Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    greetings. my name is conor... from deep south texas. just stumbled upon this forum looking for some TOK stuff... have my presentation tomorrow... starting it tonight. good times.

[Name] conor
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?] 2nd... finally gonna get the hell out...
    [Subjects, specify if HL or SL]
    - psych SL
    - physics HL (sucks hardcore - havent learned a thing...)
    - french SL (sucks hardcore... dont have a teacher-he went crazy and is on sick leave-and my oral assessment thing is in like 3 weeks... and i can't speak french.)
    - English eh... HL. dunno about all that A1 A2 junk
    - History of the Americas HL
    - TOK...
    [Strongest Subjects] sleep, video games... history.
    [Extended Essay Topic] why did poison gas fail in world war 1?
    [ToK Essay Question + Presentation] essay - the one about filters. presentation - pending

I'm jealous of all of you people all over the globe that have all these cool classes available. My school just got IB... my class will be the second (beta) graduating IB class. I've enjoyed it a lot, but i wish i could have taken computer science and some other classes. I hate freakin physics... but i had to take it simply because the choices are so limited here. Also, we only have a total of i think like 57 IB students.

anyone here like metal? saw someone from sweden... bunch of good metal bands come from sweden...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theknower)

I'm jealous of all of you people all over the globe that have all these cool classes available. My school just got IB... my class will be the second (beta) graduating IB class. I've enjoyed it a lot, but i wish i could have taken computer science and some other classes. I hate freakin physics... but i had to take it simply because the choices are so limited here. Also, we only have a total of i think like 57 IB students.
    Hey Conor,

Don't worry our choices not great..... we have the following choices. You have to choose one subject from the following groupings:

Geo / Physics / Art
    Bio / Ecosystems / IT/ Economics
    History / Chem / IT / Theatre

We don't have Anthropology or Psychology....I would have taken them both if I had the choice . Never mind i'm studying Psychology @ Uni .

I was wondering, do any of you guys have one year courses? In our school Economics, Theatre Arts, and IT are one year courses. In another school I heard that if you wanted to you can take any subject in your first year if it's standard!!! I would hate that...too much cramming . Though less work in your second year.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who does theater, although at standard level, it would be possible to do it one year, but very difficult, since you would have to study two plays, two styles of theater, participate in a production, and do design for something. At higher level, it would be impossible.

I'm always jealous of people who get to do pysch or anthropology or film or whateva. I think it has to do with what resources the school has.

ReputationRep:
    we have some choice at out school

languages - do whatever as long as you pay for the teacher and books yourself (note: we pay for the books ourslelves anyways).

history HL - econ SL - anthropology SL
    Phys - chem - bio (SL and HL taught together).
    math HL - methods - studies
    Computer science - visual arts

note: chemistry, history, comp sci and arts are taught at the same time so cannot be taken together. Same with bio and physics, and econ and anthropoplogy.

ReputationRep:
    greetings. my name is conor... from deep south texas. just stumbled upon this forum looking for some TOK stuff... have my presentation tomorrow... starting it tonight. good times.

[Name] conor
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?] 2nd... finally gonna get the hell out...
    - psych SL
    - physics HL (sucks hardcore - havent learned a thing...)
    - french SL (sucks hardcore... dont have a teacher-he went crazy and is on sick leave-and my oral assessment thing is in like 3 weeks... and i can't speak french.)
    - English eh... HL. dunno about all that A1 A2 junk
    - History of the Americas HL
    - TOK...
    [Strongest Subjects] sleep, video games... history.
    [Extended Essay Topic] why did poison gas fail in world war 1?
    [ToK Essay Question + Presentation] essay - the one about filters. presentation - pending

anyone here like metal? saw someone from sweden... bunch of good metal bands come from sweden...

we didn't have that much to chose between either, for example we had to read biology that was the only subject in that group. i wish they offered psychology at my school. some IB schools offers computer science or somehting similar anyway, there was one boy in my class last year that wanted to change school so he could read that.

what bands from sweden do you like? Backyard Babies?

ReputationRep:
    Well, last year when I started the IB the choices we had were:

Chem/Bio/Physics....HL and SL are all together...
    French Ab/French B/Russian B/English B
    ITGS/History/Econ
    Math HL/Methods/Studies
    English A1/Russian A1

It is the official second year of IB in our school now and they have added Econ to it...I guess it is fair because there are only 5 kids in my grade and 10 in the 1st year IB students...which will decrease to about 4 next year!

ReputationRep:
    Well you can't do Pyschology, ITGS, Antropology, Buisness Studies or any of the other 'less mainstream' courses meanwhile. As regards timetabling, yea we have option blocks, but most people are able to take the subjects of their choice. It's only those who want to take 4 Highers or a real mix of highers who tend to have problems.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology really isn't that fabulous. I love the subject and am going to major in it in college, but my teacher really isnt that great. She's the kind of teacher that knows what she's thinking really well, but doesnt know how to communicate it clearly. She's really funny though.

I did my TOK presentation today on the Ethics of War. Turned out well. Glad that bad boy is gone.

Now all i have to do is write up my Psychology IA... which is due tomorrow. Good times.

In regards to swedish bands - Opeth, In Flames, Tristania... other european bands - Extol, Dimmu Borgir - both from norway, Nightwish - from finland, Lacuna Coil - from italy... probably others but my memory sucks.

man today i got home from school at like 3pm... went to sleep... slept stinkin 5 hours. Absolutely glorious.

I love how i can automatically relate to people from all over the world simply because we all do the same junk in IB. pretty cool. my IB school is kind of a tightly knit environment... we're seperate from all the other programs in a seperate building, so it's sort of like a small family. anyone else in a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    i go to a "normal" school with other programmes as well, we are not seperated. are you allowed to go into the other buildings, visit if you have friends there or something?

ReputationRep:
    I love how i can automatically relate to people from all over the world simply because we all do the same junk in IB. pretty cool. my IB school is kind of a tightly knit environment... we're seperate from all the other programs in a seperate building, so it's sort of like a small family. anyone else in a similar situation?
    Well, I have a feeling everyone sort of hate us IBers. I mean, our teachers are always complaining that we dont "mingle" with the regular students at school. But I guess that's only natural as they put us in a seperate building and let us stay in on the winter activities day to have extra economics classes and such.

ReputationRep:
    In my school they offer:

English (u hav to take) H or S

French, H ,S
    German H, S
    or
    Spanish S

History H, S
    Psychology H, S
    or
    Geography

Physics H, S
    or
    Biology H

Maths H, S

Computer Science H, S
    Economics S
    Chemistry H
    or
    Theatre Arts H
    Visual Arts H/S

Has anyone here taken;
    Chem H, Phys H, french H,
    Maths S, psychology S, English S?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alias25)
    In my school they offer:

Maths H, S

Has anyone here taken;
    Chem H, Phys H, french H,
    Maths S, psychology S, English S?
    You don't have Math Methods?

ReputationRep:
    taking physics HL - absolutely the worst class i've ever taken in my entire life, but only because of the teacher. Not really her fault, but that's a long story.

took math methods last year - great class, great teacher.

taking psych SL - pretty alright i guess.

as for mingling with other kids... our IB school is sort of a magnet school. my school district has three total high schools, from which sophomores can apply to get into the IB school. Ironically, our IB program is housed in the same building as a program called "options," which is aimed at being for kids with "special life situations" - druggies, pregnant girls, etc. Most of the kids that go to my IB school still have classes at their home campuses, ya know sports and all that jazz. so, most of us get to mingle with the "normal" kids. The options kids, however, all think we're a bunch of brains. Dunno if they hate us or not... i still keep in touch with my friends at my home school... recently got voted "most likely to hold a position of power" for the senior class at my home school... fun stuff.

ReputationRep:

as for mingling with other kids... our IB school is sort of a magnet school. my school district has three total high schools, from which sophomores can apply to get into the IB school. Ironically, our IB program is housed in the same building as a program called "options," which is aimed at being for kids with "special life situations" - druggies, pregnant girls, etc. Most of the kids that go to my IB school still have classes at their home campuses, ya know sports and all that jazz. so, most of us get to mingle with the "normal" kids. The options kids, however, all think we're a bunch of brains. Dunno if they hate us or not... i still keep in touch with my friends at my home school... recently got voted "most likely to hold a position of power" for the senior class at my home school... fun stuff.
    Wow...in my school don't feel different from anyone else coz everyone has to do IB, we have no choice!!

ReputationRep:
    [Name] Kostik
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?] 2nd
    English B HL
    Maths HL
    IT HL
    Physiks SL
    Russian SL
    Economics SL
    [Strongest Subjects] IT and English, I hope
    [Extended Essay Topic]
    Compressign of a text
    [ToK Essay Question + Presentation]
    Essay: "If rubber tree wouldn't yield a latex..."
    Globalism
    [Extra Comments]
    Can any1 tell, what is the difference between A1, A2 and B languages??

ReputationRep:
    [Name] Kostik
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?] 2nd
    English B HL
    Maths HL
    IT HL
    Physiks SL
    Russian SL
    Economics SL
    [Strongest Subjects] IT and English, I hope
    [Extended Essay Topic]
    Compressign of a text
    [ToK Essay Question + Presentation]
    Essay: "If rubber tree wouldn't yield a latex..."
    Globalism
    [Extra Comments]
    Can any1 tell, what is the difference between A1, A2 and B languages??

ReputationRep:
    In our IB class we have fust 5 ppl. And biggest are English and Economics - all 5. The smallest is Physics - 2. But one of us is studying History alone with the teacher.

ReputationRep:
    an A1 language is your mother tongue, A2 is your second language, that you also can read B, an easier variation. you can read a B language at both HL and SL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    an A1 language is your mother tongue, A2 is your second language, that you also can read B, an easier variation. you can read a B language at both HL and SL
    Thx for answer. And then another one. What is mock exams? We have never been told about them.
    Yeah, and we have a free access to exam papers of previous years!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kostik)
    Thx for answer. And then another one. What is mock exams? We have never been told about them.
    Yeah, and we have a free access to exam papers of previous years!
    mock exam is when you have tests on previous exams as a practise to see how they are. have you never had it?? i have had it twice already (one each at the end of the semester in IB 1) and i'm going to have it once more before the exams, in a couple of weeks.
    some teachers let us look at exams from years before, but exams like from last year are used at the mocks so we can't look at them.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.