The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
I just got 4.9 in Section 1 - November 2009, how is this compared to everyone else?:frown:
i hate you smart english people :frown:
Original post by Narik
Thanks. :embarrassed: You learn it in mechanics - the weight always acts at the centre of a bar. You know, like our centre of mass is in the middle of our body. Kind of. :ninja:

I didn't like this paper much. :sad:

Unless it is non-uniform!

Technicality-man away!
Ok, I have a question I dont get:

The weather is dreadful here. It rains on three times as many days as there are rain-free days.
Luckily the daily weather forecast is fairly good. Whether the forecast is for rain or for no rain, it is
correct on nine occasions out of ten.
Which one of the following is the probability that the weather forecast will predict rain tomorrow?

a) 13/20
b) 27/40
c) 3/4
d) 13/16
e) 9/10

Anwser:

Spoiler

Reply 984
Original post by englishman129
Ok, I have a question I dont get:

The weather is dreadful here. It rains on three times as many days as there are rain-free days.
Luckily the daily weather forecast is fairly good. Whether the forecast is for rain or for no rain, it is
correct on nine occasions out of ten.
Which one of the following is the probability that the weather forecast will predict rain tomorrow?

a) 13/20
b) 27/40
c) 3/4
d) 13/16
e) 9/10

Anwser:

Spoiler

Rain = 3 days and No rain = 1 day...

Probability of rain = 3/4; Probability of no rain = 1/4.
Probabilty of predicting correct = 9/10; Probability of predicting wrong = 1/10.

Probability of weather forecast predicting rain + it actually does rain = 3/4 x 9/10 = 27/40
Probability of weather forecast predicting rain + it doesn't rain = 1/4 x 1/10 = 1/40

Probability of weather forecast predicting rain = 28/40 = 7/10.

Which isn't even one of the choices. :ahee:

This question is quite difficult, but I don't see where I'm going wrong. :frown:
Reply 985
Original post by Narik

Probabilty of predicting correct = 9/10; Probability of predicting wrong = 1/10.

Probability of weather forecast predicting rain + it actually does rain = 3/4 x 9/10 = 27/40
Probability of weather forecast predicting rain + it doesn't rain = 1/4 x 1/10 = 1/40

This question is quite difficult, but I don't see where I'm going wrong. :frown:

i got that too... :confused:
Reply 986
Original post by Narik

Funny, I got exactly the same answer as you.

P(rain and predicted) + P(no rain yet predicted rain), I thought
Reply 987
Original post by Narik

Exactly what I get. Just draw out a probability tree.

It starts with rain or no rain (3/4 or 1/4). Then correct or not (9/10 or 1/10).

P(predict rain) = 3/4 x 9/10 + 1/4 x 1/10 = 7/10

Sure that's right..
I got 7/10 as well. Seems there's been a mistake. Where did you get that question from?
Reply 989
can any of you guys tell me how many questions you need to get right in the first 2 sections to obtain a score of 6 out of 9.

... to get a score of 6 in section 1 you need ?/35
... to get a score of 6 in section 2 you need ?/27

If you have any links which provide an indication of the mark schemes could you please send me them.

many thanks
Well, that working seems correct.. but its not the right answer. Any more ideas?

I had another question, actually. I was gna ask them both together but i'll post it now: (i think im doing something totally stupid for this one)

-----------------------------------------
Many foods carry an indication of the proportion of the guideline daily intake of various vitamins
that is contained in a specified portion. However, the recommended amounts and portion sizes
vary from country to country.
I bought my two favourite breakfast cereals in three different countries, and was amused to find
the contents were the same, but five of the packets I examined claimed to give 10%, 15%, 20%,
25%, and 30% of the local guideline daily amount of Vitamin C.
Which two of the following could not be the proportion given by the remaining packet?
A 5%
B 12.5%
C 17.5%
D 37.5%
E 50%

Spoiler

where did you get the questions from? they don't sounds very legit in terms of the way they sound...

and i don't even understand the cornflake question you posted :lolwut:
Reply 992
Well, that working seems correct.. but its not the right answer. Any more ideas?

I had another question, actually. I was gna ask them both together but i'll post it now: (i think im doing something totally stupid for this one)

Many foods carry an indication of the proportion of the guideline daily intake of various vitamins
that is contained in a specified portion. However, the recommended amounts and portion sizes
I bought my two favourite breakfast cereals in three different countries, and was amused to find
the contents were the same, but five of the packets I examined claimed to give 10%, 15%, 20%,
Which two of the following could not be the proportion given by the remaining packet?
A 5%
B 12.5%
C 17.5%
D 37.5%
E 50%

Spoiler

Lol, that makes no sense. There's nothing in that question which can allow you to deduce which percentages it can or can't be. Put us out of our misery and tell us where you're getting these bastard questions from. :colone:
Reply 993

A 5%
B 12.5%
C 17.5%
D 37.5%
E 50%

Spoiler

Isn't that just a common sense question? surely if you have 10%-30% range, the only 2 that don't fit is 5% and 50%?

A 5%
B 12.5%
C 17.5%
D 37.5%
E 50%

Spoiler

Whatever book you're using, burn it. Right. Now.
Original post by Narik
Lol, that makes no sense. There's nothing in that question which can allow you to deduce which percentages it can or can't be. Put us out of our misery and tell us where you're getting these bastard questions from. :colone:

bet you he's writing these himself :colone:
Reply 996
Original post by spacepirate-James
bet you he's writing these himself :colone:

my exact thoughts....
Reply 997
These sorts of crazy questions aren't going to come up in the BMAT. Section 1 of the BMAT is basically the TSA and I've not seen anything that random or stupid. Also those sorts of question don't come up in Section 2. Don't worry about them.
Reply 998
Original post by Scrubby
These sorts of crazy questions aren't going to come up in the BMAT. Section 1 of the BMAT is basically the TSA and I've not seen anything that random or stupid. Also those sorts of question don't come up in Section 2. Don't worry about them.

is it TSA cambridge or TSA oxford? or both?
Reply 999
can any of you guys tell me how many questions you need to get right in the first 2 sections to obtain a score of 6 out of 9.

... to get a score of 6 in section 1 you need ?/35
... to get a score of 6 in section 2 you need ?/27

If you have any links which provide an indication of the mark schemes could you please send me them.

many thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending