Turn on thread page Beta

FAO Anyone Who Drives (this could save you a fine) watch

ReputationRep:
    New laws that have just come into force stipulate that YOU MUST renew your road tax before it runs out or you will be automatically issued with a £80 fine by a computer to which there is no right of appeal.

So, no more driving round with "tax in post" on your windscreen for two weeks .

This new "stealth tax" is apparantly going to raise between 20 and 40 million a year depending on which newspaper you read.

Don't give them more money - pass this message on to anyone you know who is responsible for renewing a tax disk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    to which there is no right of appeal.
    Is that legal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776 2)
    Is that legal?
    most likely not

ReputationRep:
    Is that legal?
    To the best of my knowledge "no" is the answer.

It will probably get challenged in the courts and the law will be amended to include this.

ReputationRep:
    To the best of my knowledge "no" is the answer.

It will probably get challenged in the courts and the law will be amended to include this.
    That is actually such a low tax blow. What happens if the post delivery strike? The computer will still issue the fines...

ReputationRep:
    That is actually such a low tax blow. What happens if the post delivery strike? The computer will still issue the fines...
    yeah.....*snorts* can you pay your taxes by computer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    yeah.....*snorts* can you pay your taxes by computer?
    LOL I believe that the I.R. do offer this facility for tax returns.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I believe that the I.R. do offer this facility for tax returns.
    And pays you loads for doing it as well! Like £200 per year if you do it in 2001 or something like that...

ReputationRep:
    This is an example of Gordon Brown's inadequacy as a Chancellor (and the people behind him). For God's sake, first you borrow because you've managed the economy badly, and then you hit people with high taxes for something they may not have done because of the borrowing? I can't believe it personally...it's just unfair.... this Labour government has really messed things up economically I feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeuroticSurgeon)
    This is an example of Gordon Brown's inadequacy as a Chancellor (and the people behind him). For God's sake, first you borrow because you've managed the economy badly, and then you hit people with high taxes for something they may not have done because of the borrowing? I can't believe it personally...it's just unfair.... this Labour government has really messed things up economically I feel.
    Even more incentive to vote Conservative or Liberal (if you are in a area when Conservatives wont win) at the next election.

"Tactical voting" they call it when you switch your vote just to keep one party out.

ReputationRep:
    New laws that have just come into force stipulate that YOU MUST renew your road tax before it runs out or you will be automatically issued with a £80 fine by a computer to which there is no right of appeal.

So, no more driving round with "tax in post" on your windscreen for two weeks .

This new "stealth tax" is apparantly going to raise between 20 and 40 million a year depending on which newspaper you read.

Don't give them more money - pass this message on to anyone you know who is responsible for renewing a tax disk!
    They obviously haven't thought this through properly. What happens if somebody goes abroad for a month and the tax runs out before that? Is there any way to appeal? Its gonna come back at the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    They obviously haven't thought this through properly. What happens if somebody goes abroad for a month and the tax runs out before that? Is there any way to appeal? Its gonna come back at the government.
    for real....lawyers are going to be on this like crazy!

ReputationRep:

Exactly the point of the people arguing against it. The other argument is what happens if someone is in hospital when the tax runs out and physically unable to renew it?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the point of the people arguing against it. The other argument is what happens if someone is in hospital when the tax runs out and physically unable to renew it?
    Tis silly some of the proposals by our government, makes me wanna cry cause I'm British.

ReputationRep:
    Here is the official DVLA (Government) bumf:

New Car Tax Rules
    What are the changes?
    The new car tax (vehicle licensing) rules mean that from 1 January 2004 the registered keeper of a vehicle (the person named on DVLA's record) remains responsible for taxing a vehicle (or making a SORN declaration) until that liability is formally transferred to a new keeper. To avoid liability for taxing it, the keeper needs to inform DVLA when the vehicle is sold, transferred, scrapped or exported. Once DVLA has been notified about a sale/transfer we will issue an acknowledgement letter, which should be kept as proof that the vehicle record has been changed.

What happens if you do not re-license your vehicle?
    The new rules mean that keepers who fail to re-license their vehicle (or declare SORN) will incur an automatic penalty of £80 (reduced to £40 if paid within 28 days). Determined offenders will be faced with prosecution and could be fined a minimum £1000.

DVLA will carry out a computer check each month to identify those vehicles without a valid tax disc. Although the new rules mean that it is no longer necessary for the vehicle to be seen on a public road before a penalty is issued current on-road enforcement will still continue.

Why have the changes been introduced?
    The new rules are aimed at cracking down on individuals who do not tax their vehicles. As you need an MOT (for vehicles over 3 years old) and an insurance certificate to buy a tax disc, the measures will reduce the number of unsafe and uninsured vehicles on the road. The new rules also reinforce the requirement for keepers to notify DVLA of changes, thereby improving the accuracy of the record, making it easier for the police to trace the owners of abandoned cars, and those used in criminal activities. This will benefit not just law-abiding motorists but the community as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    Here is the official DVLA (Government) bumf:

New Car Tax Rules
    What are the changes?
    The new car tax (vehicle licensing) rules mean that from 1 January 2004 the registered keeper of a vehicle (the person named on DVLA's record) remains responsible for taxing a vehicle (or making a SORN declaration) until that liability is formally transferred to a new keeper. To avoid liability for taxing it, the keeper needs to inform DVLA when the vehicle is sold, transferred, scrapped or exported. Once DVLA has been notified about a sale/transfer we will issue an acknowledgement letter, which should be kept as proof that the vehicle record has been changed.

What happens if you do not re-license your vehicle?
    The new rules mean that keepers who fail to re-license their vehicle (or declare SORN) will incur an automatic penalty of £80 (reduced to £40 if paid within 28 days). Determined offenders will be faced with prosecution and could be fined a minimum £1000.

DVLA will carry out a computer check each month to identify those vehicles without a valid tax disc. Although the new rules mean that it is no longer necessary for the vehicle to be seen on a public road before a penalty is issued current on-road enforcement will still continue.

Why have the changes been introduced?
    The new rules are aimed at cracking down on individuals who do not tax their vehicles. As you need an MOT (for vehicles over 3 years old) and an insurance certificate to buy a tax disc, the measures will reduce the number of unsafe and uninsured vehicles on the road. The new rules also reinforce the requirement for keepers to notify DVLA of changes, thereby improving the accuracy of the record, making it easier for the police to trace the owners of abandoned cars, and those used in criminal activities. This will benefit not just law-abiding motorists but the community as a whole.
    Yes, and what about cars that are not registered? Or, dont know if you have heard, those cars that are clones of other cars, i.e. carry the same license plate and the same model of car?

Silliest thing, I have ever heard!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and what about cars that are not registered? Or, dont know if you have heard, those cars that are clones of other cars, i.e. carry the same license plate and the same model of car?

Silliest thing, I have ever heard?
    why was that a question mark?

ReputationRep:

Silliest thing, I have ever heard!
    Please, I do not for one minute support the new system!

ReputationRep:
    Please, I do not for one minute support the new system!
    I never said you did. All I pointed out, where the flaws in the new system, which is completely stupid. Can you imagine all the court cases, and waste of public resources that it is undoubtedly going to cause?

ReputationRep:
    It is legal because the DVLA send a letter out asking you to renew over a month in advance (my mum has just renewed) so you have adequate time to renew with the knowledge of the system. New cars and people buying a new car dont have to pay because they are not renewing they are getting the disk for the first time.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.