Nationality: Australian
    Country of residence: Australia
    Are you going to the 'International thing'?: How else will I find friends? Haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -SKYLINE-)

side question, did all of you get the entry clearance / visa done with yet?
    I haven't even started mine yet. It says I need a fee statement from Durham before I can, and I haven't gotten one yet :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Don't all you foreign lot have to pay stupidly inflated tuition fees as well as travelling half the way round the world?

Stucky deal, that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it's still less than a uni in the USA. My top choice here would have cost about $35,000 (about 17,000 pounds) in tuition alone every year :eek:

ReputationRep:
    wow.

Are the exchange rates that bad? What has Bush done to the worth of the dollar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morals_officer)
    Don't all you foreign lot have to pay stupidly inflated tuition fees as well as travelling half the way round the world?

Stucky deal, that.

Yeah, so we expect some gratitude from you British leeches as we pay for your schooling! As to the visas, it takes from one day to 10 days, depending on whether you have an interview on the same day that you submit the ridiculously huge pile of documents for the visa (anyone else have to get letters from prospective employers, bank statements for 3 months, letters proving that the fees have been transfferred and every other piece of paper on earth?).

Imogen--that's an amazing name, sounds rather Egyptian. What's even more amazing is that I know someone who'll be at Durham next year with the very same name...that's like two lightning bolts striking the exact same spot!

ReputationRep:
    Leeches?

And you'll be living off our taxes, and probably claiming benefit as well! Damned Johnny Foreigner coming over here, and taking our money and our women! Back to Tortuga with, you, I say.

ReputationRep:
    wow.

Are the exchange rates that bad? What has Bush done to the worth of the dollar?
    Destroyed it :mad:

(anyone else have to get letters from prospective employers, bank statements for 3 months, letters proving that the fees have been transfferred and every other piece of paper on earth?).
    I do. I can understand if we needed it just to get the visa itself, but why do I have to carry every single piece of paper with me when I travel :confused: I've already shown it all to them to get the stupid visa.

Damned Johnny Foreigner coming over here, and taking our money and our women!
    I won't be taking your women, so don't worry :p: Your men, on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    Leeches?

And you'll be living off our taxes, and probably claiming benefit as well! Damned Johnny Foreigner coming over here, and taking our money and our women! Back to Tortuga with, you, I say.

1. You don't pay taxes--last time I checked, those making money as gigolos weren't taxed.
    2. You're right about your women.
    3. How am I going to be living off 'your' (even though you don't pay them) tax money? We pay 9 grand for tution, 3 for accomodation and another 5 at least for living costs--all of this goes into your economy since taxes are paid on the money--and this money goes where? Guess..guess! Your student loans, your almost non-existant tuition payments, your healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    I won't rest until you spend 20 hours a day harvesting beet.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if this applies to all international students, but I just confirmed with Trev that International Students DO NOT have to share rooms. MUHAHAHHHAH... I would suggest those of you who do not want to share rooms to contact your college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -SKYLINE-)
    Dunno if this applies to all international students, but I just confirmed with Trev that International Students DO NOT have to share rooms. MUHAHAHHHAH... I would suggest those of you who do not want to share rooms to contact your college.
    Do you guys know when exactly we are supposed to arrive? I've seen dates ranging from the 27th-29th of September in my information. And did any of you get the "provisional timetable of events" in your fresher's packs? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Karim
    College: Mary's
    Nationality: Hungarian
    Country of residence: United Arab Emirates
    Are you going to the 'International thing'? You know it

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 5, 2005
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.