-*Ultimate IB Students Thread*- Watch

This discussion is closed.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by sarahwhatevver)
Loads of luck Vavavoom!! (You must have had it by now but...)I am sure it would have been a breeze!
Thanks!!! I was lucky in fact! I got a passage i'd previously written an essay on - a passage from Jane Austen's Emma - and I was able to speak quite smoothly!! The teacher was happy too.

Good luck to anyone who will be taking their orals!!!
DrSoySauce
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks for the suggestions. The problem for me is the teacher gave us partners, and mine is a Spanish guy who's English isn't all that good. So the topic has to be understood by him, and one that he can talk about for ten minutes or whatever.

Congratulations on the 20/20, though.
sofia
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
As there are a lot of IB Students in this forum I thought i'd make a thread for ppl just to introduce themselves and say what subjects they're studying. This way we can PM each other and help everyone get those top grades! Hee hee

So, if your an IB student plz fill out this questionnare.

[Name]Sofia
[IB 1st or 2nd year?]2nd year
[Subjects, specify if HL or SL]

-Theatre Arts (HL)
-History (HL)
-FrenchB (HL)
-Maths Studies (SL)
-Biology (SL
-Spanish A1 (SL)
[Strongest Subjects]Theatre Arts and French
[Extended Essay Topic] What is the society's reaction after the closing of the frontiere between Spain and Gibraltar
[ToK Essay Question + Presentation] Can we prove something that has not yet been proven true?
-
-
[Extra Comments]
If I can help anyone with french, please don't hesitate cos it's my first language!!!Oh and Spanish too...good luck everyone with ur IB exams
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by sofia)
If I can help anyone with french, please don't hesitate cos it's my first language!!!Oh and Spanish too...good luck everyone with ur IB exams
Welcome to the thread
sofia
Report 14 years ago
Welcome to the thread
Thanx a lot, and let me know if any help is needed....im in the middle of my mocks, today is my last day...french and maths..yuk yuk!!
Have a nice day!!

Sofia
DrSoySauce
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hey! Great to finally see another person doing theater. We seem to be underrepresented on this forum. How is that going for you?
sarahwhatevver
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thanks!!! I was lucky in fact! I got a passage i'd previously written an essay on - a passage from Jane Austen's Emma - and I was able to speak quite smoothly!! The teacher was happy too.

Good luck to anyone who will be taking their orals!!!
Yayyy!! Good job!!
sofia
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DrSoySauce)
Hey! Great to finally see another person doing theater. We seem to be underrepresented on this forum. How is that going for you?
Well the course is great, I think it's very interesting to learn new forms of theatre, I have just done my mock which was an oral of a play called "The 3 sisters" by Chekhov, It's not easy but hey, it's worth it.
For my individual project I have written a monologue which I am going to perform at school on the 18th of Feb...haven't rehearsed much :s so must work hard on that now that my mocks are over now!!!!!!!!!
What about you??
See ya
Sofia
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by _EMMA_)
how do you write biology reports, or physichs for that matter i think it is almost the same?
today with only a couple of weeks before revision and about two weeks before the reports are going to be handed in my biology teacher says that the way we have written reports are wrong! it's too late now!
i'm very angry because of this. she said that we were going to write the report with less subtitles and a more fluent text, with title in the marginal. this was something i did in the begining but then a teaher said i had to divide it more! i have had several biology teachers. i'm confused and don't know how to write, i have one report left and i want to make it perfect. content is no problem it is just the structure, does anyone know what IB wants?
Hmmm for us it's:

Aim
Hypothesis
Method
Results
Conclusion
Evaluation
_EMMA_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmmm for us it's:

Aim
Hypothesis
Method
Results
Conclusion
Evaluation
do you write these as subtitles?
vavavoom
Rep:
?
do you write these as subtitles?
Yuppers Didn't your teacher give you the IB biology assessment sheet? That's what it says
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yuppers Didn't your teacher give you the IB biology assessment sheet? That's what it says
well she had been giving me some papers but she has changed her mind bacj and forth so i didn't know what to think. anyway thanks for the help, i'll give you some rep.
girl.a
Report 14 years ago
[Name] May
[IB 1st or 2nd year?] 2nd
- eng H
- french H
- art H
- Bio S
- Geo S
-math studies S
[Strongest Subjects] French
[Extended Essay Topic] some crap about France and the influences from the 'growing' paris
[ToK Essay Question + Presentation]
- The Sartre one!
- Body lang
[Extra Comments]
PLease help me with the tok essay!!!!
vavavoom
Rep:
?
well she had been giving me some papers but she has changed her mind bacj and forth so i didn't know what to think. anyway thanks for the help, i'll give you some rep.
Aww thanx! I'll give you some back then
vavavoom
Rep:
?
(Original post by girl.a)
[Extra Comments]
1) Embellish your essay with as many examples as possible.
2) Include a personal experience.
3) Preferably use an example from Asia (or your home country). Everyone uses examples from the west, and apparently this year the examiners complained about that.
4) Do not use examples that are definately used by everyone eg. Galileo and Plato (both in reference to being right about their theories when everyone thought they were wrong) because it makes examiners cringe from reading it so much.
5) Always, always, always stay focused on the problems of knowledge. Refer back to your knower's circle and the different ways of knowing (perception, reason, emotion, language).

To get started on the essay I had to sit down in front of my desk for 1 hr just taking notes = just let my ideas flow as they came along. Because tok is so complex it had to be on paper (thought's all over the place). But ultimately this helps!! Once you get your thoughts down (and hopefully have a few examples of the top of your head) I then searched the internet and library for more examples. Sometimes looking up quotes helps~.

I then finally got started on my essay I'm doing the filter one btw, lol.

Hope this helps~!!

mar
vavavoom
Rep:
?
Hmmm for us it's:

Aim
Hypothesis
Method
Results
Conclusion
Evaluation
Sorry just remembered I left out 'Analysis' which is after 'Results'
sarahwhatevver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by girl.a)
[Name] May
[IB 1st or 2nd year?] 2nd
- eng H
- french H
- art H
- Bio S
- Geo S
-math studies S
[Strongest Subjects] French
[Extended Essay Topic] some crap about France and the influences from the 'growing' paris
[ToK Essay Question + Presentation]
- The Sartre one!
- Body lang
[Extra Comments]
I could have sworn I posted a message on how you should read the IB TOK Guidlelines book... :confused: anyway, your teacher should have it, go through the assessment criteria for the TOK essay and pretty much everything like the knowledge issues etc etc. Once you understand what they are asking for, the ideas would hopefully be easier to put onto paper....
Good luck! (:
_EMMA_
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sarahwhatevver)
I could have sworn I posted a message on how you should read the IB TOK Guidlelines book... :confused:
i think you did, remember that i read it, although now i'm not so sure either couldn't find it. :confused: maybe a mod deleted it?
DrSoySauce
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well the course is great, I think it's very interesting to learn new forms of theatre, I have just done my mock which was an oral of a play called "The 3 sisters" by Chekhov, It's not easy but hey, it's worth it.
For my individual project I have written a monologue which I am going to perform at school on the 18th of Feb...haven't rehearsed much :s so must work hard on that now that my mocks are over now!!!!!!!!!
What about you??
I read that, although in English, and I liked it. It's a difficult play, though. I think all of Chekhov is pretty hard.
I did my mock play analysis on Oedipus Rex, which has turned out to be really useful for the actual thing. Have you found out what the choices are yet? Have you chosen one?
The course has been really good for me, since it is theater as a serious subject, rather than just messing about. Makes a nice change, although unfortunatly a lot more work! I'm standard, so I don't have to do an individual project.
sarahwhatevver
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think you did, remember that i read it, although now i'm not so sure either couldn't find it. :confused: maybe a mod deleted it?
The good news is, I am not losing my mind afterall...the bad news is, I dont know why a mod would delete the post... :confused: I am positive I didnt swear, or say anything offensive...?
Strange!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (4)
44.44%
No - I got the required grades (4)
44.44%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
11.11%

Watched Threads