Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well basically here are my marks

Maths 241/300 - Just an A
    Chemistry 218/300 - B
    Biology 201/300 - C
    Music 152/300 - D

I want to study economics at a top 10 university - hopefully at LSE or Oxford as this is where my family have studied but this is looking increasingly unlikely due to my grades, any opinions on this?

My thoughts for next year would be to drop Biology and Music and take up Economics AS + A2, would this be manageable? Anything else I should do? Also is there any hope of turning that chemistry into an A grade?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can't you retake some modules to up your grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarageMc)

Chemistry 218/300 - B
    Biology 201/300 - C
    Music 152/300 - D

I want to study economics at a top 10 university - hopefully at LSE or Oxford as this is where my family have studied but this is looking increasingly unlikely due to my grades, any opinions on this?

My thoughts for next year would be to drop Biology and Music and take up Economics AS + A2, would this be manageable? Anything else I should do? Also is there any hope of turning that chemistry into an A grade?

Thanks
    If you seriously wish to be considered by Oxford and Co not just because of your family, I suggest you firstly speak to your head of economics and see whether she/he believes that you can do both.

As for Music and Biology, if you do not intend to carry on with these, then DO NOT cash your grades in. You have the option of declining your grades which would enable you to do resits. however, you do not need any.

The reason you should do this is if you cash them in then they MUST go on your UCAS form and so the universities will see a C and a D. A Bad idea just In the case the top unis are "scared" off.

By declining them, the grades DO NOT need to go on the form and the universities are none the wiser of your grades. You will still recieve your ASs but next year.

I did this will my Business Studies AS which was a D and it was recommended by the HOS to everyone in my position whether they were applying to high offer unis or not.

ReputationRep:
    Your UCAS form needs to be in (for Oxford) in September and you won't be able to re-sit any exams before then. Unless you have a genuine reason for doing poorly in your AS exams they are unlikely to interview you. Remember: very few Oxbrdige students get offers lower than AAA and often you need AAA and so much more - a certain flare at the interview is desirable.

One thing you should do is get your teachers to predict you all As; people on here have said before that admissions tutors pay more attention to predicted grades. To get in at Oxford or LSE is tough for a straight-A student and so, for you, it is going to be very difficult. You need the best personal statement, predicted grades and teacher reference just to be looked at. My tutor told me that the first stage of applicant selection involves a secretary (or other admin person) sifting through the forms and taking out any with low grades. Unfortunately you may be in this group and your form, with its fantastic predictions and PS, may never be seen by an admissions tutor.

Sorry to sound so negative but it's something you should be aware of, I think.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarageMc)

Chemistry 218/300 - B
    Biology 201/300 - C
    Music 152/300 - D

Thanks
    You could just about get into a top university if you WORK YOUR ASS OFF, retake everything you can retake, pay for some coaching to get into Oxbridge or something, write the best personal statement anyone's ever seen, and nail your interview. But it's ok, don't worry!! You can always join the army!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Unless it has changed, Oxford don't actually do an Economics degree. They do economics and something (possibly management). I have no idea whether that makes it easier or harder to get into though.

Since economics at A level is mostly and understanding subject rather than a learning facts subject doing AS and A2 in one year wouldn't be that hard if you're motivated. And some of the topics covered in some modules is the same (plus there's the mulitple choice )

Would you be able to resit some of biology and music? It would be a lot of work but you'd end up with 3 A levels and 2 AS's which would make you stand out a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been bothered to read the other posts so i'm sorry if I've repeated some things.

Honestly, ABCD isn't bad (and it has a ring to it as well! lol). Almost all uni's ask for is 3 A's, I know someone in my school who's gone from BCC to 3 A's (but she seriously turned into an owl! hahahaha!!! So did I .....). So 3 A's is definitely possible, just work hard. So you shouldn't waste energy worrying about getting your 3 A's but instead spend energy starting to get your 3 A's, a few retakes in Jan and June and you're DONE! .

About ucas/application to uni:
    I do believe all uni's will consider you, even possibly oxbridge (If you give a great interview and get top marks in any examination while you're there, possibly a maths one because your course is economics). But in all honestly, I do think your chances of getting into oxbridge is greatly lowered due to your AS grades. Other universities would not care that much about your AS grades because your ones aren't that bad, all uni's know that a lot can happen within one year and people with 3C can turn it into 3A, some might be more impressed with it since it shows a lot of determination and perseverance. Make sure your predicted grades are good, uni's will base their view about you more biased to your predicted grades than your AS grades. (Because the predicted grades are what you could end up with and are given to you by people who has been teaching you for about 1 year-ish so they're more likely to know your true potentials).

I hope all goes well!!!!
    Mikey Mikey Mikes

ReputationRep:
    Doing an A2 in one year......... risky but possible. Making your chemistry an A, definitely possible, are you with OCR, I can send you some papers, what modules are you doing?

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge do the "Economics" course, Oxford do "Economics and Management"
    LSE do loads of related courses!

Urm...with your grades you'll find it an up hill struggle, to be quite frank - unlikely, but its worth a shot I guess???
    I wouldn't set your heart on it; if you've really got your heart set on it you really do need 3A grade AS and 3A grade A levels (predictions at least!)

ReputationRep:
    You need 480/600 to get an A at A level.

So... well, I don't take maths and have no idea what you'd need. But its doable for chemistry, and even biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    You need 480/600 to get an A at A level.

So... well, I don't take maths and have no idea what you'd need. But its doable for chemistry, and even biology.
    It's the same for maths, you need 6 modules, each consisting of 100 points. I think Maths should be the easier of the three to get an A in with the new CORE modules, almost everyone in my school keep getting 100% in C1-3, C4 tends to be harder.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, unless there is a good reason why you achieved those grades such as bereavement or illness, then maybe you would not cope at Oxbridge. I really don't mean to be negative; If you KNOW you are good enough for Oxford/LSE then maybe take a year out/resit the year to give yourself the the time to achieve your potential, but do not kid yourself, its a waste of your time, when you could be reaching the same achievements elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)
    If you seriously wish to be considered by Oxford and Co not just because of your family, I suggest you firstly speak to your head of economics and see whether she/he believes that you can do both.

As for Music and Biology, if you do not intend to carry on with these, then DO NOT cash your grades in. You have the option of declining your grades which would enable you to do resits. however, you do not need any.

The reason you should do this is if you cash them in then they MUST go on your UCAS form and so the universities will see a C and a D. A Bad idea just In the case the top unis are "scared" off.

By declining them, the grades DO NOT need to go on the form and the universities are none the wiser of your grades. You will still recieve your ASs but next year.

I did this will my Business Studies AS which was a D and it was recommended by the HOS to everyone in my position whether they were applying to high offer unis or not.

Declining grades is all very well, but it would still look a bit odd and if I were an admissions tutor, would lead me to ask 2 questions main:

1. What did they do with that time?

2. If they got grades and declined them if they were too low:

-Why couldn't they get the grades they needed to meet the terms of a typical offer first time? If not, do we want to consider an application form this person anyway?

and

-Are things likely to be much different this time around?

Sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but if you are going to apply to Oxbridge, the competition will be tough and u can expect these kind of questions. Last year, they turned down something like 10 000 applications from people who got straight A's, so its tough. I'm not saying you can't or won't do it, and if you want to try, then go for it

On the family thing, I know its really hard if there is pressure or expectation to go there, but this should be waaaay down on the list of reasons for applying to a place, if indeed it is present at all. Parents and others will hopefully realise that u are you, a person in their own right, and will do your best. If you don't end up going to Oxford, yuo are not a failure and shouldn't beat yourself up or feel bad, everyone is different You could also do what I did, and say ur saving Oxbridge for your masters Whatever the outcome, best of luck with the application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriswhit)
    Declining grades is all very well, but it would still look a bit odd and if I were an admissions tutor, would lead me to ask 2 questions main:

1. What did they do with that time?

2. If they got grades and declined them if they were too low:

-Why couldn't they get the grades they needed to meet the terms of a typical offer first time? If not, do we want to consider an application form this person anyway?

and

-Are things likely to be much different this time around?

Sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but if you are going to apply to Oxbridge, the competition will be tough and u can expect these kind of questions. Last year, they turned down something like 10 000 applications from people who got straight A's, so its tough. I'm not saying you can't or won't do it, and if you want to try, then go for it

On the family thing, I know its really hard if there is pressure or expectation to go there, but this should be waaaay down on the list of reasons for applying to a place, if indeed it is present at all. Parents and others will hopefully realise that u are you, a person in their own right, and will do your best. If you don't end up going to Oxford, yuo are not a failure and shouldn't beat yourself up or feel bad, everyone is different You could also do what I did, and say ur saving Oxbridge for your masters Whatever the outcome, best of luck with the application

All I meant was that the unis, according to my HOS, would probably think they were resitting or something.

Bangor and Cardiff both asked me at my interviews what my AS grades were but I was able to explain I was resitting most of the modules and the fact I did not wish to continue Business Studies as I felt the course wasn't suitiable or enjoyable for me but was considering a resit later in the year.

I still got offers from both.

ReputationRep:
    Yes...but remember Oxford and Cambridge are "snob universities" in the sense that you require the v.highest achedemics. Some people do take years out and re-try...but are you going to hang on forever to see if you can get into Oxbridge? What if you "fail" to succeed to the highest possible level again?

You need to think this through real hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexMaximus)
    Yes...but remember Oxford and Cambridge are "snob universities" in the sense that you require the v.highest achedemics. Some people do take years out and re-try...but are you going to hang on forever to see if you can get into Oxbridge? What if you "fail" to succeed to the highest possible level again?

You need to think this through real hard!
    Tell me about it I know someone who goes to Oriel College, Oxford and my god does he has a pole or a gerkin or something rammed up his backside!

Then again a good friend of mine just got into cambridge with AAB and she is delightful, she is certin to break a few hearts when they discover she has a long term boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    As stated above, you can only do straight economics at Cambridge. At Oxford you'd have to do economics and management. I know there's a course called PPE (politics, philosophy and economics) but I'm not sure whether that's at Oxford, Cambridge or both. Anyway, it's probably best that you want to apply to Oxford because Cambridge ask for your module scores, so they'd be able to work out your AS grades. Oxford interview less applicants though, so you really need to be predicted AAA. If you can convince your teachers you're capable of it and you just had some bad exams this year, you might be able to manage that. Obviously you're going to need AAA to meet your offer if you get one, so I'd recommend dropping music (and declining the grade) and resitting at least one module in biology, chemistry and maybe maths to make it easier. It will be a hell of a lot of hard work, but if you really believe you're capable of it and coming out with AAA, go for it! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    PPE is at Oxford not Cambridge, as well as at Durham and some others.

When I apply won't Oxford and Cambridge be looking at my module scores? If I don't take a gap year?

ReputationRep:
    you have got no chance mates, unless you have possibly the best personal statement and extra curricular record ever, EVER/1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    PPE is at Oxford not Cambridge, as well as at Durham and some others.

When I apply won't Oxford and Cambridge be looking at my module scores? If I don't take a gap year?
    Cambridge ask for your UMS, but not sure for Oxford.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.