The Student Room Group

Anyone Need Hair Help????

Scroll to see replies

Nidhogg_Rider
Hi,

Basically, how do I go about getting a good 'asian' style haircut?

I mean, I went to Hong Kong a year ago and had a haircut then, I was so much happier with the way my hair had been cut. Nothing i've had since or before even compared so what can I do to try and replicate the results here?

For reference I mean like hairstyles you might find here:

http://www.beauty-box.jp/style/mens/

Sorry if this is a bit of an awkward question!

Hi Nodhogg, It's not an awkward question it's a perfectly understandable one.

Asian Oriental hair is great but very stong and has an 's band' at the roots which makes it 'spring out'. It's good hair to cut but you have to be very heavy handed with the scissors and both 'hack it' and be careful not to take too much weight out of it otherwise it will stand outward and look big.

Here in London there are tons of Japanesse hairdressers who are excellent at cutting. Its very difficult for me to suggest where you go to as I don't know where you are based. The only idea I have is you contact Yuko System (the japanesse hair straightening company) and ask them if they supply to any oriental salons in your region and explain you are looking for someone who is expert at dealing with your hair type for cutting:-

http://yuko-london.com/

Make sure you explain you are looking for an asian/oriental hairstylist who can cut your hairtype. I feel certain they maybe able to recommend someone as they sell their straightening system all over and it was designed for this type of hair.

Hope that helps

Regards

Scott
jeffers86
Ok I would like hair like this.

http://mensfashion.about.com/od/goominghair/ss/PEfall05hairmed_9.htm

http://coolmenshair.com/2008/07/chace-crawford-hairstyle.html

Can I go to any hairdressers to get this done or will I need to go to a salon and pay £30+, one of the sites says that the hair is razor cut? I've never been to a salon in my life as my mum is a hairdresser. What would I ask for? Just take in a photo or two?

Thanks for your help.

I hadn't been into a salon until I was in my early teens as my Mum was also a hairdresser.

You should never pay £30 plus for a men's haircut unless you are going to a really top salon. To be honest both cuts look as though they are razor cut, if you printed those photos out and took them in with you a hairdresser should be able to replicate it if you have the right type of hair - which needs to be quite thick.

Regards

Scott
For you - I'd recommend this - but with a bit more length at the back too:-

http://static.becomegorgeous.com/gallery/pictures/men7_hairstylefogall.jpg

Those cuts you showed were mostly about the blow-dry. I think if you grew your hair like that it would look quite heavy as you appear to have thick hair which could do with a lot of the bulk being taken out of.
They've thinned that out too much. You want to use wax and hairspray to get that look. Keep the hair long and thick at the front and get them to chop into the ends, have the length the same as the top at the back (so you have almost a sensible mohawk effect going on) and get them to take the sides quite short and close. But don't let them take too much weight out of the front/top as you want to be able to spike it out.
Reply 44
Hey,
I dyed my hair today using a semi permanant dye, and the result wasn't as red as i hoped for
I used a dark mahogony, but was hoping for something a bit more 'fire engine' but not too extreme.
How soon can i redye my hair and what would you reccomend i use?
I colour my hair regularly, about every 2/3 months, but it is in very good condition however there is obviously a build up of colour on the bottom of my hair so what can i use to make sure i get an even colour?
Thanks!
Hi Mary, you won't really get bright vibrant reds if you use a mahogony. Mahogony colours are based on violet tone and although they include red this red pigments will typically be eated up by the hair to give a an even deep shade.

If you now have quite a basic brunette depth I'd suggest you need to apply a pure red colourant to it. If you go to Boots and try to find something in the Casting range (there is a red one) and overlay this you will get a much redder colour. Schwarzkopf XXL do Red Passion which is very red and will give you a good result - but just beware that shade won't come out easily once you've put it in.

Regards

Scott
Hello
I've developed a really wierd very thin patch at the front of my scalp, which makes my entire frontal cranium visibal and is hard to hide (I've tried just about everything I can think of). Are there any styles/treatments that you would recommend?
Thanks
ScottCornwall
Scott

Hiya. I noticed you mentioned you're Yuko system trained. Would you recommend it for afro-carribbean hair? Some say yes and some say absolutely no.
Historians drink free
Hello
I've developed a really wierd very thin patch at the front of my scalp, which makes my entire frontal cranium visibal and is hard to hide (I've tried just about everything I can think of). Are there any styles/treatments that you would recommend?
Thanks

You should go to the doctor about that, as it could be a medical issue or maybe to do with diet. There are several things you can try to make it look thicker. Toppik is body building fibres which hide thin patches, you could also try spraying Regaine in it as this can encourage more hair growth. Also fine foil highlights can blend away thin patches. Block colour (especially dark colour) is quite harsh on finer hair.

Firstly, just check it out with your GP as it could be sorted easily with a course of medication.
La Trampa
Hiya. I noticed you mentioned you're Yuko system trained. Would you recommend it for afro-carribbean hair? Some say yes and some say absolutely no.

That really is the answer, it works for some afro hair types and not others. For example mixed race afro hair tends to work well, however general afro hair can be too course for the solution to work effectively.

You could try a new approach which is double wammy relaxing. Try a regular relaxing treatment followed immediately by a Brazilian Keratin Treatment, this should give you a smooth sleek, permanent result and works well with straightened afro hair.
ScottCornwall
That really is the answer, it works for some afro hair types and not others. For example mixed race afro hair tends to work well, however general afro hair can be too course for the solution to work effectively.

You could try a new approach which is double wammy relaxing. Try a regular relaxing treatment followed immediately by a Brazilian Keratin Treatment, this should give you a smooth sleek, permanent result and works well with straightened afro hair.

Thanks. Sorry this might turn into 21 questions.

You say it can work/it might not work effectively. Does this mean it does 'loosen' the curl pattern a bit? I'd rather not 'destroy' my hair on a double whammy lol I haven't relaxed my hair in ages because it's obviously not good for it and I wanted, if I went down that route again, to do something that wouldn't hurt it anymore than I already have. Have you noticed much success with the double whammy or even with the Brazillian treatment alone? Thanks.
Afro hair tends to have a thick cuticle layer (or several cuticle layers) therefore Yuko systems thio formula is often too weak to break through these layers to get into the hair and break the bonds. The hair then gets fried when its ironed.

However, the Brazilian Straightening System actually repairs and smooths damaged hair, so if you had a regular relaxer and then applied this treatment immediately afterwards the hair would respond and smooth out.

The only additional alternative is investing in a really high quality iron and ironing your hair smooth once a week. For £200 you would find one that would glide through your hair. Morrocan Argan Oil is the new miracle hair products which people claim smooths and hydrates hair. If you used this along with a super smooth iron you'd get good results.
Hi Scott,

I really fancy doing something different with my hair, and I was wondering what you'd recommend? I have very dark brown, almost black (as you can see in my profile picture - I'm the one on the right), waist-length hair. It's slightly shaped around my face, but is rather shapeless other than that. It's been the same style since I was about 4!

Earlier this month I tried using some of those wash in/wash out dye sachets (in both purple and red shades) but neither made any noticeable change to my hair.

Sorry for the vague question, but I thought I'd see if you could suggest anything :smile:
ScottCornwall
Afro hair tends to have a thick cuticle layer (or several cuticle layers) therefore Yuko systems thio formula is often too weak to break through these layers to get into the hair and break the bonds. The hair then gets fried when its ironed.

However, the Brazilian Straightening System actually repairs and smooths damaged hair, so if you had a regular relaxer and then applied this treatment immediately afterwards the hair would respond and smooth out.

The only additional alternative is investing in a really high quality iron and ironing your hair smooth once a week. For £200 you would find one that would glide through your hair. Morrocan Argan Oil is the new miracle hair products which people claim smooths and hydrates hair. If you used this along with a super smooth iron you'd get good results.

Thanks. I did a search for the Brazillian treatment and it seems promising, only problem is only one salon does it in Nottingham. This can't be right surely? Do you kow any of the big name salons that do it? I'd rather have it done by a pro/trusted name the first time round and spend quite a bit than risk it with a random salon.
Reply 54
Hi Scott,

I recently got my hair cut reasonably short (just above my shoulders). It isn't really curly, it's more wavy but when I put curling product in it it makes no difference.
How can I make my hair curlier? And what can I do to it so that it doesnt look like a birds nest (nice ways to do it up?).

Katie.
Thanks!
I'm set to see my GP. One question about Regaine: looking up about it I have noticed that (if) it works it is only temporary- does this mean that if I use it, and it (hopefully) works, I will have to use it indefinately?

Thanks again.
Reply 56
Hi Scott,

I was wondering if you can help..

Iv dyed my hair for many years ranging from bleach highlights to dark brown/red.. for the past couple of years I have used loreals recital preference tahiti brown (no 4). Which is what is currently on my hair..I have had my hair stripped of colour before at a salon (rather expensive) as I wanted it blonde/brown and it went a kind of orangy brown colour with a few lighter bits. I wasnt overly impressed, im not sure if they used bleach this time or not as it was a while ago! I am now wanting to get mainly blonde hair with a few lowlights through it and not entirely sure if this will work or if Ill end up with that orangy colour that I really didnt like on myself!! I also have fairly short hair if this helps at all..

Hope you can suggest something and thanks for your time!

Sophie
Reply 57
I am growing my hair at the moment. How often should I get it trimmed? Getting it trimmed every 6 weeks seems rather counter-productive.

My ends are not in bad condition at the moment, especially considering they haven't been trimmed in around 6 months! What can I do to ensure they remain in good condition? (At the moment, I condition my hair and try to use heat protectant whenever I use heat on my hair - which is daily!)
>Anna<
Hi Scott,

I really fancy doing something different with my hair, and I was wondering what you'd recommend? I have very dark brown, almost black (as you can see in my profile picture - I'm the one on the right), waist-length hair. It's slightly shaped around my face, but is rather shapeless other than that. It's been the same style since I was about 4!

Earlier this month I tried using some of those wash in/wash out dye sachets (in both purple and red shades) but neither made any noticeable change to my hair.

Sorry for the vague question, but I thought I'd see if you could suggest anything :smile:

Hi There, well firstly (I can't see so well in the photo), but I think you would look good with a nice sleek longer side fringe. I think keeping your hair long is a good move but you may want to get a few inches cut off and make sure the ends are very blunt (as opposed to split and fraid looking). Having blunt ends and a side fringe will immediately give your hair a polished edge.

With regards to the colour your hair is black, it won't show up any other colour as black is the darkest you can go so any other shades have no backdrop to sit against.

I'd actually suggest you find a salon and pay out to have medium (not fine not thick) weaves applied with bleach and 40 volume peroxide. L'Oreal Platinium paste is a good bleach to use as it keeps the hairs condition but lightens dark hair to pale. It might be worth you finding a L'oreal salon and paying what is required for these weaves as on long hair you will probably only need it doing once a year (if that!).

So what you will end up with is black hair with warm blonde highlights running throughout it which will look a little odd! LOL :yep: However, what you will have in your hair is a great canvas to apply temporary colours and achieve really fantastic effects which you can change when you want.

I would suggest the best temporary colour you could wash in would be plum, aubergine or violet. With these blonde weaves your hair will grab the plum and you will have a rich deep dark hair colour with slices of damson running through it.

Or - (when this starts to fade) you could be really bold and wash in electric blue? Or even bright red! You'd then have a rich glossy colour with vibrant scarlet tones.

If you fancy just going back to normal - then buy a Wella Colour Fresh 5.0 light brown and wash this in, this will blend the blonde away but again can fade out easily.

The range of colours you need to buy are in hairdressing wholesalers like Sally or sold at www.salonsdirect.com for fashion colours:-

Crazy Colour
(This will get your red, purple, electric blue etc)

and for normal looking colours:-
(This will re-create your natural colour or give you dark blonde)

None of these above colours will harm your hair and they will all fade out after a couple of washes. However, if you have those bleach highlights running through your long hair you will always be able to change your accent shade whenever you choose!

Regards

Scott

Wella Colour Fresh
La Trampa
Thanks. I did a search for the Brazillian treatment and it seems promising, only problem is only one salon does it in Nottingham. This can't be right surely? Do you kow any of the big name salons that do it? I'd rather have it done by a pro/trusted name the first time round and spend quite a bit than risk it with a random salon.

They all do it now. Lisa Shepherd is in the Midlands and she does it, but as for all the other salons they are all on board too. Personally I'd suggest Lisa Shepherd as she's a technical salon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending