The Student Room Group

Anyone Need Hair Help????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovelabradors
H Scott.

Thank u so much. :smile: Could u please tell me, is the Argan oil mask from Lee Stafford advisable to fine hair? My hair is fine and I need to wash it every other day or else I get only roots.

To my knowledge the Argan Oil is just a one size fits all. If you have fine hair you would be better off using this product and then applying a Volumizing Mousse and drying the hair with an Air Styler (That's a round brush and hairdryer combined). The Mask will give you condition and the Mousse and AirStyling with give you volume.

Also, try using dry shampoo on your hair every other day. This will prevent the greasy roots and mean you won't have to wash every day.

Cheers

Scott
Original post by ScottCornwall
To my knowledge the Argan Oil is just a one size fits all. If you have fine hair you would be better off using this product and then applying a Volumizing Mousse and drying the hair with an Air Styler (That's a round brush and hairdryer combined). The Mask will give you condition and the Mousse and AirStyling with give you volume.

Also, try using dry shampoo on your hair every other day. This will prevent the greasy roots and mean you won't have to wash every day.

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott.

Thank u so much. But I don't blow dry my hair. My hair is wavy so I let ir air dry.
Hi my hair is dark brown i want to lighten it,i have used colour b4,a few weeks ago and it took my to medium brown with light roots,alot of copper ,no way i could go out like it,so i put another dye straight on,hey presto back to dark,i'm planning on doing it again,but how?if i used colour b4 twice got it as light as possible then put a semi dark blonde on ( which scott has recom b4 in a previous post) will it be ok?
hi, i need to start doing a new hairstyle for school im getting bored i currently go for a pineapple head look but not on top on top of my head if you know what i mean or i will straighten my hair and out it in a high pony. i also to add have a slightly large nose not massive but its there lol and i get conscious if i have my hair on one side or something because i feel that it make my nose big any advice?
For all hair enthusiasts I recommend Wash 'n' Go

Reply 245
atm im using my hair wax to style my hair (im a guy) and thats it

is hair putty/wax meant to be used aswell as something else like hairspray to hold the hair ?, or is it fine the way it is
Reply 246
Hiya :biggrin: Needing hair help if anyone is happy to help :smile:

I had bleached blonde hair around a year ago and decided to go dark. My hairdresser put a semi light brown on the bleach but it did not stick fully and ended up all patchy, so she then put a darker semi ontop. After that, every time I went back I had a medium brown Quasi put on it, but it kept getting darker and darker until it was almost black! I have since stopped getting a semi applied all over and have just been doing the roots myself with a semi brown. This got my hair to an all over dark brown colour.

I stopped putting anything on it completely for 3 months and have put Colour before Extra on it today. I now have 3 inchs of really light blonde roots (natural blonde), followed by 3 inches of dark ginger, then the rest of my hair is still dark brown!

I'm not sure what to do now, should I apply another Colour Before Extra in a few weeks time? See if it lifts the ends any further and then put a dark blonde semi on?

Any help would be greatly appreciate, as I currently look like a rainbow x :smile:
Original post by ScottCornwall
Hi Everyone,

As you know I give hair advice and try as best as I can to come on here and answer your questions. However, quite often I miss many of your questions because five get posted at once and I only see the first and last!

I'm trying to build a hair resouce on my website which will hold a wealth of information which people can just go onto and receive the answer they want.
Therefore (if you wouldn't mind helping me) I wondered if you could put your hair questions to me in this thread and I will a) answer them and b) use them on my site so you have access to them in the future.

The categories I'd really like questions on are:-

Style (cuts, home styling, perming, straightening etc)
Colour (all issues colour related)
Mens (Guys please send me anything grooming related and I'll help)

And anything else you can think of!

Again - sorry if I miss any of your questions - but hopefully if we can try and contain them within one thread I will have more chance finding them again.

Also - remember to join me on Facebook at 'Scott Cornwall Hair Expert' and on Twitter as I post updates and links to hair regularly on here too!

Kind Regards

Scott

Is it bad to straighten your hair on a daily basis if it's thin?
Reply 248
Hi Scott,
I hope you dont mind me asking for some hair advice. pretty please!
I have quite long very thick brown hair (kate middleton typeish) except mines very hard to manage!

firstly......

my hair keeps breaking at the ends, even after a cut i get these little white breaks and then it snaps? so when i do try and curl the ends or even just try and put some shape into it it ends up either going really flat, dry and frizzy, and when i try and brush it half breaks off and it ends up looking awful :frown:

the thing is, ive been dying my hair for the past 15 years, and ive had it all different colours including bleaching it, im 32 and about 50% grey, (so i need to dye it!) however i still have very dark roots with sparkly grey bits - not very attractive! and its driving me mad!

secondly....

I bleached it last year by having numerous foils applied until it was completely blonde, but although i thought i was grey enough that i wouldnt have dark roots unfortunately i did! so then had blonde lengths with dry ends and dark roots, when i went to the hairdressers they refused to put any bleach on it and came out really dissapointed.
but couldnt keep up with the dark roots without it affecting the rest of my hair and thus drying it out further!:mad:
(I would love to be a denise richards kind of ashy blonde) however end up looking more like the sun?!

thirdly....

as i am a student i am very short on funds and cannot afford the expense of the hairdressers for colours etc, so brought myself a koleston colour chart and decided to use those dyes instead of shop brought ones as i thought they would be better.

so now i am back to having long thick brown hair, fighting off the greys fortnightly and desperate to save these ends!
ive been having it cut but within a week its always white tipped and split again :eek:
i really dont want to have it cut (well that short anyway)

I regularly use straighteners with protection to try and tame this mane! and even tried heated rollers to try and create that curled effect however it just ends up looking awful!!!
i spoke to my hairdresser about a perm, as that way i wouldnt have to use straighteners or scrape it back, but she said it would be the worst decision of my life and wouldnt entertain it as she said it would dry it out too much.

so i have this massive hair that i just dont know what to do with it to
1 look nice with a nice colour
2 stop it breaking!

i can see youve helped so many people so feel bad asking for help but i would be so grateful if you could offer me ANY advice, i am at my wits end with it.

thanking you muchly.
x:smile:
Reply 249
Hi Scott

Great thread :smile:

Firstly, What do you suggest for covering up grey? What you recommend for someone who had mid length hair (female) and didn't want to go completely blonde?

Secondly, how would you (in salon) achieve subtle, non blocky highlights?

Thanks
I posted this as a thread but have only got one reply so I thought I'd ask you.

I've got layered shoulder length wavy hair. It's light brown with a tinge of blonde/auburn depending on the light.

I'm wondereing about dip-dying it.

What colours should I do it and how? (As in all to the same level, so longer layers have the most and some of the shorter layers will only have a tiny bit, BUT if I do this and it goes wonky it'll look odd won't it? so should i jsut do a little bit here and there?) or what?
Reply 251
Clare bear - I'm not Scott so have no idea about what his response will be but if you go to a 'top salon' they very often do free consultations so you could always have a chat, they are usually free too with no obligation
Thanks :smile: There aren't any 'top' salons round here. In my nearest town there are two that do a cut and blow dry for £10/£15 . . . one of the hairdressers (who had bright pink hair) told me to go as long as possible before dyeing my hair cos it ruins it! But surely just a bit of dip-dye for the bottom couple of cm that'll be cut off the next time I go to the hairdressers anyway wouldn't damage it permenantly would it.
Reply 253
Dip dying techniques do as far as I know involve dyeing the weakest part of your hair (I'm no hairdresser) so I'd say do use a weekly conditioning treatment but apart from that run it past a hairdresser see what they say and then make a decision :smile:
Reply 254
Hi all,

Over the passed two months I've made the active decision to improve my style which was a decision based on the result of a few embarrassing situations that I wont go into.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a hairstyle that will suit me. I'm starting a new job in early June in a fairly professional environment so it needs to be fairly short and maintainable. Can someone give me some insight as to what hairstyles I could get away with?

To be honest, I've never been to a hair stylist before - I usually go to a "walk-in barber" so any advice would be really helpful.

I've posted a pic below if it helps. Forgive the cuts on my face (if you can see them), I've just had an encounter with a straight razor (ouch!).

Thanks,
Mike

faceshot.png
Hi, i have relaxed, but still frizzy, thick african hair that i have to straighten every time i wash it but i need a new inexpensive hair straightener, i don't know ANYTHING about straighteners though and i don't have a lot of money either. So, yeah, if anyone is SURE about hair straighteners(if something goes wrong with my hair i will hunt u down and eat ur face :colone: ), i'd like some help. Cheers
Original post by sheepstick
hi, i need to start doing a new hairstyle for school im getting bored i currently go for a pineapple head look but not on top on top of my head if you know what i mean or i will straighten my hair and out it in a high pony. i also to add have a slightly large nose not massive but its there lol and i get conscious if i have my hair on one side or something because i feel that it make my nose big any advice?

Hi Sheepstick, I can't see you so I can be honest about your claims of having a big nose (I'm sure it's not that big). Best example of good hair on someone with sharper facial features is Sarah Jessica Parker. She wears her hair long in waves and with a centre parting so the bulk at the side of her face with the waves draws it out and lessens her nose.

Wearing hair straight on a facial type like this can drag the overall face down. Scraping the hair back can also look harsh, unless you grab it into a ponytail and curl the hair in that ponytail.

Happy to explain more :wink:
Original post by cgvince
atm im using my hair wax to style my hair (im a guy) and thats it

is hair putty/wax meant to be used aswell as something else like hairspray to hold the hair ?, or is it fine the way it is

It depends, I'd only use wax on it's own. You can actually use hairspray on wet hair and manipulate it and let it dry. Adding hairspray to waxed hair will make it crisp though.
Original post by madmoo2
Hi Scott,
I hope you dont mind me asking for some hair advice. pretty please!
I have quite long very thick brown hair (kate middleton typeish) except mines very hard to manage!

firstly......

my hair keeps breaking at the ends, even after a cut i get these little white breaks and then it snaps? so when i do try and curl the ends or even just try and put some shape into it it ends up either going really flat, dry and frizzy, and when i try and brush it half breaks off and it ends up looking awful :frown:

the thing is, ive been dying my hair for the past 15 years, and ive had it all different colours including bleaching it, im 32 and about 50% grey, (so i need to dye it!) however i still have very dark roots with sparkly grey bits - not very attractive! and its driving me mad!

secondly....

I bleached it last year by having numerous foils applied until it was completely blonde, but although i thought i was grey enough that i wouldnt have dark roots unfortunately i did! so then had blonde lengths with dry ends and dark roots, when i went to the hairdressers they refused to put any bleach on it and came out really dissapointed.
but couldnt keep up with the dark roots without it affecting the rest of my hair and thus drying it out further!:mad:
(I would love to be a denise richards kind of ashy blonde) however end up looking more like the sun?!

thirdly....

as i am a student i am very short on funds and cannot afford the expense of the hairdressers for colours etc, so brought myself a koleston colour chart and decided to use those dyes instead of shop brought ones as i thought they would be better.

so now i am back to having long thick brown hair, fighting off the greys fortnightly and desperate to save these ends!
ive been having it cut but within a week its always white tipped and split again :eek:
i really dont want to have it cut (well that short anyway)

I regularly use straighteners with protection to try and tame this mane! and even tried heated rollers to try and create that curled effect however it just ends up looking awful!!!
i spoke to my hairdresser about a perm, as that way i wouldnt have to use straighteners or scrape it back, but she said it would be the worst decision of my life and wouldnt entertain it as she said it would dry it out too much.

so i have this massive hair that i just dont know what to do with it to
1 look nice with a nice colour
2 stop it breaking!

i can see youve helped so many people so feel bad asking for help but i would be so grateful if you could offer me ANY advice, i am at my wits end with it.

thanking you muchly.
x:smile:

This message was sent quite a while ago, what is the situation with your hair now? I also try to answer questions on Facebook so you could re-post on my page too as you seem to have a few issues going on here that could conflict.

Cheers

Scott
Original post by Syrupie
Hi Scott

Great thread :smile:

Firstly, What do you suggest for covering up grey? What you recommend for someone who had mid length hair (female) and didn't want to go completely blonde?

Secondly, how would you (in salon) achieve subtle, non blocky highlights?

Thanks

Hi, It depends how grey you are. If you have only started going grey you should just buy a Clairol Root Touch up in a 7.0 Medium blonde and mix small amounts at a time and dab it onto the white hair, this should cover it.

In a salon I'd use foils and weave out really fine sections. There is also another method called chamoflauging, where you apply thicker highlights with bleach and then apply a soft blonde tone on tone throughout the whole head. This creates a softer muted blonde, but natural multi tonal effect.

Cheers

Scott

Quick Reply

Latest