The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
han2s
As u all can see...i am a newbie... and i am struggling big time here in IB. So, your help is really appreciated....u know all those tips and links, they help!

Welcome to the thread! Feel free to post any questions!! :biggrin:
Reply 101
[Name] Yong Baek

[IB 1st or 2nd year?] 2nd Year

[Subjects, specify if HL or SL]
- English A HL
- Spanish B SL
- Biology HL
- Mathematics Method (owh i hate it!!!)
- History HL
- Business Studies SL

[Strongest Subjects] I guess History

[Extended Essay Topic] This is where i need some help on.

[ToK Essay Question + Presentation]
-Not Yet... -.-;

[Extra Comments]
I was looking for some help with my Extended Essay Topic and History I.A topic and found this place. so please do help me guys.. i'm so glad i found a place like this.. yay...
Reply 102
So.. my 2nd year of IB has just begun, on Wednesday.

I am so stressed like you won't believe...
I have done nothing yet except my CAS hours..

I got Extended Essay
History I.A
Business I.A
World Lit Essay x 2
T.O.K Essay

to do... forget about math portfolios and stuff..
I'm so close to give up..
My aim is to get 36 and above, which must be quite hard...
anyways, back to the main point.

My Extended Essay topic that i came up with is about the Bushmen.
As i live in Africa, it is easy for me to find informations about it and
may even visit the site and take some photos, do interviews, basically
get some primary information.

But now, my seniors who just got their results got absoultely f*** all
for their bonus mark, i have no idea why. Then i changed my mind and
thought about maybe do something on Korean War, then i read something from this site saying that it's better to write on something that the examiner wouldn't know much about, which is about Bushmen.
My topic was : How did the life style of Basarwas (Bushmen) change after the relocation from the Central Kalahari Game Reserve.

Plus, to write a Extended Essay, do i have to have some kind of source of Books? or can i just use Internet Sites, Other people's reports and interviews?...

What do you guys think about it?.. should i do something on this? or on Korean War?...-.-; i am so stressed...

Secondly, my History I.A... this is where i wanted to write about the Korean War, but now, i can't really find a proper topic that i can write much about. Can any of you help me with a topic?... please..

I am really stressed, i don't know if this is how it's supposed to be, but everytime i think about the November Exams, i think i won't be able to do well, and that i would never finish my course work... Help the poor soul...

Shot guys...

Cheers.
yogibear

I am so stressed like you won't believe...
I have done nothing yet except my CAS hours..

What do you guys think about it?.. should i do something on this? or on Korean War?...-.-; i am so stressed...

Secondly, my History I.A... this is where i wanted to write about the Korean War, but now, i can't really find a proper topic that i can write much about. Can any of you help me with a topic?... please..

I am really stressed, i don't know if this is how it's supposed to be, but everytime i think about the November Exams, i think i won't be able to do well, and that i would never finish my course work... Help the poor soul...

Shot guys...

Cheers.

Awww....relax, it looks bad but it isnt really all THAT bad. :smile: You have your CAS hours all done which is a start....(:
First of all, what you mentioned about the obscure EE topics. I mentioned it to my teacher and she said it wasnt a very major point...this is arguable and I wouldnt really be too sure about it myself. Just make sure that whatever you choose to write about, whether its the Bushmen or the Korean War, it interests you. When you are in a hurry and need to write 4000 (which is quite a lot) it could get pretty awful when you realize you dont even like what you are writing about.

My aim is to get 36 and above, which must be quite hard...

Well, not really as long as you make up your mind to do it.

Plus, to write a Extended Essay, do i have to have some kind of source of Books? or can i just use Internet Sites, Other people's reports and interviews?...

Well, if you are doing a EE on the Korean War I am sure you would be doing some reading from books. All the other sources you mentioned are ok as long as you cite(sp?) them correctly.
I am not taking history, so I cant really say anything about that topic. Sorry!
Have you talked to your IB co-ordinator? He/She might be able to assist you somehow, help you manage your time and everything...?
Hope things work out!
Good luck!!
p.s:One question, what were you doing the first year of IB?
Reply 104
Hey..

Thanks for the reply..

for your question.. what was i doing the first year of my IB?

i don't really get it. as in why i'm not done with any work?

If that's the case, i don't know..

we werent told to start with them yet, plus i didn't study at all..
well, i did study, but i didnt have any reasons for studying.
Then, it was the last holidays, when i decided to start studying,
and now it's really hard..-.-;

I went away for 2 weeks with my friends to a place called st.francis bay and had so much fun, then i said to myself, that i had enough fun last few years and now maybe it's time to study...

i really need to get higher than 36. My IGCSE result is not too good. only have Bs and Cs... i'm not sure if Univs will count much on my predicted results...

still stressed... ^^..
Reply 105
yogibear
Hey..

Thanks for the reply..

for your question.. what was i doing the first year of my IB?

i don't really get it. as in why i'm not done with any work?

If that's the case, i don't know..

we werent told to start with them yet, plus i didn't study at all..
well, i did study, but i didnt have any reasons for studying.
Then, it was the last holidays, when i decided to start studying,
and now it's really hard..-.-;

I went away for 2 weeks with my friends to a place called st.francis bay and had so much fun, then i said to myself, that i had enough fun last few years and now maybe it's time to study...

i really need to get higher than 36. My IGCSE result is not too good. only have Bs and Cs... i'm not sure if Univs will count much on my predicted results...

still stressed... ^^..

you shouldn't be stressed! be glad for what you have done so far and i think that it is good that you have started to think about all those essays already. i wasn't told to start with the things you mentioned (WLA, IA, TOK etc.) in my first year either. and now with about a month before my revision starts i haven't had the final draft of all my essays yet. some essays you can't start with too early because you need to have done some studdying at school, but if i'm going to give you some advice, start with your extended. cause that is usually the essay you neglect and postpone in the end cause other essays has a bigger impact on your grade.
_EMMA_
you shouldn't be stressed! be glad for what you have done so far and i think that it is good that you have started to think about all those essays already. i wasn't told to start with the things you mentioned (WLA, IA, TOK etc.) in my first year either. and now with about a month before my revision starts i haven't had the final draft of all my essays yet. some essays you can't start with too early because you need to have done some studdying at school, but if i'm going to give you some advice, start with your extended. cause that is usually the essay you neglect and postpone in the end cause other essays has a bigger impact on your grade.

Start one that you know you will be able to do quickly whether it be the EE or anything else. That way you will boost up your self-esteem knowing that you are on your way to finishing your work!
It is true that the EE is neglected a lot as compared to the internal assessment essays for all the other subjects...
Don't worry, it will work out! Everything does...doesnt it? (:
Reply 107
yogibear

Plus, to write a Extended Essay, do i have to have some kind of source of Books? or can i just use Internet Sites, Other people's reports and interviews?..

Cheers.

You should definately use books if you want to give a good impression to the examiner. If your in a hurry, just find a book that sounds relevant to your topic on amazon and cite it in your bibliography. It's better than having nothing.

Some examiners are impressed by lots of references (I know, it's pathetic...) so try and include as many as possible. I ended having 29 books and internet sources in my bibliography. Of those 19 were books....I spent the whole summer just reading...IB really makes my life sad!!! :biggrin:

Interviews are excellent primary sources to put in. My friend interviewed a lady who was in Manchuria at the time of the Japanese invasion for her extended essay.
Reply 108
Hey..
Thanx a lot for the replies.

I was just wonderin, for EE, i've heard that it's better to have a topic related to your Higer Level subject. Is that correct? i know it will sound better as you would be having more depth information on a Higher Level Subject, but do you guys think it's still ok to do something which falls under Social Anthropology and which is happening locally, ie- Bushmen, than something which doesn't interest me but is under my Higher Level Subject?..

I'm sure i can find something interesting under my Higher Level Subject, but i am really into this Bushmen stuff that i wanna write my EE on it. The thing is that we are the second group of my school that's writing IB and we have no information on this stuff and i was wondering how your seniors did on their EE. please share your knowledge.

Plus anyone doing History have extra I.A topics?..-.-; i cant find a real interesting topic that's capturing me..-.-;.. i'll work on that...

Thanks for everything guys..

Have a nice day
yogibear
Hey..

I was just wonderin, for EE, i've heard that it's better to have a topic related to your Higer Level subject. Is that correct? i know it will sound better as you would be having more depth information on a Higher Level Subject, but do you guys think it's still ok to do something which falls under Social Anthropology and which is happening locally, ie- Bushmen, than something which doesn't interest me but is under my Higher Level Subject?..

....Thanks for everything guys..

Have a nice day

Well, my teacher insists you dont even have to be taken a certain subject to write the EE on..in fact she keeps telling us how its important we do it on what interests us! (: Besides, if you think you know a lot about Bushmen already and want to do more research on it, why not? An HL subject would have been important if you were doing something very technical, like if you were setting out to figure out another solution for a theorem in Math, it would be a good idea for Math to be an HL subject...(God, that was a lame example but I hope you get what I am trying to say!)
Happy studying!
Reply 110
yogibear
Hey..

I'm sure i can find something interesting under my Higher Level Subject, but i am really into this Bushmen stuff that i wanna write my EE on it. The thing is that we are the second group of my school that's writing IB and we have no information on this stuff and i was wondering how your seniors did on their EE. please share your knowledge.

Plus anyone doing History have extra I.A topics?..-.-; i cant find a real interesting topic that's capturing me..-.-;.. i'll work on that...

Thanks for everything guys..

Have a nice day

my coordinator recommended that we chosed a HL subject. But there are some students that has written their on SL, and if it is there you interest is you should take that.
Reply 111
yogibear

Heya!
When we did our EE's, we were told a few things:
1) Pick a subject your interested in, as your going to have to work on it for some time
2) If possible pick a subject that is related to what you want to do later on in life... (Universities are interested in it then- apparently)
3) Pick a supervisor you know you get along with, we had a few people at my school whose supervisor didn't even talk to them... communication is the key to life, or in this case passing the IB

I did my EE in biology of the causes of left-handedness on a sample group, it took me all summer, but it was worth it as its a subject I'm interested in, and know a lot about, but also because its a medical topic as well, ideal for applying to medicine!
Like vavavoom I had a huge bibliography- about 3 pages, YOU MUST ALWAYS INCLUDE ALL RESOURCES, and don't bother copying out large chunks of other people's work, you always have to give your interpretation of it.
It might also be worthwhile getting hold of the subject specific criteria for the subjects your interested in and seeing what you think you could get in each area!
Good luck!
Reply 112
_Shines_

I did my EE in biology of the causes of left-handedness on a sample group, it took me all summer, but it was worth it as its a subject I'm interested in, and know a lot about, but also because its a medical topic as well, ideal for applying to medicine!

Wow, interesting topic _Shines_! What did you discover? I'm curious :biggrin:
Name] Serena

[Subjects, specify if HL or SL]
- English A HL
- French B HL
- Physics SL
- Mathematics Methods
- History HL
- Theater SL

[Strongest Subjects] English, probably

[Extended Essay Topic]comparison between the novels of Raymond Chandler and Ross Macdonald

Essay is on truth, presentation I need help on

[Extra Comments]
How is everyone doing their TOK presentations? How did you find a topic?
DrSoySauce
Name] Serena

Essay is on truth, presentation I need help on

[Extra Comments]

Hi Serena!
I am struggling to get a TOK topic too...there are sample topics in the IB TOK Teacher's Guide or whatever its called...maybe reading those will be helpful...? (I might do one of those with a few changes actually...)
Reply 115
Serena

My ToK presentation was a powerpoint. The teacher gave us a list of possible topics that we could do, though we didn't have to do them. I did it on whether history tells us the truth.
Reply 116
I did 'Problems of knoweldge encountered when examining religion and faith'...... and got 20/20 :biggrin:
vavavoom
My ToK presentation was a powerpoint. The teacher gave us a list of possible topics that we could do, though we didn't have to do them. I did it on whether history tells us the truth.

I chose mine today...its the one about "Is misleading the public purposefully justifiable....."
Any comments are welcome! (:
Reply 118
kildare
I did 'Problems of knoweldge encountered when examining religion and faith'...... and got 20/20 :biggrin:

Good job Kildare :biggrin: The teacher hasn't given our grade yet, though she did give me a thumbs up after I finished it~!

Today is my English oral (the one where you pick a passage/poem out of an envelope) and I am so nervous that last night I jumped out of bed 6 times sweating and thinking I was going to be late for my oral......of those 3 dreams were of being late.......horrible......not a very nice way to start the morning :'( I still feel very, very stressed, although i've prepared very hard for it......

Oh well off to school wish me luck!!!! I need it!
vavavoom
Good job Kildare :biggrin: The teacher hasn't given our grade yet, though she did give me a thumbs up after I finished it~!

Today is my English oral (the one where you pick a passage/poem out of an envelope) and I am so nervous that last night I jumped out of bed 6 times sweating and thinking I was going to be late for my oral......of those 3 dreams were of being late.......horrible......not a very nice way to start the morning :'( I still feel very, very stressed, although i've prepared very hard for it......

Oh well off to school wish me luck!!!! I need it!

Loads of luck Vavavoom!! (You must have had it by now but...)I am sure it would have been a breeze! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending