Turn on thread page Beta

Advice Needed on re-sitting[If possible] (Important) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Got my results back, and I have a B in Biology. Mainly because of my Coursework which I never really gave much attention to. (47/90). In all the other modules I did well.

Is there any way by which I can raise my mark for my coursework (Repeat it?), Ie. Can I do it all over again?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Its usualy re-submitted in the second year so... yes

ReputationRep:
    You can do your coursework again. You can submit it in January if that is allowed. If you still have a copy of the coursework on your computer, print it out, and ask your teacher to mark it again to see where you went wrong. Then correct it from there. If you still remember the mistakes without the teacher marking it again, go for it and correct it. If you don't have it on your computer, I guess you have to start all over again.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do have it all on my computer and know most of my mistakes! Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godsize)
    Yes, I do have it all on my computer and know most of my mistakes! Thank you!!
    You're welcome. I wish you good luck getting a higher grade when submitting the coursework again. If you have the mark scheme on how it's marked, and you know which parts you missed from it, follow that, and you will get a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    And another thing, I got ABCD In Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

Right, So should I drop the Maths at AS and improve the AS at January (I didnt get a good grade because I simply didnt work for the exams) or should I carry all the subjects on to A2 and repeat the AS modules and do the A2 aswell. Im very confused.

Chemistry- Got the dates mixed up for the exams, Slept at 6AM that day and woke up 1.5 hours later without revising. Hence the C.

Biology- The Coursework, Didnt pay attention to it. Treated the whole thing as a joke.

Physics- 294/300- No problems. Didnt revise for this either.

Im going for a high calibre medical college, I just need the oppurtunity to repeat my exams to revise for them properly and im sure i'll ace all of them (hopefully). So will this affect my application by ALOT?[Teachers wont give me good expected grades] and whats the downside of declining the C and D in my application and should I do that and wait till I repeat in January?

ReputationRep:
    Well put it this way, AS's are of very little value to Universitys and so is a 4th A-Level, so just do what you prefer, but dont give yourself extra work you dont need.

ReputationRep:
    Added more to the original message, Could you place have a look. Thanks Alotttt.

ReputationRep:
    And another thing, I got ABCD In Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

Right, So should I drop the Maths at AS and improve the AS at January (I didnt get a good grade because I simply didnt work for the exams) or should I carry all the subjects on to A2 and repeat the AS modules and do the A2 aswell. Im very confused.

Chemistry- Got the dates mixed up for the exams, Slept at 6AM that day and woke up 1.5 hours later without revising. Hence the C.

Biology- The Coursework, Didnt pay attention to it. Treated the whole thing as a joke.

Physics- 294/300- No problems. Didnt revise for this either.

Im going for a high calibre medical college, I just need the oppurtunity to repeat my exams to revise for them properly and im sure i'll ace all of them (hopefully). So will this affect my application by ALOT?[Teachers wont give me good expected grades] and whats the downside of declining the C and D in my application and should I do that and wait till I repeat in January?
    Maths would be good a good subject to have to study Medicine. I would drop one of the science subjects, preferably physics instead of Maths. I would decline the C/D grades, as it will affect your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeeeevo)
    Well put it this way, AS's are of very little value to Universitys and so is a 4th A-Level, so just do what you prefer, but dont give yourself extra work you dont need.
    Maths is really extra weight on my shoulders. I want to drop it badly at AS. Are you sure that a 4-th A-level wont be of that value so I can continue with Chem, Bio and Physics?

ReputationRep:
    Med schools dont usualy like you re-sitting so I'd avoid that if possible

ReputationRep:
    Maths is really extra weight on my shoulders. I want to drop it badly at AS. Are you sure that a 4-th A-level wont be of that value so I can continue with Chem, Bio and Physics?
    yes, only places like oxbridge would a 4th A-Level be of any help, thats why most people only do 3 anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like Maths, drop it I guess. I saw some medicine entry requirements, and they didn't specify Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Maths would be good a good subject to have to study Medicine. I would drop one of the science subjects, preferably physics instead of Maths. I would decline the C/D grades, as it will affect your application.
    If my teachers give me bad expected grades, and I decline the C and D grades and stick with the A and B will it affect my application by ALOT? (Even if i get HIGH a's in my repeats)?

ReputationRep:
    If my teachers give me bad expected grades, and I decline the C and D grades and stick with the A and B will it affect my application by ALOT? (Even if i get HIGH a's in my repeats)?
    I don't think you can choose which grades you put down on your UCAS form; I think you have to either put them all or not put any. I may be wrong there though, but even if you do just put your AB down, they'll know you must have done badly in the other 2 because otherwise you would have mentioned those as well. If you don't put your AS grades down, the only thing universities will have to go on will be your predicted grades, so they're pretty important. For medicine I think you need AAB minimum. You still only need 3 A-levels though, so drop maths and forget about it, then resit some modules in the other 3. Since you have to apply by 15th October for medicine, you won't even have done your resits by then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I don't think you can choose which grades you put down on your UCAS form; I think you have to either put them all or not put any. I may be wrong there though, but even if you do just put your AB down, they'll know you must have done badly in the other 2 because otherwise you would have mentioned those as well. If you don't put your AS grades down, the only thing universities will have to go on will be your predicted grades, so they're pretty important. For medicine I think you need AAB minimum. You still only need 3 A-levels though, so drop maths and forget about it, then resit some modules in the other 3. Since you have to apply by 15th October for medicine, you won't even have done your resits by then.
    So what do I do now, Im not going to get good expected grades and I cant do anything with my grades until I re-sit so what should I do? What options do I have then?

Thank you for all the help!!

ReputationRep:
    So what do I do now, Im not going to get good expected grades and I cant do anything with my grades until I re-sit so what should I do? What options do I have then?

Thank you for all the help!!
    Hmmm, well if you're sure your teachers won't predict you good grades, maybe it would be best to resit some modules in the 3 sciences (and maths if you think you can handle it), do A2s, take a gap year and apply post A-level?

ReputationRep:
    You mean dont apply this year, re-sit the modules and do the A2's and apply next years september?

Overall that means I lose 6 months thats all right? If thats the case thats a great idea.

ReputationRep:
    You mean dont apply this year, re-sit the modules and do the A2's and apply next years september?

Overall that means I lose 6 months thats all right? If thats the case thats a great idea.
    Yep that's what I meant; don't apply this year, resit some modules, take your A2s, then take a gap year and apply once you have your results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Yep that's what I meant; don't apply this year, resit some modules, take your A2s, then take a gap year and apply once you have your results.
    Thanksssss, You just solved my problem. 6 months is not alot of time, I'll just do that then.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.