Business SL
    Chinese B HL
    Enhlish A SL

Strongest subject
    Mathmetics
    [Extended Essay Topic]
    something about physics
    [ToK Essay Question + Presentation]
    Arthur Eddington noted that an ordinary view of the world, one “which spontaneously appears around me when I open my eyes” is “a strange compound of external nature, mental imagery and inherited prejudice” (Sir Arthur Eddington, The Nature of the physical World, 1928). How accurate a description is this of everyday experience?
    Not decided
    [Extra Comments]
    people, please help me find my extended essay topic!

ReputationRep:
    [Name] Jack Hou
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?] 2nd
    [Subjects, specify if HL or SL]
    - English A SL
    - Danish B HL
    - Eco HL
    - Math HL
    - Chem HL
    - Phy SL
    [Strongest Subjects] Danish, Eco, Math n Chem
    [Extended Essay Topic] In Eco, bout to what extent does the increase in the negotiated minimum wage in the retail and restaurant industry affect the teenager school enrollment and employment in Copenhagen in 1997?
    - I can't recall which but it was something about language and the ways of knowing.
    -Presentation was about logic and the strong and weak sides of it.
    [Extra Comments][/QUOTE]
    Exam is coming up, I hope you guys will do great!

ReputationRep:
    [Name] Charlene
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?] 2nd
    - HL English A
    - SL Latin B
    - HL Psychology
    - SL Chemistry
    - HL Economics
    - Maths Methods
    [Strongest Subjects] Mmm... Psychology and English
    [Extended Essay Topic] Psychology - The role of biological processes in causing aggression (yes, this counts as a psych topic).
    - Question 7 - the one about religion - "To what extent is faith a legitimate basis for knowledge claims blah blah blah?"
    - "How do we know, if at all, that our behaviour is ethical?"
    [Extra Comments]
    I wish I did Maths Studies... Methods isn't hard but I could get a better mark in Studies. *sigh* The TOK essay is the *****. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Sanja

graduated 2003

Swedish A1 HL
    English B HL
    Economics HL
    Biology SL
    Maths methods
    French B SL

just wanted to say that you should really chose your HL respectivly SL subjects CAREFULLY. When I chose I didn't know that I wanted to study economics at university so I chose maths at methods and now I can't get in to the top universities because they all want maths HL. damn!!! that makes me mad. mostly at myself. but, well.. to be honest I had probably not done very well at maths HL, but still.... it's annoying.
    anyway, now I've got offers from nottingham and st. andrews. so I'm happy. but I can't chose which university to go to. what do you think?

and if you hate IB now I can promise you you will love it when you've finally graduated. it is such a nice feeling to get your diploma. and you've certainly earned it. IB is hate love. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to ask if anyone has a book in economics written by one matt mcgee
    he was my economics teacher and I just wanted to know what people think about his book.
    by the way, he is the best teacher I've ever had, I didn't do any revision for finals and I still got a 7. all thanks to him preparing us so well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in IB yet but I'll be next year. I'm really excited about that. I know this thread is just for IB students to introduce themselves but I couldn't find a Pre-IB thread so please let me introduce myself here.

[IB 1st or 2nd year?] Pre-IB 2nd year (I'm in Year 10 in USA; Year 9 is Pre-IB first year)
    [Subjects, specify if HL or SL] Fortunately, I just signed up for my courses next year. I'll be taking these courses in Year 11:
    -HL A1 English, Part I
    -HL History of the Americas
    -SL Maths Studies
    -HL Chemistry, Part I
    -HL A2 French, Part I
    -SL Physics
    -SL Self-taught A1 Vietnamese
    -HL TOK is split up by the school, half in Year 11 and the other half in Year 12
    [Strongest Subjects] I think my strongest subjects should be SL Maths Studies, HL Chemistry, HL A2 French, and SL A1 Self-taught Vietnamese
    [Extended Essay Topic] I think it will be Philosophy or Chemistry or Maths
    -Don't know yet
    -Don't know yet
    [Extra Comments]
    This is what my IB-coordinator planned for my IB courses for Year 12:
    HL A1 English, Part II
    HL A2 French, Part II
    HL History (World)
    HL Chemistry, Part II
    HL Maths (possibly for certificate)
    AP Calculus BC
    HL TOK last 1/2

Motto of my school: IB or not IB
    Just a question: How difficult is it to attain 45 points on the IB Bilingual Diploma? In our entire school history, we've got 7 45 pts for regular IB Diploma, but only 2 for IB Bilingual Diploma so far...Well, amongst those 7 45pts, I've heard that 3 of them have HL Maths. Doesn't it make them more valuable than my Maths Studies?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Just found this site. I'm in the middle of my mocks, btw. LOL

Andre
    2nd year IB
    -French A1 HL
    -English A2 HL
    -German B HL
    -Economics HL (in French)
    -Biology SL (in French)
    -Math Methods SL (in English)
    [Strongest Subjects] German B, English A2, Biology
    [Extended Essay Topic] Evolution of the Filipino Language
    -Essay: Topic 5 - "'Doing the right things start with knowing the right things' In what ways does responsible action depend on sound, critical thinking?"
    -"Sangreal" - I talked about the controversies of Dan Brown's book "The Da Vinci Code", its TOK aspect, etc.
    [Extra Comments]
    Hope y'all ready for the exams!!!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys! i'm just in year 12 (thus ib1), studying at an inernational school in the Czech Republic...
    doing following subjects:
    History HL
    Czech A1
    French H1
    Economics SL
    Maths Methods
    Environmental Systems

+ PE and TOK of course

nice to meet ya!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lorrii)
    I think I heard from my head of sixth that by doing the IB you instantly get an interview from Oxford or something? Is that true?
    Well i can tell u that my friend had a 39 predicted and didnt even get an interview for economics and management! We think it's becoz she was studying english B HL... but it's her third language (she's an italian who lived half her life in france) and she definately speaks good enough english as she studies economics HL in english and with a predicted of 7!

ReputationRep:
    [Name] momopie123 (or just sam)
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?] i'm a junior in high school so i guess that makes me a 1st year
    -A1 HL English
    -A1 HL French
    -Economic HL
    -HL Biology in French
    -Math Studies
    -History in French SL
    [Strongest Subjects] French, English, Math, Economics
    [Extended Essay Topic] something in econ...not exactly sure yet...
    -i dunno yet
    -i dunno yet
    [Extra Comments] I go to school in the US, but i'm doing an IB billingual diploma. i also take 4 HL classes. Does anyone else do either of these? maybe i should drop an HL class... :confused: Also, does anyone know of any good EE topics in economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IB The Great)
    I'm not in IB yet but I'll be next year. I'm really excited about that. I know this thread is just for IB students to introduce themselves but I couldn't find a Pre-IB thread so please let me introduce myself here.

[Name] Huan Duong
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?] Pre-IB 2nd year (I'm in Year 10 in USA; Year 9 is Pre-IB first year)
    [Subjects, specify if HL or SL] Fortunately, I just signed up for my courses next year. I'll be taking these courses in Year 11:
    -HL A1 English, Part I
    -HL History of the Americas
    -SL Maths Studies
    -HL Chemistry, Part I
    -HL A2 French, Part I
    -SL Physics
    -SL Self-taught A1 Vietnamese
    -HL TOK is split up by the school, half in Year 11 and the other half in Year 12
    [Strongest Subjects] I think my strongest subjects should be SL Maths Studies, HL Chemistry, HL A2 French, and SL A1 Self-taught Vietnamese
    [Extended Essay Topic] I think it will be Philosophy or Chemistry or Maths
    -Don't know yet
    -Don't know yet
    [Extra Comments]
    This is what my IB-coordinator planned for my IB courses for Year 12:
    HL A1 English, Part II
    HL A2 French, Part II
    HL History (World)
    HL Chemistry, Part II
    HL Maths (possibly for certificate)
    AP Calculus BC
    HL TOK last 1/2

Motto of my school: IB or not IB
    Just a question: How difficult is it to attain 45 points on the IB Bilingual Diploma? In our entire school history, we've got 7 45 pts for regular IB Diploma, but only 2 for IB Bilingual Diploma so far...Well, amongst those 7 45pts, I've heard that 3 of them have HL Maths. Doesn't it make them more valuable than my Maths Studies?

wow, its pretty cool that you're so enthusiastic about the IB. self-taught vietnamese is pretty impressive too... where do you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momopie123)
    [Name] momopie123 (or just sam)
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?] i'm a junior in high school so i guess that makes me a 1st year
    -A1 HL English
    -A1 HL French
    -Economic HL
    -HL Biology in French
    -Math Studies
    -History in French SL
    [Strongest Subjects] French, English, Math, Economics
    [Extended Essay Topic] something in econ...not exactly sure yet...
    -i dunno yet
    -i dunno yet
    [Extra Comments] I go to school in the US, but i'm doing an IB billingual diploma. i also take 4 HL classes. Does anyone else do either of these? maybe i should drop an HL class... :confused: Also, does anyone know of any good EE topics in economics?

I have lots of subjects in common with you and that's quite rare... I take
    HL spanish B
    HL economics
    HL bio in french
    SL maths methods
    SL french A1
    SL english A1

I must say taking two A1s at Hl willl be a taugh job especially if u take ur two final orals in the same week! (i have my 2 A1s SL this week and it's hell! )
    Economics i found ok becoz i have a good teahcer and i follow the classes
    Bio i found OK too, now that i found better notes than what i had... just a tip, do follow the classes, pay attention and take good notes, even if ur teacher suxs coz there exist no book, website or revision booklet what so ever in french!
    And the only thing about taking history in addition is that u get thousands of essays to write in addition of the ones u get in eco and languages... but if ur organized and like working u're probably fine...
    Anyway good luck

EDIT: oh yeah and also did my EE in economics but on a topic outside the syllabus (sustainable development of the amazon rainforest in Brazil) which made it much harder becoz i couldnt use IB books but i guess it makes it more original and therefore i have more chances of getting an A ( i had to buy 200euros worth of books though :eek: but to get an A... :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    [Name]
    Monika (yeah, with "k")

[IB 1st or 2nd year?]
    1st

see my signature

[Strongest Subjects]
    Czech, Maths Methods

[Extended Essay Topic]
    Sth like "externalities connected with the extension of the Prague airport" (economics)

don't care about it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by French Pikachu)
    I have lots of subjects in common with you and that's quite rare... I take
    HL spanish B
    HL economics
    HL bio in french
    SL maths methods
    SL french A1
    SL english A1

I must say taking two A1s at Hl willl be a taugh job especially if u take ur two final orals in the same week! (i have my 2 A1s SL this week and it's hell! )
    Economics i found ok becoz i have a good teahcer and i follow the classes
    Bio i found OK too, now that i found better notes than what i had... just a tip, do follow the classes, pay attention and take good notes, even if ur teacher suxs coz there exist no book, website or revision booklet what so ever in french!
    And the only thing about taking history in addition is that u get thousands of essays to write in addition of the ones u get in eco and languages... but if ur organized and like working u're probably fine...
    Anyway good luck

EDIT: oh yeah and also did my EE in economics but on a topic outside the syllabus (sustainable development of the amazon rainforest in Brazil) which made it much harder becoz i couldnt use IB books but i guess it makes it more original and therefore i have more chances of getting an A ( i had to buy 200euros worth of books though :eek: but to get an A... :rolleyes: )
    its so cool that we have so many classes in common. i actually have a huge textbook in french for bio. but its like 1500 pages. lol i cant believe u spent 200 euros on books for ur EE!! haha thats cool tho. i hope u get an A.

ReputationRep:
    [Name]
    Julia
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?]
    1st year
    -English A HL
    -Danish B HL
    -French B SL
    -Psychology SL
    -Biology HL
    -Math Studies
    [Strongest Subjects]
    All but French, the bane of my existance :banghead:
    [Extended Essay Topic]
    Psychology- Simultaneous Balanced Bilingualism: Is learning two languages at the same time most effective?
    - ?
    - Presentation: Ethics of Cloning
    [Extra Comments]
    Nothing other than "hello everyone!".

ReputationRep:
    [Name]
    Becs
    [IB 1st or 2nd year?]
    2nd year
    -English A1 HL
    -History HL
    -Business HL
    -Biology SL
    -Spanish ab initio SL
    -Maths Studies SL
    [Strongest Subjects]
    English, Spanish, Biology
    [Extended Essay Topic]
    How the pursuit of justice destroys people and relationships in JM Coetzee's Waiting For The Barbarians and Disgrace
    Essay: Option 1 (About science being the ultimate form of knowledge)
    Presentation: Whether environmental damage can be ethically justified
    [Extra Comments]
    I'll be glad when it's all over :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Name: jcdoughty
    Year: 1st year IB

Courses:
    Math (HL)
    English (HL)
    History (HL)
    Chemistry (SL)
    French (SL)
    Physics (SL)

Strongest Subjects:
    Math and History

EE Topic:
    To what extent did the Lend-Lease Act influence the USA's entrance into WWII? (Needs to be a bit more refined)

ToK Essay + Presentation:
    Presentation: Ethicality of Capital Punishment
    Essay: Havent decided yet

Comments:
    This is my first time to this site and its pretty cool!

ReputationRep:
    So, if your an IB student plz fill out this questionnare.

Jan
    [b][IB 1st or 2nd year?]1st
    -Czech A SL self-taught
    -English B HL
    -History HL
    -Biology SL
    -Maths Methods or Standard level
    -German B HL
    -
    [b][Strongest Subjects][Maths, German]
    [b][Extended Essay Topic][something on Holocaust in my town]
    [b][ToK Essay Question + Presentation][]
    -dont know yet
    -
    [This is a really cool forum, IB is fine but I think I´m gonna die during my History exam ][/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    Name: atika
    Year: 2nd yr of IB daMnation

Courses:
    math SL
    indo ab initio SL
    physics SL
    chem HL
    islamic history HL
    english A HL

Strongest Subjects: math, indo

EE Topic: abt the ottoman empire

ToK Essay + Presentation:
    Presentation: not sure yet
    Essay: topic 4 [the personal attributes one]

Comments:
    errm...this is cool...i like this..helpin ppl out...gd luk fer exams...
    ""BuRNNN IBO..."" :evil:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    A friend of mine who is now studying Physics and Magdalen College, Oxford wrote an EE which did the rounds at CERN it was so good. She got a D. The EE marking system really is very very strange....

Well.. talking about this. I graduated in 2004 and decided to repeat bio and math for more suitable entry uni grades and because I was so surprised about the credits I got from the matrix, C in tok and C in EE, although my teacher was very happy with the essay and after all the work that i put into it (i m not sure if they REALLY know that, those examiners..)I made my IB responsable to send it again... it came back with the same grade! I met some teachers and they said that our year got nicely lowered in everything despite the fact that whenever they come back from a IB training they see how strictly they grade us compared to their collegues in other countries (btw I m from Iceland).. so yeah it's really unfair how some entire classes can get misjudged out from several reports or whatever they send supositly representing the performance of a class...

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.