Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the queen does get to give special honours, but she mostly gives them to her direct family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    the queen does get to give special honours, but she mostly gives them to her direct family
    Does she? I thought that Blair was 100% responsible or is this some "extra special" honours?

ReputationRep:
    she gets like 'orders of the.....' which are different, i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    So the entire England Rugby Union team has been honoured for winning the RU World Cup including a player who only played in one game.

How many Olympic golds did Redgrave win before he was honoured? How many world titles did Steve Davis/Hendry win before they got honoured? How many championships and European titles should Bob Paisley have won to get honoured? How many coaches of the 1966 WC team got honoured and so on so forth.
    And how much quality opposition did they have to beat to actually win their trophies whilst the England RU team only played one side that posed any real threat.

I am sorry but to honour all 31 players was a complete joke. Perhaps Coach Clive Woodward and Captain Martin Johnson yes but this has gone too far. Also Jonny boy got upgraded from an obe to an mbe for whatever that is worth.

The new years honours list is a joke and often seems to over look the true stars of society in favour of some supposed media /sports personalities.

Does this now mean that any British reprasentative sporting team that reaches the pinnacle of their sport will be honoured e.g. Badmington or Field Hockey?

Already 5 live has been swamped with people opposing the awards given to the players, is this just an example of Tony Blair bandwagon jumping in an attempt to pick up some support for himself in a time of difficulty?

oh for god's sake we finally win something and u do is moan! what's the harm in celebrating it and all those involved,
    also, those who followed rugby long before the recent world cup, will know what a struggle it has been to get to this stage, these accolades are recognition of years of hard work, it was not just winning a couple of games ( have u forgotten the grand slam, four nations etc.)
    this team have done wonders for british rugby, and i for one think they deserve all the praise they are recieving!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    she gets like 'orders of the.....' which are different, i think
    orders of the what?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2004
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.