The Student Room Group

GCSE English. Writing to describe/persuade. How to revise??

How can i revise for writing to describe or writing to persuade etc, for GCSE English (Paper 1 Secton B; and Paper 2, Section B)??

Anyone have any good useful tips theyd like to share??

Thanku soo much :biggrin:
Reply 1
Well I remember that I knew that my paper was going to Wales to be marked so for the describe section on my GCSE I wrote about me moving to Wales when I'd finished high school and how awesome Wales was :p:

I got an A :wink: You know flattery helps :wink:

Sorry I know that wasn't helpful but its a funny story to tell :p: I don't remember much about GCSEs It was like 5 years ago, but I'm sure you'll be fine!!
make sure you practice using practice papers/question from text books, etc
look over the specification so you know exactly what the examiners wants
when writing to describes use SOAPAIMS - (similes, onomatopoeia, alliteration, personification, adjectives, imagery, metaphors, sentence structure)
and for pursuade use AFORREST - (anecdote, facts, opinions, rhetical question, repetition, emotive language, statistics, triples)
make sure you don't lose marks on punctuation - try to include a large variety
:smile: bitesize also have some useful tips :smile:
hope this helps :biggrin:

EDIT: when writing to describe you can also gain marks for being innovative - i.e using a motif (an important object which is relevant through-out the story and suggests an underlying message, etc), or using an alternate persona (so if asked describe yourself, be something interesting like... a spider?... examiners would be far more interested in this after reading through loads of descriptions of teenagers)
Reply 3
manic_fuzz
make sure you practice using practice papers/question from text books, etc
look over the specification so you know exactly what the examiners wants
when writing to describes use SOAPAIMS - (similes, onomatopoeia, alliteration, personification, adjectives, imagery, metaphors, sentence structure)
and for pursuade use AFORREST - (anecdote, facts, opinions, rhetical question, repetition, emotive language, statistics, triples)
make sure you don't lose marks on punctuation - try to include a large variety
:smile: bitesize also have some useful tips :smile:
hope this helps :biggrin:

EDIT: when writing to describe you can also gain marks for being innovative - i.e using a motif (an important object which is relevant through-out the story and suggests an underlying message, etc), or using an alternate persona (so if asked describe yourself, be something interesting like... a spider?... examiners would be far more interested in this after reading through loads of descriptions of teenagers)

Thankyou so much for ur time,, and yess that does really help..thankss!! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Kaykiie
Well I remember that I knew that my paper was going to Wales to be marked so for the describe section on my GCSE I wrote about me moving to Wales when I'd finished high school and how awesome Wales was :p:

I got an A :wink: You know flattery helps :wink:

Sorry I know that wasn't helpful but its a funny story to tell :p: I don't remember much about GCSEs It was like 5 years ago, but I'm sure you'll be fine!!

Haha lol that's lucky tho..and well done for getting an A!! :smile:
sweetascandy
How can i revise for writing to describe or writing to persuade etc, for GCSE English (Paper 1 Secton B; and Paper 2, Section B)??

Mostly writing to describe/persuade, for my mock I read magazine articles from the Economist and similar magazines that were trying to persuade me of something then made a note of what devices they used and how effective they were.

Also get in AFOREST= Anecdotes, Facts (just make them up, I said 95% of penguins will die out by 2050, it doesnt have to be real!), Opinions, Rhetorical Questions (e.g. Do you want to live in a world with no penguins?), Examples, Statistics and Tripartite Patterning (e.g. food, water and shelter)
Reply 6
sweetascandy

Revise techniques that you can use for describe etc-e.g. emotive language, until they're etched in your mind. Do practice papers-if you run out, ask your teacher to set you a exam question, and do it, making sure that you're using those techniques consciously. Then ask your teacher to mark them-if they're nice, they will :biggrin: Good luck!

Messi
X
Reply 7
www.schoolsnet.com has some very good practice exercises you can use. I can also send you a few revision resources if you like (I'm a teacher of GCSE English).
Reply 8
Angelil
www.schoolsnet.com has some very good practice exercises you can use. I can also send you a few revision resources if you like (I'm a teacher of GCSE English).

Omg that would be so great if you could!! Can u send them through here, or should I give you my email address in like a private message or something??
Reply 9
PM me your email, as TSRs private message system doesn't allow people to send attachments.
Angelil
PM me your email, as TSRs private message system doesn't allow people to send attachments.

Done tysm :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Angelil

Original post by Angelil

i'm really sorry if i'm butting in but i'm doing a retake english language so it's urgent
could you send me the revision resources too...
many thanx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Angelil
Hi Firstly thank you for trying to help the students here. Can you please also forward me the practice exercises as my son is attempting his GCSE Exams this June. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending