Turn on thread page Beta

Should The Motorway Speed Limit Be Raised? watch

ReputationRep:
    As someone who travels many motorway miles I am starting to feel that the 70MPH limit is dated and too low. I regularly travel at speeds of 80-90mph without any problems (as do most others) and I feel that it is time to update the law in accordance with technological advances.

The Case For:

The current speed limit was set many years ago when cars were less advanced. Stopping distances are regularly quoted as a reason for keeping it however the stopping distances of cars nowadays are far better than when the original limit was set.

When I am travelling at 70 I sometimes doze because it is so slow and pedestrian, travelling at 80 or 90 focuses me more and I find myself more alert to what is going on around me.

Driving standards have vastly improved.

The roads have drastically improved with lighting, clear markings, new surfaces etc...

Higher speed limits (or no speed limit at all) are used in other countries and there is no noticable difference in the accident rate.

The 70MPH limit is plain silly when you ar travelling at 1am and the roads are empty.

The case against:

Most people tend to travel above the 70MPH limit often going up to 80 or 90, if the limit was raised to 80 or even 90 would this lead to people regularly exceeding the 100MPH barrier as a result of the same school of thinking.

I cant think of any more

ReputationRep:
    The government does not want to push its neck out on this one. As you said any accidents on motorways will be used by the oppostion party if the government raises the speed to 80+mph. So politically it would not be viable.

ReputationRep:
    speed limit should be slashed to 30:

a) gov't gathers lots of money in speeding fines to hypothecate for the railways
    b)people would stop using their cars and turn to the newly funded improved railways
    c) would therefore cut congestion, and all the other negative externalities of car use
    d) what cars were on the road would become "congested" more easily therfore further cutting car use, moving onto railways, thus a self generating model for reallocating transport resources away from private car use onto the railways.

...or maybe i just hate motorists...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)

a) gov't gathers lots of money in speeding fines to hypothecate for the railways
    b)people would stop using their cars and turn to the newly funded improved railways
    c) would therefore cut congestion, and all the other negative externalities of car use
    d) what cars were on the road would become "congested" more easily therfore further cutting car use, moving onto railways, thus a self generating model for reallocating transport resources away from private car use onto the railways.

I refuse to drive or own a car. I use public transport regulary it works well (well at least in Manchester). I can go to the city centre within 20 minutes (the buses are 2 minutes) you don't need to worry about parking or having an accident. My bus travel costs me less than £10 a week. So I have money for the finer things in life.

There is simply no need to drive in Manchester if you're not running a business. If you're a student like me its so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    then wont the railways themselves get congested?

bringing the whole country to a standstill maybe not such a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)

Points c and d are contractidory.

ReputationRep:
    in short term only

in long term people would see the benefits of switching from road to rail, and so wouldnt be a problem

anyway, not really advocating a 30mph motorway speed limiit (it was the second option, i hate motorists).

how about other measures to cut car use:

£5000 tax on all cars in short run
    electronic road pricing in long term
    all money hypothacated into public transport

of course any charge like this is inequitable in that it hits the poor just as much as the rich, so how about an extra 0.25p in the pound income tax for anyone who is a registered car user?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I refuse to drive or own a car. I use public transport regulary it works well (well at least in Manchester). I can go to the city centre within 20 minutes (the buses are 2 minutes) you don't need to worry about parking or having an accident. My bus travel costs me less than £10 a week. So I have money for the finer things in life.

There is simply no need to drive in Manchester if you're not running a business. If you're a student like me its so much easier.

Ok, so what happens when student becomes employee and needs a car to either get to work or perform their job (sales rep perhaps?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Ok, so what happens when student becomes employee and needs a car to either get to work or perform their job (sales rep perhaps?).
    I will never be a sales rep. I won't need a job that requires that kind of traveling.

In Manchester it is becoming very anti car, my local town is going to have bus lanes all over and no right turns for cars on busy junctions. Then in 5 years time we are getting the metrolink so it will take just 5-10 mins go get the city centre.

Its interesting that all the old people that drive seem to have a lower life expency than the old people near me that walk. I have quite a few neighbours that are in their late 80's and are still very fit. This is because they have walked every where and never got out of that habit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I will never be a sales rep. I won't need a job that requires that kind of traveling.

In Manchester it is becoming very anti car, my local town is going to have bus lanes all over and no right turns for cars on busy junctions. Then in 5 years time we are getting the metrolink so it will take just 5-10 mins go get the city centre.

Its interesting that all the old people that drive seem to have a lower life expency than the old people near me that walk. I have quite a few neighbours that are in their late 80's and are still very fit. This is because they have walked every where and never got out of that habit.

Light rail, monorail and cable car are the future of transport in our cities I think.

ReputationRep:
    It is highly dangerous for there to be a law that puts most people in illegality.

If the speed limit is 70 mph and everyone drives at 80 mph or 90 mph, the limit should be raised.

Otherwise, the state has tremendous control over the individual citizen as at any time it can punish the citizen for an offence, even though everyone commits the offence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    It is highly dangerous for there to be a law that puts most people in illegality.

If the speed limit is 70 mph and everyone drives at 80 mph or 90 mph, the limit should be raised.

Otherwise, the state has tremendous control over the individual citizen as at any time it can punish the citizen for an offence, even though everyone commits the offence.
    I agree that the limit should be raised however there is a fundemental flaw in your argument -

If the limit is raised to 80 or 90 and people start driving at 100-110 do they then raise it again?

BTW I think the exact quote from "The Rock" is "Winners go home and **** the prom queen" as opposed to "Winners shut up"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    I agree that the limit should be raised however there is a fundemental flaw in your argument -

If the limit is raised to 80 or 90 and people start driving at 100-110 do they then raise it again?

BTW I think the exact quote from "The Rock" is "Winners go home and **** the prom queen" as opposed to "Winners shut up"
    Thanks about the sig! You're right.

In Germany, there are no speed limits on many motorways. That does not mean that people drive at an infinite speed.

The limit should be raised to a level acceptable to most people.

Presumably, most drivers today do not respect the 70 limit, but only rarely drive faster than 90. So, if you put in place a limit of 90 mph, it would be respected by most drivers, because they genuinely believe 100 mph would be too dangerous.

The argument that goes like, 'If we put the limit at 70 mph, they'll repect the 90-limit', is dangerous, because it puts most people in illegallity.

ReputationRep:
    Good points there, the question is will they ever raise it?

ReputationRep:
    80-90 MPH sounds insane :/.

ReputationRep:
    I've never driven on a motorway, although I've been with people in the car on a motorway, it's scary enough as it is. The speed limit is 40 here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering whether I should learn to drive when I'm older. My friends are saying stuff like "I'm going to start saving for driving lessons right now and my dad says he's going to buy me a _________ for my first car."

But do I really need it? I'd rather get a bike and cycle, but I wouldn't be very confident because we didn't do that "cycling on roads" course in year 6 at primary school that they used to do before we got there.

Public transport is fine where I live and I don't see the point on wasting money on driving lessons/cars at the age of 17/18 when I'll need it for uni.

ReputationRep:
    It's really useful to be able to drive.

ReputationRep:
    to all you people who think its a waste of money to learn to drive it isnt.
    i think it is a VERY useful skill, but that doesnt mean that im going to start driving as soon as I pass; during uni, you wont have the time (or money) to learn, and probably not afterwards either. this this time is the perfect time to learn.

plus its fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picju96)
    I've never driven on a motorway, although I've been with people in the car on a motorway, it's scary enough as it is. The speed limit is 40 here.
    what country is that !? 40 on the motorways, damn!!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.