The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hey guys, i'm write now busy studying for my English oral (the one where you pick a passage/pom) which is in 1 1/2 weeks time. Do you guys have any tips.

It is sooo hard.
vavavoom
Hey guys, i'm write now busy studying for my English oral (the one where you pick a passage/pom) which is in 1 1/2 weeks time. Do you guys have any tips.

It is sooo hard.

Are you talking about the oral commentary?
It depends on what texts you would be getting the extract from. Our teacher gave us a few pointers, they might be of help.
But basically you just need to know your texts really well, which is why poems are easier to deal with.
Reply 82
sarahwhatevver
Are you talking about the oral commentary?
It depends on what texts you would be getting the extract from. Our teacher gave us a few pointers, they might be of help.
But basically you just need to know your texts really well, which is why poems are easier to deal with.

Yup I am. I know the texts well, it's just that I have problems talking about them...I have no problems writing commentaries. What are the pointers your teacher gave you?
vavavoom
Yup I am. I know the texts well, it's just that I have problems talking about them...I have no problems writing commentaries. What are the pointers your teacher gave you?

I am absolutely sure the notes to oral commentary guidelines are stashed away in my locker...will get back to you when I hopefully find them Monday morning! (fingers crossed)
Reply 84
sarahwhatevver
I am absolutely sure the notes to oral commentary guidelines are stashed away in my locker...will get back to you when I hopefully find them Monday morning! (fingers crossed)

Thanx sooo much! Mwah!
vavavoom
Thanx sooo much! Mwah!

I just hope I manage to find it! (just had to say something so the thread wouldnt move to the next page!)
Reply 86
vavavoom

It is sooo hard.

I already did mine and it went fien xthup. The important thing is just to know the text as a whole well, and to study the key passages in depth.
kildare
I already did mine and it went fien xthup. The important thing is just to know the text as a whole well, and to study the key passages in depth.

One of my texts is Great Expectations...how would rereading the key passages help, unless the very same one happens to be teh one I have to comment on?
Reply 88
vavavoom

It is sooo hard.

I took english as B Standard Level. I didnt do shit the entire school year, I did not even get the books we were to read and I still got a 6. I regret I did not read for it now and got a 7. BAsaicly English B SL is a walk in the park. If you have a more difficult English class you may want to study some, but B SL is so simple. They actually gave us multiple choice questions on the exam...
vavavoom

Ok a summary of what is important is that make sure that you structure your commentary. A brief intro and a logical sequence of whatever you will be talking about. also, make sure that you support every statement that you have. if you think that Joe is a good guy,(lame example, sorry!) make sure you say why etc etc...also, depending on the types of texts that you have, have a few literary terms on hand so that they make the language more formal. do not have sweeping sentences though!
will see if there are more!
good luck! :smile:
For all those people who wanted the 2003 papers, students cant get access to it fr some reason...sorry...I dont think any IB student can get their hands on them....let me know if anyone else knows osmething about it!
Reply 91
sarahwhatevver
For all those people who wanted the 2003 papers, students cant get access to it fr some reason...sorry...I dont think any IB student can get their hands on them....let me know if anyone else knows osmething about it!

I just cant stand IB sometimes. They woant even put the assessment criteria on their webpages... Therefore we have to trust sucpicious third party sites and so on.. Sometimes they are just a little bit too strict and organised...
Jonatan
I just cant stand IB sometimes. They woant even put the assessment criteria on their webpages... Therefore we have to trust sucpicious third party sites and so on.. Sometimes they are just a little bit too strict and organised...

Dont your subject teachers give you the assessment criteria...??
Reply 93
sarahwhatevver
Dont your subject teachers give you the assessment criteria...??

I didn't get one for the oral. I've got them for the rest of my subjects though.
vavavoom
I didn't get one for the oral. I've got them for the rest of my subjects though.

When is the oral...? And do you guys practice before or something? I could use some advice from someone who has done theirs recently...! (:
Reply 95
sarahwhatevver
When is the oral...? And do you guys practice before or something? I could use some advice from someone who has done theirs recently...! (:

I'm doing the oral next week. Not the prepared one but the one where you get a passage. I meet with my friends every other day and practice. Also, the teacher gave us an assignment in which we had to tape ourselves doing an oral...embarrasing but helped.

I've got a mega ToK assingnment due tomorrow so i can't write anymore, but if you still want advice plz PM me and i'll write back soon:wink:
Reply 96
sarahwhatevver

i have done it. i recorded an oral last year as a practise, it was with my classmates and one of them interviwed me. it was just meant to make us used with the microphone and so, it wasn't graded. i don't know what kind of advice you want to have, topic, preperation??
what i can say about the presentation is that it isn't as bad as you might think, although i haven't got the grade yet so i don't know how it went but just make sure that you are prepared and know what to say, and that you talk about something you are interested in then i comes naturally.
good luck :smile:
Thank you! I need all the luck I can get...my worry is that I would either be getting a poem from a selection of about 14, all women poets including Plath and Brown etc...or Macbeth or Great Expectations...I have a feeling I will totally mess it up!
How did you manage to make sure you learnt your texts well, reading the notes sounds kind of tedious and not very fruitful....?
Reply 98
sarahwhatevver
Thank you! I need all the luck I can get...my worry is that I would either be getting a poem from a selection of about 14, all women poets including Plath and Brown etc...or Macbeth or Great Expectations...I have a feeling I will totally mess it up!
How did you manage to make sure you learnt your texts well, reading the notes sounds kind of tedious and not very fruitful....?

Actually reading the notes helps loads.
Reply 99
vavavoom
As there are a lot of IB Students in this forum I thought i'd make a thread for ppl just to introduce themselves and say what subjects they're studying. This way we can PM each other and help everyone get those top grades! Hee hee :biggrin:

So, if your an IB student plz fill out this questionnare.

[Name] Burhanuddin Salim
[IB 1st or 2nd year?] 1st Year
[Subjects, specify if HL or SL]
- Malay Language A SL
- English B SL
- Chemistry HL
- Mathematics HL (owh i hate it!!!)
- Biology HL
- Business Studies SL
[Strongest Subjects] IMO, English and Business (still trying for chem though...)
[Extended Essay Topic] Not yet, but planning to do sumthing about business
[ToK Essay Question + Presentation]
- Sorry, havent done that
-
[Extra Comments]

As u all can see...i am a newbie... and i am struggling big time here in IB. So, your help is really appreciated....u know all those tips and links, they help!

Latest

Trending

Trending