David Cameron and Tory pals to make £7million from their own inheritance tax changes

Watch
Roger789
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
David Cameron's closest Tory chums will make £7.1MILLION from his plans to slash inheritance tax for the super-rich.

18 millionaire members of the shadow cabinet will save up to £520,000 each under the Conservatives' flagship policy.

Among those benefiting from the controversial plans to raise the tax threshold to £2million are shadow chancellor George Osborne, foreign secretary William Hague and Mr Cameron.

Angry trade union leaders last night said it was a blatant example of the Tories looking after their own. Unite general secretary Derek Simpson said: "They want to feather their nests but make hard-working families work longer and for less."

The estates of Mr Cameron, shadow foreign secretary William Hague and shadow chancellor George Osborne will all benefit by more than £500,000 each.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-21848294/

Considering the hard times that we are living in, this is absolutely disgusting. I'm sure those billions in government money, every year, during these very hard times could go to more worthy causes than multi millionaires like Osborne and Cameron.
BWalker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Vote UKIP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB3bLjezyvY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1waGanUNt0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bypLwI5AQvY
Nigel Farage is awesome lol
The Avenger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Roger789)
David Cameron's closest Tory chums will make £7.1MILLION from his plans to slash inheritance tax for the super-rich.

18 millionaire members of the shadow cabinet will save up to £520,000 each under the Conservatives' flagship policy.

Among those benefiting from the controversial plans to raise the tax threshold to £2million are shadow chancellor George Osborne, foreign secretary William Hague and Mr Cameron.

Angry trade union leaders last night said it was a blatant example of the Tories looking after their own. Unite general secretary Derek Simpson said: "They want to feather their nests but make hard-working families work longer and for less."

The estates of Mr Cameron, shadow foreign secretary William Hague and shadow chancellor George Osborne will all benefit by more than £500,000 each.

Considering the hard times that we are living in, this is absolutely disgusting. I'm sure those billions in government money, every year, during these very hard times could go to more worthy causes than multi millionaires like Osborne and Cameron.
Hopefully he should really be pinned down on this for the next debate...
Craig_D
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Roger789)

If the article says this then they are lying, Osborne's wealth is over £4 million, thereby not benefitting from it, and I very much doubt that Cameron would either, after a mistake like that I cannot take it seriously.

EditL Just as I thought, Cameron's home cost 1.5 million, so with other wealth included I very much doubt that he would benefit either. If that's not enough, Hague's wealth is £2.2 million, so it's all nonsense.
werd123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why am I not surprised :rolleyes:
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh look! Tories fiddling the system for their own gain!

This is even more surprising than 100 leading capitalists supporting . . . the capitalist party.
PoliceStory
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How can they benefit from their own estates when they're dead? This could be a story but their numbers have no relation to how much they could gain.
lollapalooza
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Disgusting.
RK
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PoliceStory)
How can they benefit from their own estates when they're dead? This could be a story but their numbers have no relation to how much they could gain.
Where do you think the money came from to pay for the private education of Mr Osborne and Mr Cameron and half the rest of he Shadow cabinet? Look at how much some of their parents are worth and you'll see how much this change in the law is worth to these very people wanting to make the change. It puts the numbers spoken about in the expenes scandle to shame.

The inheritance tax arguments from the Tories are nothing more than them wishing to give themselves and their rich friends a tax breask.
Time Tourist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I take it anyone whose parents are fortunate enough to own a property here is happy to give away a large part of their families private property when their parents eventually pass away for the government to squander?

It's not inheritance tax its "death duty".

Why do people all those grand old country houses are now decaying in the hands of the National Trust... the families that once occupied them were taxed into oblivion by successive Labour governments.
Doyle&TheFourFathers
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
the numbers don't add up.

its inheritance tax, so the 'closet tory chums' will be dead - they won't see any of that money..
Doyle&TheFourFathers
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RK)
Where do you think the money came from to pay for the private education of Mr Osborne and Mr Cameron and half the rest of he Shadow cabinet? Look at how much some of their parents are worth and you'll see how much this change in the law is worth to these very people wanting to make the change. It puts the numbers spoken about in the expenes scandle to shame.

The inheritance tax arguments from the Tories are nothing more than them wishing to give themselves and their rich friends a tax breask.
So whats your stance on inheritance tax?
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i really don't see the problem

inheritance tax should be abolished. its a ridiculous tax that shouldn't be there in the first place.
Mr Sparkles
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Good, inheritance tax is a stupid tax, and it means my parent's estate will be about £500,000 better off if this goes through. Inheritance tax is ridiculous at the moment considering just owning an average house in somewhere like Surrey pushes you way over the limit, the limit certainly should be raised IMO to something abnormal which figure could only be obtained through inherited money or an insanely high paying job. And a millionaire isn't super-rich either, I don't know why they're saying that. There are so many average middle class families who are millionaires.
Tefhel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why shouldn't they save money? In the majority of cases, this inheritance tax will benefit those that have earned their money from scratch, it's perfectly viable to earn up to £2 million starting from nothing and I don't see why these families should then have to throw away 40% of it, when it has already been taxed.

The super-rich won't benefit much from this at all. I imagine David Cameron's estate is far more than £2 million, so while he may be saving £500,000 because of the limit raise, he'll still be paying something like 3 or 4 million in inheritance tax, his wife even more.
Ocassus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its bloody ridiculous tbh >.>
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
this article is factually incorrect, The Mirror is the lefty version of the Daily Fail.
JPKent
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What right does the government have to tax inheritance anyway?
Stace-is-Ace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not a supporter of any party but to be honest, it's fairplay to them.

If someone works all their life and has an amazingly expensive house or a family own an estate, I don't see why the government should get a huge chunk of it when their loved one dies! It's a total slap in the face. There is no real justification for it. Those people have most likely paid for private healthcare and education as well as paying extortionate taxes on their wages. They cost the government a hell of a lot less than spongers on benefits do.

I think scrapping inheritance tax is an excellent idea. Sorting the wheat from the chaff in the benefits system/reducing the payments should help the government raise the money they'd lose from scrapping this tax.
RK
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
So whats your stance on inheritance tax?
I support inheritance tax and if anything would like to see it higher.

We come in to this world with nothing and what we get in it should be used for good causes. Too much emphasis in life is given over to making and hording money for your own personal use. People just are not willing help others out enough (hence all the poverty we see and rich people we have who are more bothered about hording their money and keeping it in the family than helping the less well off).

The fact a lot of this money is just sta there in someone's bank account or in belonging shows it's not needed. Think of all the good that money could be used for it it was spent on helping others.

Sadly many people see money and belongings as things to gather and hord. So things like inheritance taxes are needed to try and ensure there isn't a cumilation of this amongst some of the most wealthy individuals. Making it higher would be a good thing.

But let's not forget that most people already are not affected by inheritance tax, no matte what the Tories try to tell out about large numbers wbho bought council houses being hit by this tax. It's just not true. A few 'lucky' ones may be. But most aren't. It's already a tax that affects some of the richer people in society (if you don't believe this, then I say you don't fully grasp how little some others actually have). So a Tory pledge to raise the threshold for paying it is just another example of them providing for the rich by cutting public services for everyone else to pay for it.

People should come first, not money. Providing for the poorest should come before preserving the bank balances of the rich.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (209)
43.54%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.67%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.5%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (102)
21.25%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (50)
10.42%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.63%

Watched Threads