The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Cessie
Hey I was just wondering, those of you who are currently studying a degree in History, what modules (periods, countries, conflicts etc) of History you've done so far and are planning to do. Which have you enjoyed the most and the least? I know everyone likes different things but I just thought it would be interesting to see what different people have studied. :biggrin:

My 3 main papers last year where British Political and Constitutional 1700-1914, British Social and Economic 1700-1914 and European 1450-1760. (2 British papers and 1 European are compulsory in the first year) I didnt enjoy the British political paper, for the simple reason that I dont enjoy, in the main, straight political history, also it was my first paper and degree work was new and hard lol. I really like the social and economic paper, which was, thanks to my supervisor, largely social rather than economic. I looked at some aspects of British history that I'd never considered before such as Polite culture, gender, literacy and education, crime and philanthropy. Then my last european paper was really good as it was pretty much all cultural history. I looked mainly at France, Germany and Italy, and studied things such as Witchcraft, print culture, the reformation, Humanism, power and knowledge, popular and elite culture etc.

I also did a 'Themes and Sources' unit, choosing the option 'The body and society in Europe 1500-1970.' This was really good as it allowed you to take one theme 'The body' and look at it across a wide period and across many countries. we looked at everything from Medieval Europe to Africa and India. Looking all the time how the body either reflected or questioned the society that it was part of. It included looking at religion, science and the Enlightenment, Crime and punishment, understandings of disease, warfare, labour and work, sexuality, racial boundaries in colonial settings and consumerism.

Finally we also did HAP - Historical argument and Practice, which is centred around a lecture a week for the first 2 terms, ranging from Whig History, to oral history to Feminism to Postmodernism, and college discussion groups based on reading up on a topic beforehand and then discussing it with a fellow, we covered Globalisation, The Annales School, Empiricism and Postmodernism and Narrative.

So thats me so far!

Latest

Trending

Trending