Turn on thread page Beta

What does everybody think is the best A-level, General Studies or Critical Thinking? watch

ReputationRep:
    I heard the universities respect critical thinking very much...at least that's what i've been told! :rolleyes: It's deffinitely more respected than General Studies, but is much harder...depends what you want to do - whether you want to do a very respected subject and might get a mediocre/low grade, or do an easy subject which universities don't even take into account and get a high grade.

HEAD BOY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godmaster)
    yes it actually helps you get the offer....over 10000applicants were rejected this year from oxbridge...nearly all going on to get AAA/AAB
    :rolleyes:
    Why the eyerolling? I never said it wouldn't help, I pointed out that it would not be included in the offer - there is a difference between the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnStuartMill)
    Why the eyerolling? I never said it wouldn't help, I pointed out that it would not be included in the offer - there is a difference between the two.

hey i like the eyeroll its cute!

ReputationRep:
    hey i like the eyeroll its cute!
    Haha, what college at Cambridge are you off to? I am applying for Law next year - probably going to apply to Sidney Sussex.

ReputationRep:
    Critical Thinking would be making the best of a bad situation.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, what college at Cambridge are you off to? I am applying for Law next year - probably going to apply to Sidney Sussex.

Robinson..isnt sidney sussex where cromwell went 2? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Robinson..isnt sidney sussex where cromwell went 2? :rolleyes:
    Yep yep . His head is buried underneath the Chapel there - only the Senior Tutor and Master know exactly where supposedly but Royalists occassionally come and visit and jump up and down on the spot where they think his head is buried.

ReputationRep:
    Yep yep . His head is buried underneath the Chapel there - only the Senior Tutor and Master know exactly where supposedly but Royalists occassionally come and visit and jump up and down on the spot where they think his head is buried.

hmm ouch!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasha-twi)
    critical thinking is the best because more and more uni's are seeing it as an attractive award. It has very low grade boundaries compared to most other subjects. It is also accepted at the best uni's and is very similar to the law admissions tests. It is a good subject to have but it is boring and the exam although 3hours, needs 2 b about 4
    The grade boundaries are lower, but CT still gets very low grades!

ReputationRep:
    Critical Thinking. General Studies is a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Neither. Good universities don't accept them. But I was forced to take General Studies and it was very easy, so I'll say GS!
    Actually, lots of good unis do accept CT now, and it's definitely much more valuable than GS. But it's also harder.

ReputationRep:
    I think they're both just lovely and nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deer87)
    Actually, lots of good unis do accept CT now, and it's definitely much more valuable than GS. But it's also harder.
    Where accepts CT?

ReputationRep:
    Well I had the misfortune to study both at AS level (it wasnt out of choice.) Critical Thinking was exciting in the way that part of it was multiple choice, but personally I hated the subject as I found a lot of it subjective and often decided that all the choices were the correct answer.
    General Studies is, as many have mentioned, a joke. I went to a total of 3 lessons the whole year and managed to get 295/300. No preperation, revision or anything - dont even watch the news/read newspapers. OK i skimmed the syllabus on the morning of the exam. Ah good times

x

ReputationRep:
    I havn't studied A level Critical Thinking, but I have studied AS Level General Studies.

This may sound biased but I would say General Studies is a more worthy subject than Critical Thinking.
    With General Studies you learn a wide range of topics, from Maths, to Geography, to Religion and Politics.
    You develop your own set of opinions and are taught how to write essays as well as learning a load of facts about everything and anything.

General Studies is everything... the question should be asked about GS is, what doesn't it teach?

Critical Thinking your just taught one medium as with GS you're taught a massive wide range of things.

ReputationRep:
    Critical Thinking is most definitly the higher regarded subject. In my college they would only let the gifted and talented take it as they were only able to offer one 1 hour lesson a week. It helped us with our university applications as many uni's were interested in the course and what it entailed, and saw it as an indicator for good logical development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selectronic)
    Critical Thinking is most definitly the higher regarded subject. In my college they would only let the gifted and talented take it as they were only able to offer one 1 hour lesson a week. It helped us with our university applications as many uni's were interested in the course and what it entailed, and saw it as an indicator for good logical development.
    Critical Thinking was only taken by the Gifted and Talented as it susposed to help with competitive courses and when you take University entrance exams.

To any other folk... it's classed as a "Micky Mouse" subject, just like General Studies

ReputationRep:
    General Studies is useless, I didn't do any work all year and I got a C. In my school, only a handful of people per year get A's in it, and most people get E's or U's so I was pretty chuffed! It's probably the worst A level in terms of grades in my school and my school gets pretty good results each year... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rupalini)
    General Studies is useless, I didn't do any work all year and I got a C. In my school, only a handful of people per year get A's in it, and most people get E's or U's so I was pretty chuffed! It's probably the worst A level in terms of grades in my school and my school gets pretty good results each year... :confused:
    General Studies is also the worst performed subject in terms of grades in my college too.

The reason is, that most people do not take it seriously, therefore they will fail.

There are exceptions to this rule... like any other subject.
    People claim they did no revision and get an A etc!

ReputationRep:
    I'd beg to differ! Critical Thinking is HIGHLY REGARDED by top unis (esp. Oxbridge). It is also by far the hardest AS to achieve a Grade A-C in (something like 8% get an A)

NB: Parts of it are also similar to the LNAT exam for Law admissions, so I'd say its a pretty good bet to take it if your going in to Law.

I, personally just sat the exam w/o prep or anything...i would advise some prep is done, but the beauty of Critical Thinking is that it is NOT a content based subject and yet is regarded extremely highly by universities.

Regards
    You say 8% get an A in critical thinking, well only 10% get an A in general studies A2, I think in both cases it is down to students not taking the subject particulalrly seriously or working for them as they have other more important exams.

Speaking from personal experience I'd say general studies is one of those exams that either you know the stuff or you don't, its hard to learn for. I was lucky with mine as I did religious studies GCSE, and all the morality stuff we studied there turns up time and time again in generall studies, however others who did different subjects may find general studies harder.

However I would repect an A grade more in ciritcal thinking A2 than general studies A2

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.