The Student Room Group

Year in Industry - Info, questions & advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi Kem-Pham,
Apologies, I've been out of the office for some time. When it comes to visa's year in industry students have to abide by the same rules as anyone else looking for a job in the UK. You would therefore have to discuss this with any potential employers. Because of this there is little we can do to help but I recommend you look into Visa's and apply if it looks like you would be eligible for a working visa.
Reply 21
Thanks a lot Thompson :smile: thinks i should ask them for an appointment to work out this and yh i will highly consider your recommendation. :smile:
Reply 22
Hi there Paul, Im taking a gap year before going to university next september. I want to gain work experience and would like to find a job something relate to Accountancy and Finance. I just wanted to ask you whether i have a chance of getting a job in that field with the qualifications i have. I attained A* A B C C C C C C CD for my GCSE and ADEE for my AS. Do u think i can get a job through the YEAR IN INDUSTRY with these qualifactions and if not is there any way i can gain valuable experience during my gap year, i wouldnt mind if it is not paid work either.
Reply 23
Hi, I'm considering doing a degree in Maths or Physics, with a gap year with YINI beforehand. I'm expecting to be getting AACA-AADB from my AS levels (Maths, FMaths, Physics, Chemistry)

Are there many more "officey" jobs, or ones that primarily deal in electronics that you can get through YINI? I have the added issue when it comes to work that I faint easily in the heat and have various fears that cripple me when it comes to medical stuff, which I'm guessing may be a problem if YINI is finding the placements for me.
Reply 24
Jasi
Hi there Paul, Im taking a gap year before going to university next september. I want to gain work experience and would like to find a job something relate to Accountancy and Finance. I just wanted to ask you whether i have a chance of getting a job in that field with the qualifications i have. I attained A* A B C C C C C C CD for my GCSE and ADEE for my AS. Do u think i can get a job through the YEAR IN INDUSTRY with these qualifactions and if not is there any way i can gain valuable experience during my gap year, i wouldnt mind if it is not paid work either.

Hello!

With the qualifications you have listed above I certainly wouldn't count out a year in industry.

Some companies will specify that they would like straight A students, however there will always be some that appreciate other aspects.

So in short, if you are interested in YINI and the only factor worrying you is your grades I would recommend applying!

I hope this has helped you make up your mind.

Paul
Reply 25
Castaras
Hi, I'm considering doing a degree in Maths or Physics, with a gap year with YINI beforehand. I'm expecting to be getting AACA-AADB from my AS levels (Maths, FMaths, Physics, Chemistry)

Are there many more "officey" jobs, or ones that primarily deal in electronics that you can get through YINI? I have the added issue when it comes to work that I faint easily in the heat and have various fears that cripple me when it comes to medical stuff, which I'm guessing may be a problem if YINI is finding the placements for me.

Hi,

There are a multitude of office based placements, as well as many that deal in electronic engineering.

Regarding the few issues you have, when you apply you will see a section for medical issues, wherein you can explain anything that would need to be taken in to account regarding interviews/placements. You may also wish to reinforce this when you visit your local YINI office for an interview.

The grades you have/are predicted will be substantial when looking for a placement.

I hope I've helped you make up your mind about YINI and hope you consider applying!

Paul
Reply 26
That's brilliant, thank you very much. :smile:
Reply 27
I know this is probably a difficult question to answer but what is the general type of job that pre-undergrads get from YINI? And on average how many weeks is YINI for?

I'm applying for university this year for engineering but am still unsure whether or not I want a gap year (with YINI and travelling) or not >_<
Reply 28
Hi I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions as I am seriously considering YINI:
I know that you specialize in engineering however I also thought that you did business which is what I would like to do (before management at uni) however when you click apply on the site it says all placements "have a strong engineering emphasis" - is this correct for business placements too?
Also if you move to a job how likely would you be to stay in a flat with other YINI people?
Thanks a lot!
Reply 29
I'm seriously considering of applying for this scheme...but i wish to wait for my as level results to come in first...so i just wanted to ask
Would applying for this process earlier be better?
when would it be 'too late' to apply for this scheme?
Reply 30
Hi , im just wondering ive just graduated from my degree but what im looking for is work experiance is this open to graduates aswell or is only availble to current students ?
nickthekid
Hi I was wondering if you could answer a couple of questions as I am seriously considering YINI:
I know that you specialize in engineering however I also thought that you did business which is what I would like to do (before management at uni) however when you click apply on the site it says all placements "have a strong engineering emphasis" - is this correct for business placements too?
Also if you move to a job how likely would you be to stay in a flat with other YINI people?
Thanks a lot!

There are definitely a range of business placements (see a range of job descriptions). Generally the placement companies tend to be engineering firms, so having an interest in their field will probably help. You might also find a more relevant placement applying to Deloitte Scholars, IBM Futures or similar.

As for staying with other YinI students... it really depends. It's likelier with some placements where they take in several students every year, but a majority of them only take a few. YinI can help you get in touch with other students that will be staying locally, as was the case with me.

Student29
I'm seriously considering of applying for this scheme...but i wish to wait for my as level results to come in first...so i just wanted to ask
Would applying for this process earlier be better?
when would it be 'too late' to apply for this scheme?

Applying in August will still make you one of the earliest applications. Latest reasonable would probably be around February 2011 (-unsure-), but yes, applying early should give you access to the biggest range of placements.

azzi
Hi , im just wondering ive just graduated from my degree but what im looking for is work experiance is this open to graduates aswell or is only availble to current students ?

Unfortunately not.
Anyone got any offer yet for their chosen firm/company? Anyone based in London? I am in need of someone to share a flat/house in London. :/
Reply 33
the_neg_master_
Anyone got any offer yet for their chosen firm/company? Anyone based in London? I am in need of someone to share a flat/house in London. :/

You could try calling the London office, they may be aware of people in the same situation as you.
Reply 34
Hey Paul,

I only found out about YinI about two weeks ago, hence I fear that I may be really late in applying as I am taking a year out this year (starting uni in oct 2011). So, is there a point of applying now?

Also, if it isn't too late to apply how can I make my application stand out?

Please reply ASAP.

Many thanks,

Isra
Reply 35
pvthompson
You could try calling the London office, they may be aware of people in the same situation as you.

Also, I am looking for a Chemistry related placement-So are there certain companies that you would recommend?

Thanks
Reply 36
pvthompson

Also, I am looking for a Chemistry related placement-So are there certain companies that you would recommend?

Thanks
Reply 37
Do I have to decide about this before I apply?

And I was wondering if anyone knows what you actually do, I dont really want to be building stuff with apprentices I want to do some real engineering stuff!
plod2
Do I have to decide about this before I apply?

And I was wondering if anyone knows what you actually do, I dont really want to be building stuff with apprentices I want to do some real engineering stuff!

You apply at the same time as for uni (so I guess yes) and end up choosing to defer if you get on a suitable placement. Let me know if this wasn't what you meant by the question.

As for what you're doing... what do you mean by real engineering? It's really rare that you'd get put in charge of anything, but you can pretty much guarantee it'll be something meaningful and worthwhile. Any particular field, too? I can probably point you in the direction of people that have had relevant placements in the past.
Isra-Iris
I only found out about YinI about two weeks ago, hence I fear that I may be really late in applying as I am taking a year out this year (starting uni in oct 2011). So, is there a point of applying now?

Unfortunately, it is too late now -- YinI will be focused on next year's batch. I don't know if it's worth looking up Procter & Gamble or Boots yourself, but they're a couple of chemistry based offerings that might offer some kind of student internship.

Quick Reply

Latest