Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As I have just been through the process myself, I was asked by an acquaintance to recommend a few colleges for graduate study in the sciences. However, I realised that I really don't know all that much myself, so I thought I would ask here.

Does anyone know where information about the popularity, i.e., applicants per place for each subject, for graduate study for each college, much like the chart in the undergraduate prospectus, may be found?

I suppose I should suggest Trinity, since that seems like a universally popular choice, but considerations of competition may turn him away from that. I have received an offer from St. John's rather early, so I'll suggest it to him as one quite easy to get into if that is his concern, even though it has a mixed reputation, but, otherwise, I really have no idea what to tell him. King's, Clare and Emmanuel seem to be popular choices for undergrad, but I'm not sure how this translates for grad study.

By the way, I would still appreciate comments on St. John's in the thread http://www.uk-learning.net/t14338-2.html which has lain dormant in the Cambridge acceptance/rejection frenzy. I have to respond to my offer within the week, and I mean to accept unless I get strong advice against it, but any thoughts on the issues would still be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radagasty)
    As I have just been through the process myself, I was asked by an acquaintance to recommend a few colleges for graduate study in the sciences. However, I realised that I really don't know all that much myself, so I thought I would ask here.

Does anyone know where information about the popularity, i.e., applicants per place for each subject, for graduate study for each college, much like the chart in the undergraduate prospectus, may be found?

I suppose I should suggest Trinity, since that seems like a universally popular choice, but considerations of competition may turn him away from that. I have received an offer from St. John's rather early, so I'll suggest it to him as one quite easy to get into if that is his concern, even though it has a mixed reputation, but, otherwise, I really have no idea what to tell him. King's, Clare and Emmanuel seem to be popular choices for undergrad, but I'm not sure how this translates for grad study.

By the way, I would still appreciate comments on St. John's in the thread http://www.uk-learning.net/t14338-2.html which has lain dormant in the Cambridge acceptance/rejection frenzy. I have to respond to my offer within the week, and I mean to accept unless I get strong advice against it, but any thoughts on the issues would still be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Aren't there graduate prospectuses? You could try those... I'm afraid I don't really know, but I'll ask the graduates I know when I go back up. Won't be for a week or so though, but I'll let you know what they say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Aren't there graduate prospectuses? You could try those... I'm afraid I don't really know, but I'll ask the graduates I know when I go back up. Won't be for a week or so though, but I'll let you know what they say...
    This may sound mad. BUT, I wans't really bothered about the applicant per place ratio... coz in the end, I guess you want to be at a college that you love and feels good. 3 years in the same place! Lolz.. but yeh, I'm sure there are some graduate websites. I'll fish aroudn foro you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    This may sound mad. BUT, I wans't really bothered about the applicant per place ratio... coz in the end, I guess you want to be at a college that you love and feels good. 3 years in the same place! Lolz.. but yeh, I'm sure there are some graduate websites. I'll fish aroudn foro you.
    To be honest, and from what I've been told, it doesn't much matter which college you go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    I have just had another look at the graduate prospectus entries for the colleges... St. John's is the only one that mentions the applicantslaces ratio. Apparently, they have over 9 applicants per place! Does this sound reasonable? I wonder how it compares to other colleges. Had I known that (I must have missed that particular statement when I first went through the prospectus), I would not have applied to St John's, though now that I have been accepted, I'm rather glad that I did.

Thanks for the suggestion... any further thoughts you might have would be most welcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    To be honest, and from what I've been told, it doesn't much matter which college you go to.
    This is what I've heard from quite a few people too. They say that everyone ends up loving whichever college he/she ends up at.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.