Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been accepted into Nottingham and Royal Holloway to study computer science. am i right in thinking Nottingham is better in terms of dept. and overall rep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThugzMansion7)
    I've been accepted into Nottingham and Royal Holloway to study computer science. am i right in thinking Nottingham is better in terms of dept. and overall rep?
    Yes, but you can't go wrong with either really; they are both very good universities. It's important to look at the course modules and options in the 2nd and 3rd years.

ReputationRep:
    Congrats! Are you only concerned with rep, or are there other factors? For examply, Nottingham is a campus based uni, and... well, I'm not sure what Royal Holloway is, as I'm not really familliar with that uni. But just compare other factors of the uni/course between the two and see which you'd prefer.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham computer science department gavem e a really bad impression on thier open day, the staff really didnt seem to care at all.
    Remeber that busisness + comp are on the smaller external campus to the main uni too, which seemed to be in the middle of an industrial estate, nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna_04)
    Congrats! Are you only concerned with rep, or are there other factors? For examply, Nottingham is a campus based uni, and... well, I'm not sure what Royal Holloway is, as I'm not really familliar with that uni. But just compare other factors of the uni/course between the two and see which you'd prefer.
    preferably rep and dept statuses. I also have loughborough but I think notthingham and holloway are my main choices. I've been doing some phoning around and 3 computer science admission tutors have told me to stick to nottingham. York told me, apparantly, uni of london these days is nothing special and that it won't add much if any 'weight' to holloway as an institution. hmmmmmmmmmm........:consfused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThugzMansion7)
    preferably rep and dept statuses. I also have loughborough but I think notthingham and holloway are my main choices. I've been doing some phoning around and 3 computer science admission tutors have told me to stick to nottingham. York told me, apparantly, uni of london these days is nothing special and that it won't add much if any 'weight' to holloway as an institution. hmmmmmmmmmm........:consfused:
    I'm pretty sure that Notts leads RHUL on rep and dept status...but it is very important that you like the course!!! I can't stress that enough!!

ReputationRep:
    Anything I say will be biased as I'm from Nottingham and going to Nottingham!

But no one can argue that Nottingham Uni does have a great reputation - if other admissions tutors are saying to stick to Nottingham... well, they know what they're talking about, right?

Just be sure there are no other factors that will influence you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallucination)
    I'm pretty sure that Notts leads RHUL on rep and dept status...but it is very important that you like the course!!! I can't stress that enough!!
    yeh it's not that bad. York told me today that if i'd got a C in maths i would have been accepted with BBC, but i got BBD, 4ums marks away from an A in computing and C in maths wish they'd never told me that. Is it worth holding out for a remark, but then id loose nottingham
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My advice: do your own coursework in future

ReputationRep:
    "Is it worth holding out for a remark, but then id loose nottingham "

Hmm. Well, when I phoned up my firm, they firstly said they rejected me because of my C in chemistry (that was the only reason)... then it was because I didn't have enough UMS points (and if I'd recieved an A in another course, they'd accept the C in chemistry).

The only problem is, if you get a remark and although your grades go up, but not to your original offer, I don't believe they're required to accept you (regardless of what they said on the phone) - however, I could be wrong.

Also, you'd need to act fast and have approval from your school for a remark, and they're quite expensive (I believe theres a sticky at the top of the forum called, 'results day advice' - which gives more info).

Why would you prefer York to Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna_04)
    "Is it worth holding out for a remark, but then id loose nottingham "

Hmm. Well, when I phoned up my firm, they firstly said they rejected me because of my C in chemistry (that was the only reason)... then it was because I didn't have enough UMS points (and if I'd recieved an A in another course, they'd accept the C in chemistry).

The only problem is, if you get a remark and although your grades go up, but not to your original offer, I don't believe they're required to accept you (regardless of what they said on the phone) - however, I could be wrong.

Also, you'd need to act fast and have approval from your school for a remark, and they're quite expensive (I believe theres a sticky at the top of the forum called, 'results day advice' - which gives more info).

Why would you prefer York to Nottingham?

York have a very good dept. for computer science, and are good overall.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.