Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew1989)
    Also it is alot scarier for people predicted A*'s because we can't get better than predicted- we can only do worse. And that feels really really bad and makes the fear of failing double or triple. Somebody who is predicted a C can realistically get a B whereas how can somebody predicted an A* improve- we have no hope!!!
    I don't think you alone can say that it is scarier for people predicted A* grades purely because of the prediction element? Unless you know each and everyone's own individual feelings? That's crazy. It's all dependent on how important you think GCSEs are. It's subjective. Also, with regards to people who aren't predicted A* grades, do you not think that there is a certain element of pressure for them to better their predictions? Personal satisfaction and what not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    I don't think you alone can say that it is scarier for people predicted A* grades purely because of the prediction element? Unless you know each and everyone's own individual feelings? That's crazy. It's all dependent on how important you think GCSEs are. It's subjective. Also, with regards to people who aren't predicted A* grades, do you not think that there is a certain element of pressure for them to better their predictions? Personal satisfaction and what not?
    Emmmm well from the response of the people agreeing with me I would say that I have pretty much hit the nail on the head. I am making a general hypothesis- now I am going to explain that to you very slowly; that means in most cases it is correct- I am not claming there arn't exceptions.

I am not claiming that there is less pressure on people to receive lower grades but I am giving a reason why those predicted higher grades may be stressing out. I am also saying that in general those who constantly worry about grades will have a better work ethic (this cannot really been argued with) and therefore will probabley acheive higher than they otherwise would! My friend Andy is like this- he trys really really hard and therefore he achieves higher than he normally would. For example he couldn't understand quadratics for weeks- but he worked day and night until he could.

You seem to have a huge issue with every statment I make today. For example earlier when people were saying they wouldn't accept money from their parents I made a GENERAL HYPOTHESIS that most people would not refuse ten quid and you lost it. Again several people agreed with me meaning that my general hypothesis was correct- now I am sorry I used you as an example for that but there was no reason to accuse me of being big headed. Don't you like other people being right for once?

I am really sorry about this people I generally don't like having arguments with people but this is the second time he has accused me of being "omniscient"- do you think I have over stepped here?

ReputationRep:
    from experience i actually agree with pixelated (hasnt happened very often lately) i believe that the pressure to achieve A*s and A's consistently is far much pressure because it is the GENERALISATION that those achieving C's and lower in all or most subjects dont actually care that much what they actually get. but i do also take the view of matthew 1989 that there also many who put just as much pressure and are birdened upon just as much when attempting to achieve their targetted B and C grades. just because higher grades are achieved by one person than another doesnt mean there is any less pressure to achieve slightly lower grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudger99)
    from experience i actually agree with pixelated (hasnt happened very often lately) i believe that the pressure to achieve A*s and A's consistently is far much pressure because it is the GENERALISATION that those achieving C's and lower in all or most subjects dont actually care that much what they actually get. but i do also take the view of matthew 1989 that there also many who put just as much pressure and are birdened upon just as much when attempting to achieve their targetted B and C grades. just because higher grades are achieved by one person than another doesnt mean there is any less pressure to achieve slightly lower grades.
    I am not saying that the pressure is less- I can see why you might think that- but I was just attempting to put a reason to the question:

Why is it always those who have A*'s predicted that say they are worried?

ReputationRep:
    ok get ya now. have you had a row with pixelated?!! lol

ReputationRep:
    ok get ya now. have you had a row with pixelated?!! lol
    Oh yeah- look at this one;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=135510&page=4

Exactly the same thing that happended here- several people say "Matthew has a very good point" so he jumps down my throat!

ReputationRep:
    Emmmm well from the response of the people agreeing with me I would say that I have pretty much hit the nail on the head. I am making a general hypothesis- now I am going to explain that to you very slowly; that means in most cases it is correct- I am not claming there arn't exceptions.
    You said: "And people the reason it is always those who are predicted A*'s that are worried" :rolleyes: Tell me where exactly in that quote is there room for exception?

You seem to have a huge issue with every statment I make today.
    Because I've disagreed wholeheartedly with most of what you've said. Is it wrong of me to disagree?
    For example earlier when people were saying they wouldn't accept money from their parents I made a GENERAL HYPOTHESIS that most people would not refuse ten quid and you lost it.
    You must have poor communication skills then, because nothing really screamed "generalisation" to me in that post. I'm interested; tell me what isolated that post from being a personal attack. You directly addressed me - how am I to think otherwise? I don't know you, I don't know what your reasons for the post were. How am I supposed to know you are generalising?
    I am sorry I used you as an example for that but there was no reason to accuse me of being big headed.
    There was reason. You were acting as if you knew me better than I myself. If you had generalised I wouldn't have made an issue out of it.
    Don't you like other people than you being right for once?
    I accept that your "general hypothesises" are correct. As I've said, I wouldn't have pushed the issue had I known you were generalising.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah- look at this one;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=135510&page=4

Exactly the same thing that happended here- several people say "Matthew has a very good point" so he jumps down my throat!
    I started typing the reply before anyone else had replied. Again, exercising your "omniscience". :rolleyes: How do you know when I started typing that message? Like I said, you don't know me, therefore you shouldn't assume why I do things.

ReputationRep:
    is it me or is it deja vu?? i remember you arguing with me (pixelated) only a couple of hours ago about whether science is relevant to the curriculum or not! i sense you are very opinionated!!! (which is a good thing)!

ReputationRep:
    bloody hell cool it!!

ReputationRep:
    No it is not wrong of you to disagree, you are obviously fully entitled to your own opinion and I respect that whole heartadley. However I feel as if you are constantly attacking my opinion because it is my opinion- I am sorry if I am wrong but it feels as if you are attacking me.

And the reason I quoted you in that post was because you were the last person out of many that said they wanted no money. I did not mean to make it specifically addressed to u- and even if I had it was hardly offensive.

ReputationRep:
    is it me or is it deja vu?? i remember you arguing with me (pixelated) only a couple of hours ago about whether science is relevant to the curriculum or not! i sense you are very opinionated!!! (which is a good thing)!
    Normally I would agree but it seems as if he purposly trys to starts fights with people!

ReputationRep:
    I am really sorry about this people I generally don't like having arguments with people but this is the second time he has accused me of being "omniscient"- do you think I have over stepped here?
    I don't like how you're trying to make out as if I'm a "bad guy". I'm not. I have every reason to be annoyed with you, after your demeaning post earlier on, directed at me. Had I not had that encounter with you earlier, I would've left this debate. But I percieve you as someone who thinks they "know better". I don't like this perpetual arguing, but you've really annoyed me. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    No it is not wrong of you to disagree, you are obviously fully entitled to your own opinion and I respect that whole heartadley. However I feel as if you are constantly attacking my opinion because it is my opinion- I am sorry if I am wrong but it feels as if you are attacking me.

And the reason I quoted you in that post was because you were the last person out of many that said they wanted no money. I did not mean to make it specifically addressed to u- and even if I had it was hardly offensive.
    Ok. Let's both just accept that we have crossed wires, and call a truce? Ok? No hard feelings? I appologise for the way I have come across today, it's not a true representation of me at all. I enjoy debate and discussion, but not in this way.

ReputationRep:
    I rather enjoyed that debate (as pointless as it was in the end). :p:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Matthew, Pixelated stop stealing his thunder! I think a majority of people get stressed out about results because they genuinely want to do well for themselves, whether their best efforts may be straight A*s or straight Ds. However the pressure is on for those who are predicted all A*s because there is not much they can improve on, they are unable to exceed their predicted grades but there is a possiblity that they fail to meet them. For someone who is not predicted all A*s (even if it is something like 1 A and the rest A*S) there is still room for improvement, so the level of intensity is less than it is for someone expecting all top marks. This is why I think that predictions are a bunch of rubbish, as at GCSE they don't really do much for you. Only when people apply for university the A-Level ones matter, and some people fail to meet their targets even then, however they manage to cause this much controversy! Oh dear oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    yea pixelated is very forceful with his point of view but he hasnt offended me (except from calling me a numb nut!!! :eek: :p: :p: ) but then again i haven t viewed the whole of your conversation and therefore dont really know whether pixelated has been insulting or has "passed the line". maybe just agree to disagree!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelated)
    Ok. Let's both just accept that we have crossed wires, and call a truce? Ok? No hard feelings? I appologise for the way I have come across today, it's not a true representation of me at all. I enjoy debate and discussion, but not in this way.
    Ok normally I would say no let the fight commence but that smiley face has just swung it. I really didn't mean to insult you atall. Hay we all have bad days- exspecially me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icetopaz_h454)
    I agree with Matthew, Pixelated stop stealing his thunder! I think a majority of people get stressed out about results because they genuinely want to do well for themselves, whether their best efforts may be straight A*s or straight Ds. However the pressure is on for those who are predicted all A*s because there is not much they can improve on, they are unable to exceed their predicted grades but there is a possiblity that they fail to meet them. For someone who is not predicted all A*s (even if it is something like 1 A and the rest A*S) there is still room for improvement, so the level of intensity is less than it is for someone expecting all top marks. This is why I think that predictions are a bunch of rubbish, as at GCSE they don't really do much for you. Only when people apply for university the A-Level ones matter, and some people fail to meet their targets even then, however they manage to cause this much controversy! Oh dear oh dear...
    I like this guy Ah well it is all better now!

ReputationRep:
    Ok normally I would say no let the fight commence but that smiley face has just swung it. I really didn't mean to insult you atall. Hay we all have bad days- exspecially me!!!
    :rofl: Cool, settled then. (God I sound like such a geek using the word 'cool'.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.