Turn on thread page Beta

No Point Going To Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Its no body's fault but this thread is kind of depressing me and is the only reason I am still up.
    Don't wallow in your sadness! Look at a happy thread! Or say nightnight to the computer! or do something which might cause a power failure, which would turn off your computer for you, thereby solving your problem!

ReputationRep:
    Its no body's fault but this thread is kind of depressing me and is the only reason I am still up.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you are not on trial!!!

I wouldn't worry, the thread starter is obviously somebody who possess a single fathom of intelligence, and possesses a degree in 'Golf course management' with a third class distinction, who is feeling bitter because they finally realised that the world is not flat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you are not on trial!!!

I wouldn't worry, the thread starter is obviously somebody who possess a single fathom of intelligence, and possesses a degree in 'Golf course management' with a third class distinction, who is feeling bitter because they finally realised that the world is not flat.
    hehe that has cheered me up thanks.

ReputationRep:
    hehe that has cheered me up thanks.
    A degree is a passport to a better life.

ReputationRep:
    Hey this thread is what my life is like so it is depressing me more . I'm doing a masters to try and get a decent job which means I'm stuck in education for another 3 years and all I want is a job so I can have a house and stuff. It could be worse I guess I have friends who are grads who are still working in bars.
    Its a good idea to get a parttime job in what interests you. My friend whos a law grad couldnt get a job when she finished her course so she went to work at a certain highstreet supermarket because she was vaguely interested in getting into retail they saw her potential made her assistant manager and soon enough she was manager so you can get a decent job. However her husband is also a manager and he was one at a younger age because he didnt have the degree and so started working sooner. SHe could have got there without that degree.

At least this gives people here chance to know the real picture, you arent guarenteed a job when you graduate getting a grad job is prob the hardest thing you will have done to date. As for government stats that say the average grad earns 18k per year on graduation I want to know where these grads are because I dont know many of them. To get the stats that high some grads must start on 30k plus.
    In some cases its best to get a job look into it. Accountancy for instance you still have to have practice experience and get your professional qualification post degree. A lot of the top accountancy firms will now take people on from A Level and I think this is the best route. Retail and banking are the same and in some cases journalism especially magazine and radio most people go straight from school having done a lot of work experience. Its worth looking into what jobs you can get straight from A Level you can do degrees parttime.

ReputationRep:
    A degree is a passport to a better life.
    isnt it always?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Hey this thread is what my life is like so it is depressing me more . I'm doing a masters to try and get a decent job which means I'm stuck in education for another 3 years and all I want is a job so I can have a house and stuff. It could be worse I guess I have friends who are grads who are still working in bars.
    Its a good idea to get a parttime job in what interests you. My friend whos a law grad couldnt get a job when she finished her course so she went to work at a certain highstreet supermarket because she was vaguely interested in getting into retail they saw her potential made her assistant manager and soon enough she was manager so you can get a decent job. However her husband is also a manager and he was one at a younger age because he didnt have the degree and so started working sooner. SHe could have got there without that degree.

At least this gives people here chance to know the real picture, you arent guarenteed a job when you graduate getting a grad job is prob the hardest thing you will have done to date. As for government stats that say the average grad earns 18k per year on graduation I want to know where these grads are because I dont know many of them. To get the stats that high some grads must start on 30k plus.
    In some cases its best to get a job look into it. Accountancy for instance you still have to have practice experience and get your professional qualification post degree. A lot of the top accountancy firms will now take people on from A Level and I think this is the best route. Retail and banking are the same and in some cases journalism especially magazine and radio most people go straight from school having done a lot of work experience. Its worth looking into what jobs you can get straight from A Level you can do degrees parttime.
    I need to go to bed in a minute I am up at 9:30 working. I deliver leaflets but that hardly counts as any valid work experience. I want to do some voluntry work in the hope of getting some experience. I am not too bothered about my starting salary at all but the job I do will need to have some kind of prospects. The problem is I will be competing against oxbridge graduates. I am currently building up a porfolio of all my work to try and impress employers.

I am quite annoyed by university because they are not helping us organise a year out work experience due a tic for tac war with another subject within the same school. So I am now faced witht he problem that I am probably not even good enough to get work experience it just feels like its one big hole I can't get out of. Even if I can do great database driven website so can loads of other people.

I am really not sure what the short or even long term solution is.

ReputationRep:
    > As for government stats that say the average grad earns 18k per year > on graduation I want to know where these grads are because I dont > know many of them. To get the stats that high some grads must start > on 30k plus.

Anyone who says university doesn't pay is wrong. I'm on a gap year after finishing uni last summer and I've lined up a job with a law firm getting £35k in my first year. The jobs are there, you've just got to apply for them!

If you want to earn as much as possible, go into finance. Just be prepared to work regular seventy plus hour weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Its a good course if you get a sandwich placement I think they do put you at a commercial advantage. Just send your CV and portfolio out to anyone and everyone.
    Also you are going into a good field. My dad did a HND in Computer Science and then a degree conversion to a BSc computing. He finished in 2001 it was just the local uni so not that good at all. he thought he would be too old to get a job being 50 at the time but got the first job he applied for. There actually are jobs in IT.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about the money (yet) I just want a job that dosn't involve serving burgers or operating convier belts on a check out. Well done for getting that job though.

Did you go to a good university?

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about the money (yet) I just want a job that dosn't involve serving burgers or operating convier belts on a check out. Well done for getting that job though.

I believe Viviki is still at Sheffeild University doing a Law convertion course. Correct me if I am wrong Viviki.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    Its a good course if you get a sandwich placement I think they do put you at a commercial advantage. Just send your CV and portfolio out to anyone and everyone.
    Also you are going into a good field. My dad did a HND in Computer Science and then a degree conversion to a BSc computing. He finished in 2001 it was just the local uni so not that good at all. he thought he would be too old to get a job being 50 at the time but got the first job he applied for. There actually are jobs in IT.
    Yeah thanks that is what I am going to starting from tomorrow. I just need to finish of two sites to make them at commerical standard.

I am hopefull that if I get some work experience then when I graduate I should be able to get job. My biggest problem is to earn money part time I have been delivering leaflets for my dads company for the last 5 years, it dosn't look so good on my CV. I worked in a computer factory for 3/4 weeks and walked out in disgust so I can't add that on my CV until the company goes bust (they can't check up then).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmyrimmy)
    > As for government stats that say the average grad earns 18k per year > on graduation I want to know where these grads are because I dont > know many of them. To get the stats that high some grads must start > on 30k plus.

Anyone who says university doesn't pay is wrong. I'm on a gap year after finishing uni last summer and I've lined up a job with a law firm getting £35k in my first year. The jobs are there, you've just got to apply for them!

If you want to earn as much as possible, go into finance. Just be prepared to work regular seventy plus hour weeks!

What uni did you go to? What grades did you achieve?
    I am currently doing a law masters in order to earn a decent salary. My point is that I did an arts degree that didnt give me any practical knowledge or experience in the working world and therefore i couldnt get a grad job in a field that I was interested in. I know a lot of people in the same situation who have gone back to do further education due to lack of suitability for the fields they are interested in. The whole point surely is to get a job that is well paid and interests you. I was offered a teaching job in which I would have taught and then been able to do my PGCE in the job. The point is there is no way I would ever want to teach so I said no and am going back to uni instead. There are a lot of jobs out there these days for which there is no point doing a degree a lot of people go to uni for the sake of it without knowing what they want to do and all they end up with is debt.

ReputationRep:
    I believe Viviki is still at Sheffeild University doing a Law convertion course. Correct me if I am wrong Viviki.
    Yes you are quite correct. Hopefully when I complete this course my job prospects will be decent and i will have decent earning capacity because I will have completed a course useful to the field into which I want to go.
    When I was at school i considered doing a law degree even to the extent of deciding what unis I would put on my UCAS form I wasnt sure that I would ever want to practice law but thought studying it would be interesting, but I was advised at school that all degrees were regarded as good for grad jobs and to stick with what I was good at incase I changed my mind about law. I did an English degree instead, I really wish now that I had stuck with the law because not only would I already be in a job I would have finished my legal practice course in 2002, if I had done a first degree in law, I would also be 6 grand better off because I wouldnt have to be paying for a masters. I wont finish my LPC until I am 26.

My advice to anyone is really to look seriously at a career path straight from school, some jobs dont require a degree at all in which case you can do one part time for the qualification and earn loads of lovely money. Over the last few years the job market has got a lot tougher so it is really important to choose the right degree if you do a degree especially with the amount of people who do degrees these days. University choice is also very important.

ReputationRep:

That is precisely why I'm at uni. I'm a McDonald's manager for another 16 days, and if I have to do it any longer I think I'll actually cry.

ReputationRep:
    Well since I want to be a doctor I don't have much choice but to go to university
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    While I agree with some of this I just though I'd bring in a few examples.

Firstly my sister...got EEE (and a B in GS) at A level and a pass (below a 3rd but above a fail) in French from Wolverhampton University. Graduated in 1999. Started working immediately in a banks call centre for £12k, 2000 she got promoted to team leader £15k, 2001 she got promoted again to shift manager (£16k), wasn't really enjoying the job so she applied internally for a training vacancy in 2003 she got the job, the payrise (she's now on a bit over £18k and doesn't have to work shifts or overtime anymore) and doing a job that she really loves with tonnes of prospects for promotion. She wouldn't have got the promotions without her degree (her language skills, time management and self confidence were all gained during the time studying), she also managed to meet her now husband and settle in a more prosperous part of the country (we're from liverpool and back in 1995/97 when we left job prospects were extremely bleak). She's due to give birth to sprog No 1 in March (and is with a company who are more than happy to accommadate her pregnancy/motherhood).

Secondly me ...got BCD (and an A in GS) at A level and a 2i in Geology from Southampton Uni. Graduated in 2001. Started work immediately temping with a local insurance company in Bournemouth (were I'd settled with my other half), I was pulling data off their personnel database to inform the big bosses and the line managers and also working with the payroll input team to keep the data clean and up to date (the database was based on Access which I'd spent a summer job working with so I got the placement after being signed up with the agency for a day).

Worked there for 9 months soaking in everything I could learn (the department was being outsourced and so the staff numbers where reducing rapidly - after 4 months I was doing 2 peoples jobs, after 9 I was doing 4)...all this for £6.50ph. After 4 months working on this wage me & hubby finally found a bungalow suitable to buy and bought it (Sept 5th 2001) we moved in in the February after (it took that long to knock down the walls and refit the kitchen and make the place livable). I was paying £150 a week towards the mortgage (out of my pay packet of £200pw)...my credit card bill was growing. All my time temping I was looking for jobs, applied to quite a few places (although I was limited to the local area which ruled out the major graduate emplyers who are paying for the flexibility of sending you all over the country). Saw a job on Southampton Uni's website with the same job title as my temping job and applied (this was my 5th application to soton uni as a local employer), got the interview date through and thought it went appallingly, got the job offer 3 days later :eek: started the job 2 weeks later (changing my wages from a fraction under £12k to £17.5k ). I've been here for 2 yrs on March 19th and I'm currently £6 off the £20k mark with another payrise and a possible promotion in the future (to put this in perspective I'm getting paid more as of this month than my other half who is 2 yrs older than me(26) and has been working his arse off since he was 16). It's a graduate job which is using all the skills I gained during my degree (plus a bundle of local knowledge from being someone who actually studied at the uni) along with the skills (and cynisim) I picked up during my 9 months temping.

Final example - Mr X, a co-graduate from a private school who's father has a LOT of contacts. Graduated with a first in Geology from Soton Uni in 2001. Refused to take any temping jobs and signed on, repeatedly turned down jobs as "beneath him" because they were entry level posts and not "graduate" posts. Last I heard he was still on JSA, still living in a shared student house and still turning his nose up aat jobs despite over 2 yrs of unemployment.

A degree will not guarantee a job - being a hard worker and a good employee will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perry)
    Hello, To tell you the truth there is no point in going to uni unless you wanna do medicine,law,engineering cos graduates are not getting the jobs as they use to. My friend graduated from LSE with a 2.1 in Law, last year and has been rejected by 25 companies, and same with other people I know, there all on working allowances of 40 pounds a week from gov.
    People think that just cos u got a degree u gona get a job but those days are gone. You need practical experience. Employers are keen to employ different people, so If you dont go to uni and start your own business up, they would be more interested, and more valued. Most of the subjects offered now a days can be studied in the library by reading books, eg computing, web site designing, languages.

regards
    are you going to uni?

ReputationRep:
    To the initial poster.. your friend may have the personality of a trout? If you haven't got the Gift Of The Gab in such a competive profession, then you aren't going to be highly valued by employers - degree or no degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    While I agree with some of this I just though I'd bring in a few examples.

Firstly my sister...got EEE (and a B in GS) at A level and a pass (below a 3rd but above a fail) in French from Wolverhampton University. Graduated in 1999. Started working immediately in a banks call centre for £12k, 2000 she got promoted to team leader £15k, 2001 she got promoted again to shift manager (£16k), wasn't really enjoying the job so she applied internally for a training vacancy in 2003 she got the job, the payrise (she's now on a bit over £18k and doesn't have to work shifts or overtime anymore) and doing a job that she really loves with tonnes of prospects for promotion. She wouldn't have got the promotions without her degree (her language skills, time management and self confidence were all gained during the time studying), she also managed to meet her now husband and settle in a more prosperous part of the country (we're from liverpool and back in 1995/97 when we left job prospects were extremely bleak). She's due to give birth to sprog No 1 in March (and is with a company who are more than happy to accommadate her pregnancy/motherhood).

Secondly me ...got BCD (and an A in GS) at A level and a 2i in Geology from Southampton Uni. Graduated in 2001. Started work immediately temping with a local insurance company in Bournemouth (were I'd settled with my other half), I was pulling data off their personnel database to inform the big bosses and the line managers and also working with the payroll input team to keep the data clean and up to date (the database was based on Access which I'd spent a summer job working with so I got the placement after being signed up with the agency for a day).

Worked there for 9 months soaking in everything I could learn (the department was being outsourced and so the staff numbers where reducing rapidly - after 4 months I was doing 2 peoples jobs, after 9 I was doing 4)...all this for £6.50ph. After 4 months working on this wage me & hubby finally found a bungalow suitable to buy and bought it (Sept 5th 2001) we moved in in the February after (it took that long to knock down the walls and refit the kitchen and make the place livable). I was paying £150 a week towards the mortgage (out of my pay packet of £200pw)...my credit card bill was growing. All my time temping I was looking for jobs, applied to quite a few places (although I was limited to the local area which ruled out the major graduate emplyers who are paying for the flexibility of sending you all over the country). Saw a job on Southampton Uni's website with the same job title as my temping job and applied (this was my 5th application to soton uni as a local employer), got the interview date through and thought it went appallingly, got the job offer 3 days later :eek: started the job 2 weeks later (changing my wages from a fraction under £12k to £17.5k ). I've been here for 2 yrs on March 19th and I'm currently £6 off the £20k mark with another payrise and a possible promotion in the future (to put this in perspective I'm getting paid more as of this month than my other half who is 2 yrs older than me(26) and has been working his arse off since he was 16). It's a graduate job which is using all the skills I gained during my degree (plus a bundle of local knowledge from being someone who actually studied at the uni) along with the skills (and cynisim) I picked up during my 9 months temping.

Final example - Mr X, a co-graduate from a private school who's father has a LOT of contacts. Graduated with a first in Geology from Soton Uni in 2001. Refused to take any temping jobs and signed on, repeatedly turned down jobs as "beneath him" because they were entry level posts and not "graduate" posts. Last I heard he was still on JSA, still living in a shared student house and still turning his nose up aat jobs despite over 2 yrs of unemployment.

A degree will not guarantee a job - being a hard worker and a good employee will.
    As always, you provide us with an insight into the real world. For that we are grateful.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.