Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was just in reading - a town near where i live, and this gangsta ish guy had this other ghetto ish man pressed up against a shop window and was demanding money off him and stuff, and i didn't know what to do so i just walked past and ignored it. considering as there were loads of other people around and i didn't know whether they were just arguing with eachother and actually knew one another or the guy was genuinely getting attacked i wasn't sure what to do.

ReputationRep:
    point...

ReputationRep:
    just leave well enough alone, if you don't get involved then they have no reason to do anything to you

ReputationRep:
    Youre a girl, you should have screamed! hehe

As a guy, i probably would have done nothing either. Don't worry about it, they were probably gangsters, and he probably owed him some money.

ReputationRep:
    this is marginally related, but i remembered it from somewhere, if you yourself are ever attacked, shout FIRE, because people will come to see what problem is to help, if you shout attack or other, people often ignore it or are too afraid to come out.

ReputationRep:
    I had a really really cool psychology professor one time (he was a genius - literally) and he said that if you are ever attacked/hurt/whatever, you have to make it somebody's personal responsibility to make sure the ambulance/police/whatever is called, etc.

for example:
    (man bleeding to death on sidewalk as people gather around and stare and don't do anything): *looks at one person, making eye contact* Call an ambulance. I hold you personally responsible for my safety. It is your fault if I die because the ambulance didn't get here.
    (person, being dumb): but there are so many people here, somebody else has probably already called
    (bleeding man): you are personally responsible
    (dumb person): ****, I better call an ambulance for this man!

ReputationRep:
    well its to late to do something now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I would like to think I would have done something, but I'd have probably been too scared. I'm a fragile person.

ReputationRep:
    and he said that if you are ever attacked/hurt/whatever, you have to make it somebody's personal responsibility to make sure the ambulance/police/whatever is called, etc
    Exactly!
    About 10 days ago a bunch of about 8 guys started an argument with me in the street and accused me of eyeballing them... of course, the fact that I'm short sighted and didn't have my glasses on didn't make a difference to them. They proceeded to swear at me, call me names, asked for sexual favours and then threatened to shoot me because I wasn't interested. Then the one guys spat at me as I walked away (but I dodged).
    And there were 4/5 people watching this whole thing.. one of the people being a guy who hasn't left me alone since I moved to this area over a year ago (he fancies me). Did anyone call the police/intervene/ask if I was ok?

Did they f**k!

If you ever get into that situation ANYONE just call the police and do it out-of-sight

ReputationRep:
    The best idea is not to get involved.

ReputationRep:
    The best idea is not to get involved
    Oh, you're my hero.

A little empathy is needed. I'd hate to be physically attacked and someone thinks "Oh, she probably knows that guy so it's alright. I'll just walk along"

This idea of not getting involved can't be applied to every situation there is. I have seen a person get attacked and what do I do? I call the police... out-of-sight. I get no ill consequence and the person being attacked is better off.

ReputationRep:
    ...and I'm not trying to start any unnecessary tense debate.

ReputationRep:
    the guy wasn't actually being beaten up as far as i could tell, it seemed that it might lead to that, but if he was obviously bleeding everywhere etc. certainly would've called the police! i reckon it could have been gangstas who owed money or similar, and i stopped my mother from intervening cos i thought it would just be worse...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kura1984)
    Oh, you're my hero.

A little empathy is needed. I'd hate to be physically attacked and someone thinks "Oh, she probably knows that guy so it's alright. I'll just walk along"

This idea of not getting involved can't be applied to every situation there is. I have seen a person get attacked and what do I do? I call the police... out-of-sight. I get no ill consequence and the person being attacked is better off.
    But what if that person is seriously injured before the police can reach them?

I think it depends on the seriousness of the situation TBH.

ReputationRep:
    In that case, I would have hid round the corner or somewhere and waited, just in case!

ReputationRep:
    But what if that person is seriously injured before the police can reach them?
    You're right. And the fact of the matter is that the police RARELY get there in time.

I just think that more people should hold some more responsibilty... if you come across these types of situations it is now your business, whether you like it or not. I'm not saying you have to dive in there and get your a**e kicked all over the street. If there IS one thing you can do without getting your a**e kicked in return then I thik it's up to you to consider the possibily of helping this unfortunate person out.

I don't hold a romanticised view of humanity BTW. I'm not hoping for World understanding any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kura1984)
    You're right. And the fact of the matter is that the police RARELY get there in time.

I just think that more people should hold some more responsibilty... if you come across these types of situations it is now your business, whether you like it or not. I'm not saying you have to dive in there and get your a**e kicked all over the street. If there IS one thing you can do without getting your a**e kicked in return then I thik it's up to you to consider the possibily of helping this unfortunate person out.

I don't hold a romanticised view of humanity BTW. I'm not hoping for World understanding any time soon.
    Seconded. In my opinion britain lacks this empathy. When you walk down the street people find it easier to ignore you than give you a simple smile. When I was recently in orlando I noticed the difference so much,I would be walking and people would nod and smile, bus conducters would charm you.
    This individual attitude brits have is definately a problem, a young boy or women will be being harrased or robbed infront of passengers on a tube or bus and a carriage full of grown adults would just look away, its disgusting.

I know america have their own problems whuch are proabky worse but we could learn a lesson from them about friendliness, even though you have no idea who the person is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lirael Abhorsen)
    i was just in reading - a town near where i live, and this gangsta ish guy had this other ghetto ish man pressed up against a shop window and was demanding money off him and stuff, and i didn't know what to do so i just walked past and ignored it. considering as there were loads of other people around and i didn't know whether they were just arguing with eachother and actually knew one another or the guy was genuinely getting attacked i wasn't sure what to do.
    I personally find Maidenhead rougher then Reading - I go to reading and wait at a bus stop in one of the worst parts and I've never seen any trouble...

ReputationRep:
    bleedin' foreigners.

leave 'em to it, that's what I say.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.