The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Why kind of help are you looking for vis-a-vis History?
Reply 301
kildare

i have only jus registered with this thing and i dont know much about it but i need some help on finding some secondary info on like deviance in the education system so that i can compare it to my work can u help me please ?
Reply 302
lindz
i have only jus registered with this thing and i dont know much about it but i need some help on finding some secondary info on like deviance in the education system so that i can compare it to my work can u help me please ?

yeh, hi i have just signed up 2, i aint got a damn clue wot to do here! Do u know how to work this thing? chat to me pls!
Reply 303
kildare

My essays are always on the 6/7 borderline. What kind of essay do you have to write to shoot for a safe 7?

Today I did my Japanese Oral, which is exactly the same as the English oral. I got a 29/30!!!! :biggrin: I'm so happy!
Reply 304
hell there i know who you are, and my sister is now pregnent because of your doings, you rapist.
all my love george morton
x x x x x
Reply 305
vavavoom
My essays are always on the 6/7 borderline. What kind of essay do you have to write to shoot for a safe 7?

Today I did my Japanese Oral, which is exactly the same as the English oral. I got a 29/30!!!! :biggrin: I'm so happy!

We don't get to know our scores! We've been told the teachers are not allowed to tell us... Congrats though :wink:

for history I usually get 17-18 out of 20 or 21-22 of 25 which is 7-6 borderline, hmf!
:frown: i sucked at those essays again. got a 66% overall. Ok ppl i need help with that one. I can help ppl with history facts but ok i can't get how to do those IB essays and my teacher just grades them no comment no nothing when you ask something she complains about beeing tooo busy and such so how do you those?

Oh got 7 in paper 1 and 6 in paper 2 in french. Yeah i don't know what my oral grades are too. Hopefuly good :P

ooh i have a question for my extended essay my teacher gave me a grade B B and B what the hell does that mean? As you can guess im in a bad relation with her, she is my history teacher from above :smile:
Good morning everyone...
In case I say something stupid that is because 1) I havent been on UK Learning for weeks so I may ask something that has already been discussed way too many times 2)I just had my Math mock which explains why my brain feels like mush....
but anyway, can someone please tell me how much studying they have/had managed for the mock exams? I seemed to have so many other things to do that I havent studied AT ALL for them, to say the least. Does it get any better? Any suggestions on how to have a concentration span that lasts longer than 3 minutes?!

And one last thing, any suggestions for the oral commentary for English A1? I have mine on Wednesday and am dreading it....besides, my voice is awful on tape...Oh Lord!

Hey, when did IB get a sub-forum?!?!?! This is really cool! :biggrin:
Name: Doctor Gonzo
Class: IB2
Subjects:

English A1 HL
History HL
Economics HL
Maths Studies
Spanish B SL
Biology SL
ToK

Strongest Subjects:
English and History

Extended Essay Topic:
(History) John Brown's Jihad: Was he a deranged killer or was he just fighting for his cause?

ToK Essay:

Can we know something that has not yet been proven true?

Extra comments:

I HATE IB!
Reply 309
sarahwhatevver

And one last thing, any suggestions for the oral commentary for English A1? I have mined on Wednesday and am dreading it....besides, my voice is awful on tape...Oh Lord!

Hey, when did IB get a sub-forum?!?!?! This is really cool! :biggrin:

Welcome back!! Someone asked the same question on the oral commentary, and I wrote quite a long reply to that. The link is the following:

http://www.uk-learning.net/t31095.html

We got the sub-forum quite recently! A few days ago I think!
vavavoom
Welcome back!! Someone asked the same question on the oral commentary, and I wrote quite a long reply to that.
We got the sub-forum quite recently! A few days ago I think!

Thank you thank you....*smart curtsy* :wink:
I read what you said about the oral commentary, except ther eis a slight problem...you started preparing 3 WEEKS in advance...I have about 3 days! :frown:
I know my texts, I know the key points, I have trouble with the literary terms. Also, I dont really like the idea of commenting on every line, that seems to be something the examiners dont seem to want.
My extract will be either one of Plath's poems, Great Expectations or Macbeth.
If anyone has anything to say about the three types of works, any comments are welcome! (:

p.s: What is juxtaposition?
Having done mine a couple of days ago, and having done pretty well, at least according to my teacher, I can hopefully give you a bit of advice:
An easy way to divide your oral is to think of it as four general sections:

In the first one, talk about the context of the poem or the extract. For a poem, talk about other poems by the same author as far as things that are found in most of them, and than relate it to the poem you have. For an extract, talk about where it is in the play, what has happenned before it, and why it is important.

Than talk yourself through the poem, just basically summarizing it. As long as this doesn't take to long, it shows you understand what is happening, and buys you a bit of time. It can also help you to clear your thoughts.

Thirdly, talk about what the extract is about: what are its themes, etc. This is where you should also put in your thesis. You can talk about tone here too.

Finally, talk about literary devices, like structure, language, etc. This part should be the longest. You can go line by line in this part, but if you have time it is better to group whatever you find into categories that will make it clearer for you. And than your conclusion.

It's not that bad really, but even if you only have a couple days I would reccomend sitting down with anyone who will listen to you and just thrashing out your ideas, so that you get used to speaking even if what you're saying isn't all that stellar.
Reply 312
Haven't been here for almost a week

Now I wanna raise up a serious question about my world lit (which has already been handed in I shouldn't be thinking of this)

There were some parts that I didn't draw links between the two texts because I was talking about the different purposes of the two authors. I mean I did it separately in paragraphs! Then I moved onto some links between the settings. Is it a big problem at all?
Reply 313
sarahwhatevver
Thank you thank you....*smart curtsy* :wink:
I read what you said about the oral commentary, except ther eis a slight problem...you started preparing 3 WEEKS in advance...I have about 3 days! :frown:
I know my texts, I know the key points, I have trouble with the literary terms. Also, I dont really like the idea of commenting on every line, that seems to be something the examiners dont seem to want.
My extract will be either one of Plath's poems, Great Expectations or Macbeth.
If anyone has anything to say about the three types of works, any comments are welcome! (:

p.s: What is juxtaposition?

Commenting on every line is actually what our teacher suggested us to do. She said that if we don't have one thing to say at least for each line we haven't done enough revising. You can say that she knows what she's talking about as she's been doing IB for 8 yrs and famed for producing English HL classes with only 6s and 7s :biggrin:

As for the literary terms - hmmmm. Since I haven't studied the works you have in IB, I don't know how I can help (though I did read Macbeth for IGCSE, so I studied it in much less depth than you have), but here are some terms I'm guessing you can use:

First things first, juxtaposition means to put something next to each other, and this is usually done to emphasize things - to act as a foil. For example, in his poetry Blake puts in juxtaposition the innocent world of childhood with the brutal, corrupt world of adulthood. It's a great word to know as you can use it for almost any piece of work :biggrin:

Poetry:

Assonance
Consonance
Alliteration
Sibilant ('s' sound)
Unvoiced, or voiced fricative ( 'f' sound and 'v' sound respectively)
Plosive (bilabial plosive for 'b' sound)
Repetition
Metaphor
Simile
Allusion
Inversion
Enumeration
Enjambement
Personification
Apostrophe (as in, the whole poem is an extended metaphor for something)

I'm sure there are more specific literary terms for Plath, coz like for John Donne I had to use terms like 'valediction poem'. I can't really help with the descriptive terms, as I haven't read Plath's poetry, but listing down adjectives you can think of would be a good idea. I know that her works are very very complex though....lol. The English SL group were studying them.

Prose:

Once again, since I don't know your books i'm being very general.

Balanced phrasing eg. 'comfortable home and happy disposition'. This is used not only to make the sentences flow rhythmically, but to stress the importance of balance, logic, and order. These concepts were valued in Victorian Society.
Protagonist
Antagonist
Bathos
Anti-climax
Climax
Dramatic tension
Foil
Contrast
Conflict

Shakespeare:

Iambic pentameter
Stychomithia
Rhyming couplets
Blank verse
Soliloquy

Some words I like using:

Penchant for
Proclivity - both words to show that the authors likes using some concepts, techiniques, etc.
Juxtaposition
Insinuate
Vicariously
Intimate
Astute

I'm sure there are many, many more words you can use but they aren't coming off the top of my head at the moment! lol...it's early in the morning...I'm sure you know most of the words i've mentioned but I hope some were helpful :biggrin:.
Reply 314
Linda
We don't get to know our scores! We've been told the teachers are not allowed to tell us... Congrats though :wink:

We don't either!! It's just that our Japanese teacher is so stupid I guess he forgot...for the oral he didn't teach us anything so I had to research all of the stuff myself....grrrrrrrr.

How do you do so well in History? I know all the stuff, the teacher says I write well, but he doesn't tell me how to improve!! I heard that quoting historians' viewpoints are pretty good.
Reply 315
akk713

There were some parts that I didn't draw links between the two texts because I was talking about the different purposes of the two authors. I mean I did it separately in paragraphs! Then I moved onto some links between the settings. Is it a big problem at all?

Absolutely no problem at all!! Shows that you have a deep understanding of each text individually.
Reply 316
vavavoom
How do you do so well in History? I know all the stuff, the teacher says I write well, but he doesn't tell me how to improve!! I heard that quoting historians' viewpoints are pretty good.

ask your teacher to see the examiner reports for previous exams. They say how you should answer the different types of questions, what most students do wrong etc.
Reply 317
Jonatan
ask your teacher to see the examiner reports for previous exams. They say how you should answer the different types of questions, what most students do wrong etc.

hehe, that was me btw, Jonatan most have forgotten to log out.
Hi i have just come across your forum, i'm a second year student and i have only had a chance to read pages 1-3 and 16, but i will read the others and i am so relieved to hear that it is not just me that is stressing out over all the work.
WRT several posts;
i was revising for my english aural only 3 days in advance (i had my french aural (B lang) on tuesday this week, my english (A1 lang) on the Wednesday and my TOK is on this coming Tuesday so i am a little stressed, but it is good to see that i'm not just being unreasonable and that others across the globe that have the same difficulties.
I'm taking:
Psychology H - roughly 20 in class (largest in my year)
Biology H - 16 in class
Chemistry H - the highers and standards are together = 9
French S - 16 in class
English A1 S - 12 in class
Maths methods - 4 in class ( i am an ex-higher maths person, i had 4 highers until the end of last term when sanity kicked in and i decided that i would end up getting better points if i entered the methods paper, but i still attend the higher classes (there are now 5 in higher, we started with 8)

The college i go to has roughly 10'000 students, of which 45 are 2nd year students and 40 1st year students, most take the British examinations and very few know of the IB, we are a little group almost cordoned off from the rest of the college on the 9th (top floor) of the buiding!! And i think that when the IB is advertised at the college most people that join don't know what they have signed up for. I on the other hand made the choice of the IB about 3 years before i started, and i am so glad that i have chosen it despite the times when i have wanted to scream I HATE THE IB as others have on this site. I know i will be far better set up for uni than others who have only taken three subjects in their 12th/13th years of education (in England).
I loved the EE, i looked at the effects of nitrogen deficiency on the growth of garden peas, recommendation for anyone doing plants - they die very easily if not looked after properly so start growing them EARLY!! i had a major set back with mine when they all died four months before the deadline and i had to start over again!!
For my tok i did the essay "I know this music", and for my presentation i am taking the line from "The matrix" from agent smith that humans are viruses Humans "move to an area and you [humans] multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed"
if anyone has any thought on it they would be greatly appreciated, i hope to get good marks for this as i love tok.

And if anyone wants good revision, other helpful ib sites i have researched quite a few so if someone can tell me how i can make the list accessible to all i will post the addresses up here.
Reply 319
[Nat]
[IB 1st year]
[Subjects, specify if HL or SL]
- Maths (HL)
- Physics (HL)
- Music (HL)
- Economics (SL)
- French A2 (SL)
- Text and Performance (SL)
[Strongest Subjects] Maths Music French
[Extended Essay Topic] Vedic Mathematics and Square root by hand
[ToK Essay Question + Presentation]
- Evaluate "I know this Music"
- How can you know people?
[Extra Comments]
Please check out my post: "IB anything". I need help. I'm willing to help anyone with whatever I can.

Latest

Trending

Trending