Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Titled like so to help other LLB students)

Hello TSR,
    I am a year one Law student atm, and my criminal law exam is in less than 2 weeks , shocking how quickly a year goes by.

My problem is my current notes and work. I have been thwarted in my first year as I live at home and travel to uni, however this hasnt happenned on numerous occasions due to annoying bus diversions meaning the buses dont run past my area and I have no other methods of transport.

Does anyone have, or know where I can find a list of all the topics/syllabus/checklist for this subject? I need to fill in the gaps in my knowledge fast...and unfortunetly evryone I have asked is unwilling to lend me notes, although tbh I can see why when I dont live on campus, and the uni lecturers aren't easy to contact due to a clash of busy schedules as I work too and often have to dash away from uni as soon as lectures/tutorials are done.

I am also looking for similar in con+ad and contract.

I was thinking we could all share exam prep techniques etc so that we could help each other out.

For example, my personal technique is:
    Mindmap everything I know, then make emphasis on what I dont know.
    Previous Exam Q's + feedback/m.schemes
    Go through notes in order whenever possible.
    All 3 combined and done as much as possible.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Im also a first year student . . . and im doing both criminal and contract.
    Im not sure whether or not the topics are the same in all universities but we have covered:
    -actus reus, mens rea, coincidence
    -homicide, causation
    -assualts
    -theft, burgulary
    -attempts
    -defences

Hope this helps.

If you have any questions then feel free to pm me.
    Sammi x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andygcfc)
    (Titled like so to help other LLB students)

Hello TSR,
    I am a year one Law student atm, and my criminal law exam is in less than 2 weeks , shocking how quickly a year goes by.

My problem is my current notes and work. I have been thwarted in my first year as I live at home and travel to uni, however this hasnt happenned on numerous occasions due to annoying bus diversions meaning the buses dont run past my area and I have no other methods of transport.

Does anyone have, or know where I can find a list of all the topics/syllabus/checklist for this subject? I need to fill in the gaps in my knowledge fast...and unfortunetly evryone I have asked is unwilling to lend me notes, although tbh I can see why when I dont live on campus, and the uni lecturers aren't easy to contact due to a clash of busy schedules as I work too and often have to dash away from uni as soon as lectures/tutorials are done.

I am also looking for similar in con+ad and contract.

I was thinking we could all share exam prep techniques etc so that we could help each other out.

For example, my personal technique is:
    Mindmap everything I know, then make emphasis on what I dont know.
    Previous Exam Q's + feedback/m.schemes
    Go through notes in order whenever possible.
    All 3 combined and done as much as possible.

Thanks in advance
    It depends on your Uni as to what topics, statutes and cases are given weight - so you'll want to use your uni's online facilitiles (or hard copy equivalent) to find out what these are

The best summary of all the topics I have found in an easy to understand (all be it slightly lacking in depth), which really helped get me through first year at the Pearson Education Law Express series. They definitely have Criminal and Contract in the series, as well as most subjects (they have all the subjects I did last year - EU, Public, Criminal, Contract and all this years - Tort, Trusts, Land, Family).

For each subject, you'll probably want to use the recommended text book at your uni - for us it was Clarkson & Keating

I'm not sure what level 1 refers to? The fact you're an undergraduate student? Or the level of the exams themselves? All of ours exams were apparently "level 6", though what that means and what difference there is, I have no idea

In terms of the topics that are covered as standard in Criminal:

Homicide (Murder)
    Including definition of murder (unlawfully killing someone in being with malice aforethought under the queens peace)
    Also the defences that reduce murder to manslaughter, including specifically murder-related defences (ie provocation) and general defences (ie self defence)

The types of manslaughter (constructive, gross negligence, possible 3rd - reckless)
    And voluntary/involuntary manslaughter

Actus reus (guilty act) and Mens rea (guilty mind) and all of the constituent elements of these

Defences
    (self defence, intoxication, automatism, insanity and duress)

Inchoate liability
    (the incohoate offences - incitement, conspiracy and attempt - essentially, incomplete offences.)

Accessorial liability
    (not massively important)

Non fatal offences
    (order of seriousness - most to least - GBH, ABH, Battery)

Sexual offences
    (focus on Sexual Offences Act 2003 and changes it brought)

Theft
    & Theft Related Offences
    (burglary, robbery)
    (very important to note THEY AREN'T THE SAME! and have their own unique definitions - robbery is theft facilitated by force while burglary is property specific)

Fraud

Know all of these, with statutory provisions and important cases and you'll breeze it

As for revision,

Step 1.) Learn the key concepts and supporting cases/statutes

Step 2.) Go through the textbook to look at discussion etc to use in essays

Step 3.) Use lecture slides/tutorial handouts to relate it back to your university's course outline

Step 4.) Go through past papers to decipher what questions frequently occur (for essays)

Then finally Step 5.) Practice paper essay questions - see if you can scribble down good points for both sides and supporting cases/statutory provisions and for problem questions, make sure you know how to do them.

Criminal problem questions are ESPECIALLY easy.
    Identify all of the offences in the passage
    Set out your answer by dealing with the most serious offences first, and working down
    Identify the mens rea and actus reus of the offence and where this can be seen to have occurred in the passage
    Decide whether the person is liable for this offence - using case law to support your decision (ie if it includes possible liability for non fatal offences mention the OPA offences against the person act and where it relates)
    Any defences that would clear the defendant or decrease his culpability

Done!

ReputationRep:
    Im gonna bump this for anyone else who could use this help

And in response, when I say level 1, I mean first year at uni studying LLB Law. and im at staffs .

ReputationRep:
    hi i m LLB Lv1 Law student i need help to do my assiment pls help thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.