The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Piggybacking is to be frowned upon. You could be charged under the Communications Act for dishonestly obtaining communications services. The Act says: "A person who (a) dishonestly obtains an electronic communications service, and (b) does so with intent to avoid payment of a charge applicable to the provision of that service, is guilty of an offence."
Hmm is that about connecting to an unsecured network or hacking a WEP/WPA number.
Reply 3
yes how can it be a crime to use an unsecured network?
Do a lot of people do that? I know LOADS of my friends do it. And a lot of places offer free wi-fi.
Surely if you're stupid enough not to password protect your network, you're basically agreeing to letting people leech off it!
Tbh if someone hasn't put protection on their network it's unlikely they'll know how to track who is using it. I hope :ninja:

Unless they are leaving it open to steal your details :holmes:
Reply 6
danny111
yes how can it be a crime to use an unsecured network?

Because you do not own it, and someone else does, and has to pay for it. Yes it's bloody stupid to leave it unprotected, but it's still a crime to use the WiFi. Think of it like owning a house. yes you're a bloody moron for not locking your doors when you leave, but it doesn't mean anyone off the street can move in
if you hack a wireless password you are committing an offence under the Computer Misuse Act which carries 10 5 Years Prison Max and/or Unlimited Fine! However if you just connect to someone else's network that isn't secured to my knowledge you are not breaking the law, however unless your computer is secure then you may be hacked by someone else.

EDIT: 10yrs Changed to 5yrs after Mad Vlad Reminded me :p:
Strangey
Because you do not own it, and someone else does, and has to pay for it. Yes it's bloody stupid to leave it unprotected, but it's still a crime to use the WiFi. Think of it like owning a house. yes you're a bloody moron for not locking your doors when you leave, but it doesn't mean anyone off the street can move in

Strangey

double post? :p:
Reply 9
The-Wi$e-One

double post? :p:

It's true! My internet went silly (some idiot on my WiFi, no doubt :biggrin: ) so I resent it twice. Bad news.
Strangey
It's true! My internet went silly (some idiot on my WiFi, no doubt :biggrin: ) so I resent it twice. Bad news.

yeah it must be :biggrin:, i would call you a n00b but since you've been a member since '07 i can't really :p:
Reply 11
Gemma :)!
Do a lot of people do that? I know LOADS of my friends do it. And a lot of places offer free wi-fi.
Surely if you're stupid enough not to password protect your network, you're basically agreeing to letting people leech off it!

So if you leave your bike unsecured outside a shop, you're agreeing to let people take it without your permission?

While the access is there, you still need expressed permission to use the network, or you're in breach of Section 125 of the Communications Act 2003.
Reply 12
The-Wi$e-One
if you hack a wireless password you are committing an offence under the Computer Misuse Act which carries 10 Years Prison Max and/or Unlimited Fine! However if you just connect to someone else's network that isn't secured to my knowledge you are not breaking the law, however unless your computer is secure then you may be hacked by someone else.

5 Years.
Mad Vlad
5 Years.

lol, thanks Vlad don't know where I got 10 years from, damn memory!
Reply 14
The-Wi$e-One
lol, thanks Vlad don't know where I got 10 years from, damn memory!

S'alright :awesome:
Reply 15
To be honest though, what evidence could someone gather that would prove that you did something?
Reply 16
No i was just wondering like how long you would get in jail O.o. I know its a crime. And no its not an unsecured network.
Reply 17
To be honest though, what evidence could someone gather that would prove that you did something?

They could contact their ISP which would trace you IPs and stuff... if they want to get you they will.

I'm guessing that it would be quite easy to show that you connected to their router.
Fyasko
No i was just wondering like how long you would get in jail O.o. I know its a crime. And no its not an unsecured network.

5 years, Unlimited Fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending