Turn on thread page Beta

Should The Motorway Speed Limit Be Raised? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    what country is that !? 40 on the motorways, damn!!
    Jersey, we don't have motorways, just 1 dual carriage way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picju96)
    Jersey, we don't have motorways, just 1 dual carriage way.
    ah must be a small place cos 70 is the upperlimit for dual carriageways lol

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't so long ago in England where there was no speed limit on motorways. Speed limits have only been introduced cue to car manufacturers such as Jaguar and AC testing their cars on the motorways and drawing attention to themselves.

In Germany on the autobahn there is no speed limit and it is very common to see cars going at 150+ mph but they drive so close to each other so any sudden braking is going to be fatal. Lorries aren't allowed on the autobahn so this enables traffic to move quickly and not be slowed down.

There's a part of me that feels that the speed limit should be 80-90mph+ on the motorway because the time when the speed limit was introduced, cars were very dated. Cars are now much more capable of stopping and handling at those and higher speeds. However i feel there are too many un-educated motorists that would just see it as an excuse to drive down the motorway tailgating someone at 100+mph and not being able to react to the handling of their car at that speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I refuse to drive or own a car. I use public transport regulary it works well (well at least in Manchester). I can go to the city centre within 20 minutes (the buses are 2 minutes) you don't need to worry about parking or having an accident. My bus travel costs me less than £10 a week. So I have money for the finer things in life.

There is simply no need to drive in Manchester if you're not running a business. If you're a student like me its so much easier.
    there should be more of a choice. i know people who live out of the city - not by much, mind - who have no buses at all. nor do they have trains. nor can they bike as they are highly likely to get flattened on the peripheral major roads.
    the trains in this country are inadequate anyway!
    what id like to see is more pedestrianised zones and cycle lanes. it's all very well saying use canal towpaths etc, but its hardly practical for late night trips alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    how about other measures to cut car use:

£5000 tax on all cars in short run
    electronic road pricing in long term
    all money hypothacated into public transport

of course any charge like this is inequitable in that it hits the poor just as much as the rich, so how about an extra 0.25p in the pound income tax for anyone who is a registered car user?
    That's absolutely crazy money! I live in a small country town, with no train station for 15 miles, and the bus services are not frequent enough, go ridiculously long-winded routes so it takes 1½ hours for a journey I could drive in ½ an hour (and I don't drive that fast). Having a car is almost a necessity, and even more so for people living in more rural areas than I do.

As for the income tax increase, that's ridiculous! The car users pay enough extra anyway in road tax and fuel VAT; that would just be an unbearable burden on middle-low income families who have to drive.

As for the original question, I don't think an 80/90mph speed limit would be too bad, as long as it is enforced reliably (unlike the 70 one is). I don't find 70 too slow - I'm quite happy driving at that speed, and once you take my car over about 85, it's just guzzling fuel, which is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    The limit is set at 70mph so that motorists don't go over 80mph. If it is raised to say 80mph then motorists will feel happier travelling at 90mph.

Its the way it is.

Adam

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.