Turn on thread page Beta

Birmingham (i.e the City of) is Rubbish - DISCUSS watch

ReputationRep:
    Why do people constantly diss Birmingham? It's actually quite good! Most people insult it when they've never set foot in the city

ReputationRep:
    true...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blanco Ballo)
    Why do people constantly diss Birmingham? It's actually quite good! Most people insult it when they've never set foot in the city
    Agree totally. Most people haven't been since the regeneration took over. I love the place, great vibe, pretty modern and always something going on! Go on people, give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blanco Ballo)
    lol, I clicked this thread with smoke about to come out of my ears and ready to be on the defensive, but nice to see something good said!

a bit like brum's entry on the crap towns website... "well, the thing about birmingham is that it's just not crap!"

ReputationRep:
    The shopping is better than Oxford Street - less crowded, no traffic, total love! However, the people there are quite unpleasant, even the ones working in the shops. I like it there but would never live there.

ReputationRep:
    i aint hear anyone say anything bad about bham.

im actually going to aston uni because im fed up of london and want a change of city scenery. when i went for open day i knew that bham was going to be the best place for me due to its city centre and surrounding area.

bhams got my vote

but then again i was watchin bravo and a program called worst places in britain and up came bham with its gun crime on the increase.

seomthing about postcode wars againt b21 and others. kinda threw me off but then again gun crime is everywhere and the program just hyped it up.

theres always going to be good and bad parts of every city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makeshiftwings)
    The shopping is better than Oxford Street - less crowded, no traffic, total love! However, the people there are quite unpleasant, even the ones working in the shops. I like it there but would never live there.
    just because you dont like the brummie accent :p: stupid prejudice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makeshiftwings)
    ...the chavs, you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    just because you dont like the brummie accent :p: stupid prejudice
    Just?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heminder)
    ...the chavs, you mean?
    Haha..

They say that the Selfridges building makes everything else look so much better! :p: I've lived in Brum for most of my life (up til a few weeks ago) and I love it to pieces. Though I do think residents will like the city more than people that come and go..

ReputationRep:
    I just think it was a bit lame when the regional cities had a 'regeneration' ie. they built a few pretty glass office blocks (which remained empty due to commercial insuitability), and filled their high streets with mobile phone shops. You can convince Harvey Nichols to open up but you'll still get scabby chavs hanging around outside.

What makes a city good is a fast, extensive public transport network. Original internationally recognised culture. International private investment. And a pretty skyline!

ReputationRep:
    erm...i was there last thursday. its a bit like a 2nd version of manchester. except the lay out of those shopping centre looks like those in the 70s.i even got lost wondering where's the regeneration go?

ReputationRep:
    Ive only even been to shop and have always enjoyed the wide range of shops, the only thing i dont particularly like is the Selfridges building/bullring with those silver cup things stuck on the outside..

ReputationRep:
    I live in Birmingham and its greeeat.

ReputationRep:
    I do love Brum, lived here all my life. I mean, ok, it's like any other city in that there can be some horrible people, horrible areas and some tongue-in-cheek architechture...

And for people who say they can't see the regeneration - you should have seen the place 10 years ago - back then I was ashamed to be a Brummy...

ReputationRep:
    I've only driven through a few times and spent a few hours there, but it's not my sort of place. At all. I'm sure it's a charming place if you give it a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharXlotte)
    Haha..

They say that the Selfridges building makes everything else look so much better! :p:
    I don't like the Selfridges in the Bull Ring

Anyway, I don't live in Birmingham but about 20 miles(ish) north of it and it's just like any other city really - some slightly scutty places (:p: ) and some nicer places like Brindely Place, Broad Street etc...

Hmm. I like it

ReputationRep:
    I love Birmingham, it has everything you need. I agree there are some horrible parts but I can think of an equivalent in most if not all big cities, but i find most of the peopel are friendly and touch wood i have never had a bad experience on a night out. I wish they would knock the Rotunda down though!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I live in Brum and yeah, it's a great place to live but I have noticed bad attitudes are on the rise over here. Call me paranoid but I look at the floor when I walk about town now so that I don't get accused of 'eye-balling' someone! It has happened to me more than once.

I grew up in the Cape Hill/Edgbaston/Winson Green areas and I've seen them lose a great quality. The area just seems full of racial tension now.

I'm not *****ing... I'm just not a crowded city kinda chick.

ReputationRep:
    I went to bham today(bullring) today. I prefer it to london, because Its cleaner and smaller(less walking).
    I think its a pretty cool city. My dads friend lives in a huge house next to bham uni in egbaston. Thats the only area Ive only really been to, and it was very nice.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.