[Subjects, specify if HL or SL]

Maths HL
    Economics HL
    Chemistry HL
    English A1 SL
    Chinese A2 HL
    German B SL
    Biology SL

[Strongest Subjects] Economics, n Maths maybe?
    [Extended Essay Topic] To what extent did the fitness industry in Beijing benefit from China's booming economy (Economics)
    [ToK Essay Question + Presentation]
    Essay: no1
    Presentation: Butterfly Effect The Movie and related TOK issues
    [Extra Comments] urggg IB stress so badly!!!! lol but nearly over, feel free to PM me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    Mine.

[Name]akk713
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?]2nd year of hell
    -English A1 SL
    -Chinese A2 SL
    -Math HL
    -Econ HL
    -Chem HL
    -Physics HL
    [Strongest Subjects]Physics, chem and maths
    [Extended Essay Topic]Physics: whether glass or plastic is more suitable for eyeglasses
    - Presentation: Challenging gender roles
    -Essay: No. 6
    [Extra Comments]

I couldn't help but notice that you ave taken 4 HL subjects???? Some other people have aswel......Can you do that? Did u ask to, and did your school let you? HOw are you coping with the work?
    I asked my head of sixth about taking 7 subjects and he just said that you couldn't or something.... but the deputy head said you could...?

Also I want to do Econ HL but we have a really bad teacher at our school. I'm pretty good at maths anyway but would I ahve an awful lot of trouble doing Econ HL?
    I need to hand in my options form soon.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lorrii)
    I couldn't help but notice that you ave taken 4 HL subjects???? Some other people have aswel......Can you do that? Did u ask to, and did your school let you? HOw are you coping with the work?
    I asked my head of sixth about taking 7 subjects and he just said that you couldn't or something.... but the deputy head said you could...?

Also I want to do Econ HL but we have a really bad teacher at our school. I'm pretty good at maths anyway but would I ahve an awful lot of trouble doing Econ HL?
    I need to hand in my options form soon.....
    yes you can take 4 HL subjects but if i remember it correctly you won't be graded in the same way in the fourth one.i guy in my french class had french during his first year (as a 4th HL subject) and took it away the 2nd year cause it was to much.

ReputationRep:
    4 HL subjects is good only to prove to universities that you can do it. It is graded as normal out of 7 and is no advantage. You can also take 7 subjects, and that help because i think they pick your 6 bestmarks to get ur total score.

ReputationRep:
    That's really weird.... LSE offer you 666 but 40 overall? THeir overall score is higher than UCL but UCL require higher individual subjects?????

And isn't 3 HL or 6 IB subjects enough hard work?
    I suppose most people who do more take it in their native language....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splinter)
    4 HL subjects is good only to prove to universities that you can do it. It is graded as normal out of 7 and is no advantage. You can also take 7 subjects, and that help because i think they pick your 6 bestmarks to get ur total score.
    Don't think you are allowed to take 7 subjects, don't think it fits into any timetable (didn't fit into mine or any of the other people I know who tried...) and the 4 HL subjects thing is actually an advantage (when you're interested in the course that is...) though it is graded out of 7 like any other, which makes it hard if you intend to get a high overall score...

Maths Methods
    SBS
    History HL
    English A1 HL
    Portuguese A2 HL
    Chemistry HL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalie Lane)
    Don't think you are allowed to take 7 subjects, don't think it fits into any timetable (didn't fit into mine or any of the other people I know who tried...) and the 4 HL subjects thing is actually an advantage (when you're interested in the course that is...) though it is graded out of 7 like any other, which makes it hard if you intend to get a high overall score...
    I know someone who is taking 7, but he is only doing it because he really wanted to take music and he could only take it at higher (timetabling) and also wanted to take his other subjects, so he is doing 4 highers and 7 subjects (nutter). Anyway, i dont think he is doing too well, as it is very very hard work.

And yes, the LSE offer and UCL offers are very peculiar. Its hard to say which is easier. I am going to take LSE, as that is where I want to go, and its nice not to have the pressure of having to get 7's at higher, however, it pretty much means that I have to get 7's everywhere else. I am predicted 44, so I should be getting there, but if i dont get any bonuses (crosses fingers) then i can only drop 2 marks to get 40, which is scary. Maths at HL i find is disturbingly insecure - i mean a 7 is by no means guaranteed, ie. even if you are good, you wont necessarily get one. I dunno it just scares me. But one can hope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splinter)
    I know someone who is taking 7, but he is only doing it because he really wanted to take music and he could only take it at higher (timetabling) and also wanted to take his other subjects, so he is doing 4 highers and 7 subjects (nutter). Anyway, i dont think he is doing too well, as it is very very hard work.

I actually had that same problem with drama (I wanted to take it higher but then I'd end up with 5 HL and 7 subjects...) in the end my timetable didn't allow for HL or SL drama

ReputationRep:
    WHAT????? SO 4HL IS THE NORM?!?!?!?!?!

okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.. .. errrrr I had no IDEA about this..... I asked my head of sixth and he was like 6 is enough and 3 HL is a lot of work blah blah blah.....

OMG..... But people with 6IB and 3HL have got into Oxbridge right? No wonder Cambridge refused like 1500 3A Alevel students....

ReputationRep:
    IBO webpage says:
    (Original post by IBO webpage)
    Diploma Programme (DP) students must select one subject from each of the six groups. At least three and not more than four are taken at higher level (HL), the others at standard level (SL).
    You can take extra subjects (as many as you manage :-) - we had student with 8 subjects), but they do not count to your diploma. You will get only certificate for them.

ReputationRep:
    BUt it says not more than 4 at HL.... who was talking about 5?

ReputationRep:
    zaza
    2nd year
    HL: math, bio, chem
    SL: Englsih A1, philosophy, spanish ab initio
    Strongest subjects: bio, english, art (i know why the f*** aren't i taking it...)
    EE: bio; the effect of resting interval during vigorous exercise
    tok: question 3: the stuff about language...dont remember the full thing
    presentation: can social violence be morally justified?
    comments: dude!!i totally suck at math: HELP!!!, but if you need to know how to wheel and deal yourself high predicted grades talk to me...
    also: anyone of you applying to college/ university in the US??holla if you are. I applied regular decision to: Brown, UPenn, Amherst, Wellesley, Smith (dont ask why there are 2 women's colleges on the list) and Colby...

ReputationRep:
    [Name]saa_
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?]2nd year
    -Japanese A1 HL
    -Engligh B SL
    -Math Studies
    -Biology SL
    -Business HL
    -Design Tec. HL
    [Strongest Subjects]Japanese, English
    [Extended Essay Topic]English B : "Compare the use of language of the narrators in "A Clockwork Orange" and "Lolita"
    - Presentation: communication? mayb...
    -Essay: No. 8 i think
    [Extra Comments]
    i hav bio test tmr on transport n defense :s gotta revise...

ReputationRep:
    What would be harder?
    5 A levels or 6 IB with 3HL and 3SL?
    People who are familiar with the english system.....
    and what would be more looked upon in unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lorrii)
    What would be harder?
    5 A levels or 6 IB with 3HL and 3SL?
    People who are familiar with the english system.....
    and what would be more looked upon in unis?
    I was having this debate myself. Theoretically the 5 A-lvls are harder, as you cover greater volume in each subject than IB, especially the SL subjects. So in terms of subject material you definetely know more i would say. However, IB has this whole extra **** which doesnt count for anything and you have to do it, and then there is the Extended Essay and ToK, and all the unnecessary courseworks in all subjects (I am currently doing my 3rd higher maths coursework) so there is a lot of pointless workload in IB which drives lots of ppl crazy.
    If you have the choice, I would go with 5 A-lvls, definetely, yes it is veyr hard work, but i think it is much more valued by Unis, who are quite frankly not very familiar with the IB system anyway in this country.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    [Name] Ivana
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?] 1st
    -English A1 SL
    -French SL
    -Psychology HL
    -History HL
    -Biology HL
    -Math HL
    [Strongest Subjects] Psychology, French & Math

[Extended Essay Topic] dont know yet..but it will b sg from psychology

[Extra Comments] IB is can b hard if you don't make it easy 4 yourself : ) but I kind of
    like it bcause i need to study only stuff I like nd it prepares us adequately do Uni : )

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering....
    someone said that unis are requesting higher grades in the IB like 776 than the A level but surely that must mean that the IB is easier?

ReputationRep:
    i dont get ur logic. A 7 at IB Higher lvl is much harder than an A at A lvl.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I know. Why does Oxford give an offer of say AAB but requires like 7,7,6 for the same subject? It's harder to get 776 but they still offer both for the same subject?
    AAB is definately easier to get then 776 so does that mean that if you did A levels, you'd get a better chance of getting into Oxford?

Also... you know how they only really give offers depending on your HL subjects? So itwould probably be better to choose subjects you're good at and know you'll get high marks in for the HL subjects right?

I think I heard from my head of sixth that by doing the IB you instantly get an interview from Oxford or something? Is that true?

ReputationRep:
    I think Ox offers depend on what course you apply for, what college you choose, what HLs you take, and how well you do on the interviews (how badly they want you). However, most offers are likely to be 39/40+ overall. My friend got an offer for Exp Psychology for 40 with at least two 7s and four 6s, but without HL/SL being specified.

I don't think anyone "instantly gets an interview" at ox, but unless you apply for very competetive courses, it's quite likely if you're predicted 39+ (just as if you're predicted AAA/AAB). Just remember that being predicted 45 (although probably more difficult than AAA(A)) will not give you an ox offer automatically. Doing well in interviews seems to be the key.

Make sure to check out what HLs will be required for the uni courses you'd like to apply for and pick your subjects accordingly. I understand the logic in choosing subjects you are familiar with and that you are likely to do well in. However, keep in mind that these two years might be your last chance to explore areas of knowledge you will have no chance to engage in later on (when studying for a university degree).

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.