Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh and "y'all"

I don't mind that it's a lazy word... it's just overused.

And then there's "get to steppin'"

Hmmm, British snobbery on my behalf perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    Well. Just 'well' being used instead of 'really' or 'very'. I do it myself without thinking, but it annoys me!! Saying 'Aw, that's well good' or 'well ace' or 'well nice' or 'well cool' (you get the point)

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure that these count as slang, but they do tend to be mistakes made when speaking, rather than when writing, sooo:

1. "there's" followed by something in the plural. e.g. "there's lots of books here."

2. i can't remember it exactly but something along the lines of "i wish i would have" (or worse still, "i wish i would of"). what's wrong with "i wish i had"?

as for more normal slang, i really dislike "innit" and ridiculous words like "cushdi" (sp?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttons7)
    1. "there's" followed by something in the plural. e.g. "there's lots of books here."
    What about "there're lots of books here"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    What about "there're lots of books here"
    when speaking, that's ok. but if someone writes that down (without putting it between quotation marks and using it as direct speech) whilst sitting within arm's reach of where i am then they get a slapping.

ReputationRep:
    lol - it sounds so lazy.

ReputationRep:
    "end of."

End of what you ignoramus!

ReputationRep:
    'Shan' - Edinburgh word for 'cruel'/'unfair'.

ReputationRep:
    "in a bit"

"safe as"

"hit on" - as in "that guy just hit on me"

"stoked" -as in "i'm tooooootally stoked to be here mayan, it's radical mayan!!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmjp)
    lol - it sounds so lazy.
    do people actually say that???? i can tolerate it when written down on msn/in emails/on forums, because it is a way of indicating that you find something amusing, and looks less manic than "hahaha." but are there actually people who use it as a word ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buttons7)
    do people actually say that???? i can tolerate it when written down on msn/in emails/on forums, because it is a way of indicating that you find something amusing, and looks less manic than "hahaha." but are there actually people who use it as a word ???
    its true, a bloke at my school randomly said it one day and we all just burst out laughing, it sounds so silly out loud.

ReputationRep:
    ppl who say 'safe' meaning something is good and saying 'mare' i.e. nightmare to convey a bad time.

ReputationRep:
    I was planning to denounce you all as snobs, but 'lol'?
    Why don't you just laugh! If you find it amusing- laugh!
    *shudder*

Oh and 'Bothered':used to indicate lack of interest, can be used individually or in a sentance, as in 'do I look bothered?'- annoys the hell out of me, constantly used my my little sis.

Other words she says that I dislike:
    'Innit': isn't it
    'Safe': alright, compliment, as in: 'You're safe, innit?'
    'Dry': Boring, not of interest. : 'That/It/You is/are sooo dry.'

Slang unrelated to my sister that I dislike:

'Well': really.
    'Vexed': Put out, as in: 'I was well vexed/It was well vexing'
    'Boyakasha': damn you Ali G!
    'What's gwaanin'?: What is going on?
    'Standard': see 'safe'
    'Cotching': chilling out
    'Wablo': form of greeting, presumably
    'Tonk': large
    'Bre'er': brother,man. as in 'tonk bre'er' : man of unusually large proportions.

Oh, good, lord!
    I'm a snob!

ReputationRep:
    I thought that the title said most annoying **** when i first read it

ReputationRep:
    People say "lol"?? o.m.g...

ReputationRep:
    when people over use the world "like".... and "you know"

eg. I was like, you know, going to the, you know, shops, like and I, you know, saw this, like, gorrrrgeous, you know, you knowww kinda like brad pitt, like, you knowwwwwwwwww

:mad:
    Random One

ReputationRep:
    When people say 'heavy' to mean cool or good, i really don't like that!My friend went out on a date and the guy said to her 'you're looking heavy tonight' and she thought he was saying she was fat!Not only is slang stupid, you could end up being slapped!
    Also, alot of people say 'reet' meaning right, t'internet, and just really lame things that i didn't think people actually used in real life, like keep it on the DL (down low!),and people that say chick, darling, babez, honey in every other sentence, drives me mad!

ReputationRep:
    "like" and "uh" piss me off like you don't know!

oh, and I hate the phrase "piss me off like you don't know"....

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i use "like" a lot..but that's because i'm from california

I can't stand "reckon"---argh

i reckon that reckon is the worst for me.

ReputationRep:
    I love 'no wucking forries mate' with an australian accent!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.