Advice on a Holiday for 16 Year Olds

Watch
This discussion is closed.
kizstyle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
As we slowly amble towards the end of our school years and as we finish our GCSEs, invariably my friends and I want to celebrate (or, indeed, commiserate as the case may be for some!) 12 years of sublime edification...

Who am I kidding? We're just trying to justify a lads' holiday abroad and our parents have given us the 'okay' to do so. But, I was wondering, is it too stellar a hope? Would any places take on a group (around 5-8) of raucous and rowdy young lads? Okay, we could feign domestication and etiquette, but, in all seriousness, do any places (abroad) take 16 year olds? We'd prefer a hotel but I realise we could probably stay in a youth hostel.

Also, have you any advice on whereabouts to go if, indeed, any place would take us (speaking from self-experience, perhaps)? Here's basically a summary of what we desire:

a cheap holiday (most of us don't have that much to spend)
great entertainment possibilities
a beach (this one is a requisite!)
a leniency for teenage drinking
high temperatures (or, at least, comparatively with Britain!)

Do you have any other advice?
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your better off going to somewhere like newquay. Go camping etc, and leave the major holidays for a year or two later.
(This is all in my opinion as i have had two seperate group of mates have bad experiences with it)
My friends have experienced problems getting hotel, then they failed at getting into any clubs, couldnt drink at hotel. They may just of looked young etc. but still. They had nothing to do. Thats for both groups of my friends.

We easily managed to drink etc when we went on family&friend holidays type thing, where me and two mates would go with mum&dad etc. But still.. thats not what your after.

In my experience this kinda thing fails.In others it probably hasnt.. so its gonna be opinionated :P
geminibubblegum
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Italy???
Deutsch_Beth
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What's wrong with Newquay? Though thats where everyone goes after GCSEs?

My friends went camping in West Wales - whole week cost us £36 quid, so pretty cheap, but not for the faint hearted lol.

I suppose your best bet abroad would be France. The drinking age is 16, its pretty close and cheap to get to. Get a rail ticket and head down south to one of the larger towns and see about renting une caravane or staying in une auberge de jeunesse.
PrincessSiobhan17
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
i went to turkey for a week when i was 16 XD the most amazing week ever! it was fairly cheap and the drinking age is 12 lol the beach is really close and the weather is lush, it was just such a perfect holiday.

just dont forget you cant fly abroad without someone who is 18 or over or book the holiday unless you are 18 or over

but the hotel was Pine Hills, Hisaronu, Turkey. quite basic but was clean and you get what you pay for...and you'll probs be too drunk to notice a bit of dust lol

is especially good to go just before the summer holidays as there are less families with screaming children which is not fun if youve got a hangover lol and its much cheaper

if you want anymore info, msg me
Made of Something
Report 10 years ago
Butlins :woo:
Purple Haze
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeh going abroad could be a bit risky with your age because of the laws in different countries about the ages most countries you have to be 18 to book hotels ettc......the best idea would probably camping in Britain ... :/
Kmaster
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Man i soo wanna go on holiday after GCSE's like with mates and stufF.
Harrison smith
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Me and my mates went to Brussells, when we were 16, we travelled by megabus and stayed in a youth hostel, and I have got to say best time of my life to date.
georgexD
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Come to Greece mate! Beaches, clubs alcohol, SUN, girls :sexface:, cheap actually and great historical sights if u are interested!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Abbie101
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what if my parents book a holiday for me and my friend who are 16, because then someone over 18 would legally have booked. then we get to the hotel and if weve booked then cant send us home???
symptha97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've done a bit of research on holidays for 16 year olds my self as I wanted to go with my group of girlfriends after GCSE's and I know that you're allowed to travel on certain air lines such as Easyjet if you're over 14, Flybe if you're over 12, British airlines if you're 16 and Virgin Atlantic if 'unaccompanied minors form' is filled out by parent or legal guardian.

As for the accommodation some hotels you're classed as an adult if you're over the age of 14 others may be 18, you could stay in a hostel, family or friends time share or flat, or stay in a villa which would be cheaper if more then 6 of you're going as you could split the cost. I would email or contact the owner first explain how mature and responsible you are and ask if its okay.

Holidays abroad are expensive so you must be sure of every thing you have to pay for such as flights, accommodation, travel (bus, taxi), food, drinks, travel insurance and spending money for activities. I would expect you to spend at least £400 each.

I recommend going to places like Greek Islands, Turkey, France, Malta and Amsterdam as they have more laid back laws on things like clubs ect. Although Turkey and Amsterdam may be harder to persuade your parents to let you go.

Your best option is probably going camping or places like Butlins or Trecobay although going abroad is possible if planned out properly.
PeggyEichler
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have been to Thailand when I am 16, and it was a great vacation! And I will definitely suggest this country to others who want to enjoy their first holiday trip
anthony03
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
how old were you?
anthony03
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
we wanna go on holiday at the end of yr11, we will all be 16 and we have no budget issues coz we have found loads that are like £600pp and we all know we can afford that either through just having it or like split with parents but can anyone suggest any countries that would allow us to go at 16 and ive also checked legalities of flights so we know we can fly. So ye any countries just coz our very last resort is to go to one of the party members villa abroad that on fits like 7-8 out of the 10 going. so ye
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anthony03)
we wanna go on holiday at the end of yr11, we will all be 16 and we have no budget issues coz we have found loads that are like £600pp and we all know we can afford that either through just having it or like split with parents but can anyone suggest any countries that would allow us to go at 16 and ive also checked legalities of flights so we know we can fly. So ye any countries just coz our very last resort is to go to one of the party members villa abroad that on fits like 7-8 out of the 10 going. so ye
Depends what you're after..
France is a piece of piss to get to.
Greece/Spain/Italy/Turkey are cheap and have a lax attitude to underage drinking and general merryment.
Eastern Europe is good especially the Balkans.
sarahmarcella
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi do you have the details xxx
Aisling44
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you do this/did this work. Me and my friend were thinking about doing this just wondering if this idea worked thank you
Aisling44
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Abbie101)
what if my parents book a holiday for me and my friend who are 16, because then someone over 18 would legally have booked. then we get to the hotel and if weve booked then cant
Hi I know this was a while ago but I was wondering if this idea worked as my friend and I are hoping to go away at the end of Yr 11
Anonymous.123
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Me and a couple of friends are wanting to go to an island off the coast of Greece next year. Majority of us will be 16 but a couple will be 17. The booking and money isn't an issue but I don't know if my parents will let me go. For anybody else who also went abroad with friends at 16, please could you give me some advice about how your parents had trust in you and actually let you go. I don't want to miss out because everybody else can go without a problem.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (59)
17.3%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (95)
27.86%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (131)
38.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (45)
13.2%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.23%

Watched Threads