Turn on thread page Beta

What does everybody think is the best A-level, General Studies or Critical Thinking? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well?

ReputationRep:
    Neither. Good universities don't accept them. But I was forced to take General Studies and it was very easy, so I'll say GS!

ReputationRep:
    Good universities don't accept them.
    Really? I know about GS, but critical thinking is a bit like philosophy. Weird :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Neither. Good universities don't accept them. But I was forced to take General Studies and it was very easy, so I'll say GS!
    Lol i wasn't trying to say that either was exactly advanced chemistry or history, just interested in what is seen as more of an indicator of ability. You are right, GS is easy, i got 120/120 in one module with a pre release booklet requiring at least 3 hours of prior study which I didn't so much as flick through before the exam :confused:

ReputationRep:
    General studies is totally pointless. I did no work throughout the year, along with no revision for the exams and came out with 270/300...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    General studies is totally pointless. I did no work throughout the year, along with no revision for the exams and came out with 270/300...
    Well if you can do GCSE maths and know what goes on in the Guardian, then it is easy to pass, yeah. However it still means that i can now say i got AAAA at A level, so ill take it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)

I'd beg to differ! Critical Thinking is HIGHLY REGARDED by top unis (esp. Oxbridge). It is also by far the hardest AS to achieve a Grade A-C in (something like 8% get an A)

NB: Parts of it are also similar to the LNAT exam for Law admissions, so I'd say its a pretty good bet to take it if your going in to Law.

I, personally just sat the exam w/o prep or anything...i would advise some prep is done, but the beauty of Critical Thinking is that it is NOT a content based subject and yet is regarded extremely highly by universities.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    Well, a lot of courses in decent universities do accept them, such as manchester, Leeds etc. They normally won't have it on courses with a lot of competition thoughm or where prior knowledge of a subject is very important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niccolo)
    Well, a lot of courses in decent universities do accept them, such as manchester, Leeds etc. They normally won't have it on courses with a lot of competition thoughm or where prior knowledge of a subject is very important.

With the number of pupils with excellent passes at A level growing, the importance of different style exams (eg AEA and Critical Thinking) is becoming more and more deciding for top unis unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me what's the difference? I've never taken General Studies or Critical Thinking but my friends have... I have a teeny idea what Critical Thinking is because I'm planning to take it as a complementary study at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godmaster)
    I'd beg to differ! Critical Thinking is HIGHLY REGARDED by top unis (esp. Oxbridge). It is also by far the hardest AS to achieve a Grade A-C in (something like 8% get an A)
    Yes, but they won't include it in your offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Jo-x)
    Can someone explain to me what's the difference? I've never taken General Studies or Critical Thinking but my friends have... I have a teeny idea what Critical Thinking is because I'm planning to take it as a complementary study at uni.
    Well general studies AS has an english, humanities and arts paper with a written comprehension/multiple choice thingy where you have to analyse the meaning of sentences in a broadsheet article/a publication like the economist, something along those lines, and a really half-arsed science and technology paper which haas very little bearing on the actual sciences. It also has something about politics and the economy.

The A2 is better. It has a language paper (in either french spanish or german) with multiple choice questions, and an essay in english at the end about either history, geography, english, politics or the use of languages. It also has a paper about the economy based on a pre-release booklet (normally about consumerism/economic systems, you dont necessarily need prior knowledge or to have studies economics) and a science maths and technology paper which is much better than the AS one.

Critical thinking is more about philosophy and ethics, i think.

ReputationRep:
    I would say Critical Thinking but that's because it's the only one I've done, and I taught it myself. However, if you're looking for an easy A, I would say General Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niccolo)
    Well general studies AS has an english, humanities and arts paper with a written comprehension/multiple choice thingy where you have to analyse the meaning of sentences in a broadsheet article/a publication like the economist, something along those lines, and a really half-arsed science and technology paper which haas very little bearing on the actual sciences. It also has something about politics and the economy.

The A2 is better. It has a language paper (in either french spanish or german) with multiple choice questions, and an essay in english at the end about either history, geography, english, politics or the use of languages. It also has a paper about the economy based on a pre-release booklet (normally about consumerism/economic systems, you dont necessarily need prior knowledge or to have studies economics) and a science maths and technology paper which is much better than the AS one.

Critical thinking is more about philosophy and ethics, i think.
    Ok, cool - thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Haha General Studies. What a joke. I still can't find my textbook! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnStuartMill)
    Yes, but they won't include it in your offer.
    yes it actually helps you get the offer....over 10000applicants were rejected this year from oxbridge...nearly all going on to get AAA/AAB
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godmaster)
    yes it actually helps you get the offer....over 10000applicants were rejected this year from oxbridge...nearly all going on to get AAA/AAB
    :rolleyes:
    Indeed, having a decent grade in general studies/critical thinking could work in your advantage in terms of getting the offer in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    There's a general studies *textbook*? I never saw one of those.

ReputationRep:
    critical thinking is the best because more and more uni's are seeing it as an attractive award. It has very low grade boundaries compared to most other subjects. It is also accepted at the best uni's and is very similar to the law admissions tests. It is a good subject to have but it is boring and the exam although 3hours, needs 2 b about 4

ReputationRep:
    yep i agree ct is much better

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.