_EMMA_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
usualy refered to as "IB nerd".
and proud of it

i handed in all my essays last week, it feels really good that they are over and you can start focusing on the finals.

i saw that some of you have your mocks now, how is it going?
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by _EMMA_)
i saw that some of you have your mocks now, how is it going?
Not very good.....well, if I do absolutely crap now, I usually don't make the same mistakes on the actual exam so I guess it's a good thing (trying to be a positive thinker here). Coz when I was in 10th grade I took Advanced Mathmatics which is the same as the IB Math Methods class (but covers a bit more) in one year....boy was that tough. I really didn't understand it and during the mocks I got an E. However after that I worked my ass off getting extra tutoring from 3 different teachers coz my actual teacher was crap, and ultimately got an A on the real exam (you can't get an A* for advanced maths). So I think there is still hope for me! Well noone in our class is doing very well with the quadriple deadlines and gazillion activities going on.

I WILL do better in the real thing!!!!!
akk713
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
Not very good.....well, if I do absolutely crap now, I usually don't make the same mistakes on the actual exam so I guess it's a good thing (trying to be a positive thinker here). Coz when I was in 10th grade I took Advanced Mathmatics which is the same as the IB Math Methods class (but covers a bit more) in one year....boy was that tough. I really didn't understand it and during the mocks I got an E. However after that I worked my ass off getting extra tutoring from 3 different teachers coz my actual teacher was crap, and ultimately got an A on the real exam (you can't get an A* for advanced maths). So I think there is still hope for me! Well noone in our class is doing very well with the quadriple deadlines and gazillion activities going on.

I WILL do better in the real thing!!!!!
Hi Marie long time no see!!
I did quite well in mocks, I guess it's not a good thing because people are having high expectation of me and I may work less hard. Anyway do you mean additional maths in IGCSE? Hey I got an A too!! I guess we were sitting the same exam!! And in mocks I got a C something

So~ not a good sign this time haha
Mystic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Linda)
a student studying for the international baccalaureate diploma, usualy refered to as "IB nerd".
Thank you Linda....
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by Linda)
a student studying for the international baccalaureate diploma, usualy refered to as "IB nerd".
All hail nerds.
johnny_18
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
[Name] John
[IB 1st or 2nd year?] 2nd year
[Subjects, specify if HL or SL]
-ENGLISH A1 HL
-BIOLOGY HL
-ECONOMICS HL
-ARABIC SL
-MATHS SL
-ITGS SL
[Strongest Subjects] ENGLISH/ARABIC/MATHS/ECON
[Extended Essay Topic]BIOLOGY: AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE SOMATOGRAVIC ILLUSION VESTIBULAR FUNCTION
[ToK Essay Question + Presentation]
-ESSAY:QUESTION 1, I THINK. ("I KNOW THIS MUSIC")
-PRESENTATION: MORAL JUDGEMENTS AND HOW DIFFERENT 'KNOWERS' ARRIVE AT THEIR DECISIONS.
[Extra Comments][/QUOTE]
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by johnny_18)
BIOLOGY: AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE SOMATOGRAVIC ILLUSION VESTIBULAR FUNCTION
Whoa....I have no idea what it means and it sounds complicated....what is it and what were your findings? I'm curious.
BulMaster
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
[Name] Varban
[IB 1st or 2nd year?] thank the dude in the sky 2nd
[Subjects, specify if HL or SL]
-Enlgish A - SL
-French B - HL
-History - HL
-Bioligy - SL
-Business - HL
-Math Methods - SL
[Strongest Subjects]
hmm i'd say all of them except bio, fluent speaker in french can help pople in french and history
[Extended Essay Topic]
The first Non-Communist Governments in Bulgaria and their legacy.
[ToK Essay Question + Presentation]
-Different Cultures have different truths.....
-Is the EU trade polution incentive a words game?
[Extra Comments]
When I become supreme ruler of the world(this is my destiny(a gipsy told me so)) i will ban the IB and free the poor students from eternal slavery!
Ohh and btw doing the whole IB in one years instead of two(that's just a detail)
Shellspeare
Report 15 years ago
Hi i'm new and would like to say hello to all forum addicts xx
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by BulMaster)
[Extra Comments]
When I become supreme ruler of the world(this is my destiny(a gipsy told me so)) i will ban the IB and free the poor students from eternal slavery!
Ohh and btw doing the whole IB in one years instead of two(that's just a detail)
OMG!! Are you serious!?!?!?!?!!? How are you managing it?! It must be tought...
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shellspeare)
Hi~. Nice to meet you.
BulMaster
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
OMG!! Are you serious!?!?!?!?!!? How are you managing it?! It must be tought...
that's a good question i am for now
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shellspeare)
Hi~. Nice to meet you.
vavavoom
Rep:
?
that's a good question i am for now
Wow, so does that mean other ppl in your class are doing the same as well?! What will you do in your second year then?!
BulMaster
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I just joined in 2nd year my class was doing it last year too. Only me doing it in 1
vavavoom
Rep:
?
I just joined in 2nd year my class was doing it last year too. Only me doing it in 1
Oooo ic !! Gee, that must be really tough...a couple of my friends had to do that for IGCSE.
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
just got back my mock result, and in general they are the worst tests that i have ever done!
it is eight weeks, if i'm not misstaken to the finals so from now on i have to studdy a lot!
how did it go for every one else, have you got them back yet?
Intermittent
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Just want to encourage those IB-ers out there. I'm a first year med student now but I was in IB in my high school here in canada. Overall it's a good experience so tough it out. A word to the wise though - IB can bite you in the ass in university. Here's how: if you're trying to get into a professional college, and they count your marks from your IB courses (such as biology, english, physics, ect) towards your mandatory subject average for that college, it might suck. At university here, they give you 80% for a 6 and 87% for a 7 in any given HL subject. Skipping some first year classes at uni is not necessarily good, cause they're really easy oftentimes, and can be a really good mark booster if you're trying for med, dent, pharm, ect. To give it to you straight, learning the advanced material is great for kicking ass in the same subject in uni, however I would recommend taking SL or else just score low enough not to get credit in the HL. You want the info, not the credit. Then go kick that subject's ass in uni and get a rad mark! Personally I'd adivse working really hard in SL level and get the adjustment for good marks in high school for scholarships, then take it again in uni as I said. For my med school I was lucky because they don't count anything done outside the standard school year (of uni) towards your application average, so my english (my only HL) 6/7 = 80% didn't affect me. Find out from the uni you're planning to go to what they give for IB marks, and make the smart move.

Here's another little secret for the professionally inclined: Some unis professional colleges (like mine) don't count subjects done in summer school towards your application average, so if you need to take mandatory subjects that are hard, take them in the summer to get the credit, then take easy stuff in the main year to get a wicked mark. Good luck all!
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by _EMMA_)
just got back my mock result, and in general they are the worst tests that i have ever done!
it is eight weeks, if i'm not mistaken to the finals so from now on i have to study a lot!
how did it go for every one else, have you got them back yet?
I've gotten 3 back so far...I guess they're alright considering the fact that I had to study for most of them the day b4 because of the gazillion things that were going on at once (eg. 2 concerts to prepare for, speech contest, senior year book page deadline and more..... *sigh* many sleepless nights).

History (HL): 7 for document question, 6 for both essay papers.
Math: 6 (Darn...)
English (HL): 7 for unseen commentary, 5 for essay question (yes it really was a pathetic essay which perhaps even bordered on the 4/5 line...)

I will work harder....

On another note, I need help for history. No matter how hard me and my friends try we can't get any higher than 15...which is still a 7, but it's not very safe. But the only comment the teacher writes on our paper is 'Good essay' or 'well-written' and NEVER tells us what we can do to improve. I know the scores we get are accurate coz our history teacher is an IB history examiner. Any advice? I really need all the help I can get!!

On the other hand my English teacher writes so many comments even when we get a 5/5/5/5/5!!! She really is excellent...but i still need help for the English essay bit...I don't have a very good grasp on the most effective way to embellish my essay with examples, and the best way to structure them...any advice? I'm not used to writing essays without the book! We've only practiced doing that twice. If I have the book I write fine...

PS. Yay we got our own subforum!!
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
On the other hand my English teacher writes so many comments even when we get a 5/5/5/5/5!!! She really is excellent...but i still need help for the English essay bit...I don't have a very good grasp on the most effective way to embellish my essay with examples, and the best way to structure them...any advice? I'm not used to writing essays without the book! We've only practiced doing that twice. If I have the book I write fine...

PS. Yay we got our own subforum!!
do you mean help with paper 1 or 2? it doesn't matter but the structure varires dependent on the type of essay like speech or letter but you probably know that already. do you need help with the structure of how an english essay look in general?

i got 6 in english, not happy about that though

about the subforum, it is great!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Nov '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (164)
70.69%
No I haven't decided yet (40)
17.24%
Yes but I might change my mind (28)
12.07%

Watched Threads