High Wycombe, honestly that bad?

Watch
LeeABTV
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
While researching for Bucks New Uni I've come across a few not-so-happy reactions on High Wycombe. I've heard bits and bobs about racial tension and gangs.

But in all honesty is it that bad? Like is the local paper filled with crime or is it just a quiet place with a handfull of *****?

And while we're on the subject, what is the ethnicity of the area like in general?
PercyChatsworth
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wycombe has the largest Muslim population of any district in England and Wales, according to Buckinghamshire County Council (source). It identifies problems in the area as high unemployment, morbidity, poor educational skills, fear of crime and distrust of police.
jodiemarie
Report 11 years ago
Hi, I've only been there once but my friend goes to Bucks New Uni and when I went to stay with him the area seemed fine. While he was in a lecture I walked around the town and thought it was a nice little place, and all the people I met were really friendly. I felt safe walking around too. Not sure about the general ethinicity etc though, sorry.

If you've not been there I have to add there's also a big, mostly new shopping centre that you have to walk to to get from the halls to the actual uni buildings which is great! Or bad if you have no self-discipline.
pete1111
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been to wycombe many times - its a very grim area, comparable to places like Luton. It does have a high percentage of asian people living there if that worries you. Expensive to go out in, biggest nightclub is pure... i think which has an poor reputation. I also believe bucks new uni is in the bottom 5 unis in the country.

My experiences going out there are drunken violence but same as many other places tbh. You can get to london easily - there is a nice park in wycombe and the surrounding areas aren't too bad. Wouldnt wanna go uni there though

Sorry can I add that a new shopping centre and cinema opened there a few years ago which is really nice its called the eden centre.
donej1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
its a ****-hole.
rofflewaffle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I go there all the time and it really isn't that bad. There is a very large ethnic diversity, but on the whole it isn't majorly un-safe. High Wycombe does have a predominant asian community. There is crime, as you get with any large town, but I wouldn't say its excessive or something that should stop you visiting/studying there.
Javindo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I live in High Wycombe. Overall, it is not the worst place to live on earth however contrary to what you said, it is a few nice people with a majority of idiots. People here are more rude than those in London and White British people are an ethnic minority.

In terms of Bucks New Uni, the new place looks nice and I'm spending some time their later this term for a Summer School, the new accommodation is also in quite a good place however again, in the middle of an area rife with those of non-British nationality.

Trying not to be racist, that is the main down side to Wycombe. The Eden shopping mall is alright, however should you wander away from the main High Street area, you are extremely unlikely to find a shop with staff who speak English as their first language.

Crime seems to be reasonably low, at least around the Town Centre. I for one have never seen anyone actively breaking the law and I have spent a lot of time in and around the town. In terms of education, yes the University is very low in the league tables however we do have 2 grammar schools and 1 high school as well as Wycombe Abbey (public school).

Overall, as a university town it is awful, as a residential area it is awful, as a visit-once-for-shopping you might as well go the extra 30 miles into London.

Conclusion: avoid at all costs, I know I will be fleeing as soon as I start university!
LeeABTV
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
To the people who live/study there, is it any worse than Milton Keynes?
jjhiggins
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wycombe is a relatively quite town. Fast link to london and Birmingham via train. Within easy reach of london. Like any cosmopolitan suburb we do have a large mix of different ethnicities. There are new commers from eatern europe and settled south east asian community.
The best comparison is its like east London but with fantstic schools, open spaces and friendly people. Yes there arent many night clubs and you wont find student littering the streets at night.
A safe place to live. There arent decent restaurants so for that dear friends you have to go to neighbouring marlow or beaconsfield. Which you may not be able to afford.
University itself has few good programmes with majority of rubbish on the offering as well.
Choose wisely.
J Sutcliffe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Predominant ? It's got a max 15 percent SW Asian population - far less than Slough Luton , B'ham , Oxford , Preston , Burnley etc etc and so on.
Check the ONS data - they could be lying of course
J Sutcliffe
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Javindo)
I live in High Wycombe. Overall, it is not the worst place to live on earth however contrary to what you said, it is a few nice people with a majority of idiots. People here are more rude than those in London and White British people are an ethnic minority.

In terms of Bucks New Uni, the new place looks nice and I'm spending some time their later this term for a Summer School, the new accommodation is also in quite a good place however again, in the middle of an area rife with those of non-British nationality.

Trying not to be racist, that is the main down side to Wycombe. The Eden shopping mall is alright, however should you wander away from the main High Street area, you are extremely unlikely to find a shop with staff who speak English as their first language.

Crime seems to be reasonably low, at least around the Town Centre. I for one have never seen anyone actively breaking the law and I have spent a lot of time in and around the town. In terms of education, yes the University is very low in the league tables however we do have 2 grammar schools and 1 high school as well as Wycombe Abbey (public school).

Overall, as a university town it is awful, as a residential area it is awful, as a visit-once-for-shopping you might as well go the extra 30 miles into London.

Conclusion: avoid at all costs, I know I will be fleeing as soon as I start university!

Get your facts correct and in order. There a very very few ethnic people living in the town centre ; most live 1 to 2 miles outside ie Castlefield , Micklefied and Totteridge. And even most of those speak English (among other languages).
You are sounding like someone with a problem or grudge
Wycombe Wonderer
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, I've moved about the UK a fair bit and have lived in many towns, diverse or otherwise - I lived in Wycombe back in 2005 and am still a regular visitor (weekly). It's not that bad, honestly. As with most sizeable towns it depends on which part of it you live in - some areas are pleasant leafy suburbs while others are frankly depressing and hideous. It does have a large asian and polish community but it doesn't seem to have the same tensions as I witnessed in Luton or Bedford - IMHO.

While I am on here - I regularly attend the High Wycombe Gaming Group in the Guildhall every Wednesday at 7pm -10pm. If anyone (particularly students) fancies a game of Warhammer or D&D and the likes then do drop by :-)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130842639476/

Cheers,
K Butcher
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It really depends on what areas of High Wycombe you go. The town centre is fairly nice but some areas are a bit run down and are not as nice. Overall it is a fairly nice place as I have lived there for 13 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.28%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
13.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (9)
14.75%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (7)
11.48%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (25)
40.98%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
16.39%

Watched Threads