Turn on thread page Beta

Maths GCSE fail + Sixth form = Worry watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, i heard that if u fail maths at gcse in year 11 you HAVE! to retake it in sixth form, is this true? can i get out of it somehow?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much, most colleges won't let you in if you don't retake it, and even if they do let you in anyay, universities will frown if you have no GCSE maths.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is true that you have to retake it. You will have to retake it in November and carry your coursework mark that you've done already.

ReputationRep:
    Can you do retakes if you get a B in a subject and you want better?

ReputationRep:
    don't know for sure, but tere's no reason why not, but theres always a chance you end up with a worse mark!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there are any set rules about retakes - I'm sure you can retake it as many times as you like. However, a ''B'' is a good grade, but if you need an ''A'' for university entry requirements then it might be advisable to retake the subject. You could do it at an evening class, via distance learning or at school if you can persuade your exams officer to enter you for it. You can carry your coursework marks forward but you may have toteach yourself. Unless you're desparate and it's really bad (like a ''D'' or below) then I wouldn' retake it, but it is your decision. Also, if you sat the Intermediate paper then a B is an excellent [U]grade!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about other schools, but at mine if you fail maths or english and you want to go to sixth form you have to resit. Also the school will pay for one resit for you no matter what grade you got (e.g you get an A but want an A*), but after your first resit if you want any more you have to pay

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, doesnt look very good for me then . Damn maths! Ta for ur time from mat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatthewM)
    Thanks everyone, doesnt look very good for me then . Damn maths! Ta for ur time from mat
    Good luck on Thursday. I hope you get a grade C or above! Just practice more and you will be fine for your resit if you need to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Matthew, this time last year i was so in your position! I was convinced i had failed GCSE maths and really did not want to retake it at college but i somehow (and i still dont know how) managed to pass it! Turns out that a pass rate for GCSE maths at higher tier is 16%!
    I was very lucky to not have to retake it, but i know people who did and actually found it strangely enjoyable! You never know, if you do fail, you might find maths this year a lot more easier, but hopefully you will pass first time and not have to know!

I wish you so much luck in passing it, i know exactly how you feel! Let us know how you get on!

Don't worry too much!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    If you have failed it, you should retake it during your A.S levels. Most decent uni's won't even look @ you without it.
    I've retaken mine during a gap year, its the main reason i took the gap year (which i now am so glad i have taken) but a forced gap year is not a good place to be in.
    Employers also still look for it even after your degree, i am sure you have passed but if not my advice is to retake during you A.S levels where the work load is not as intense as A2. I wish i had of.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx for the encouragement

ReputationRep:
    Well, for my 6th form you don't need to have GCSE Maths unless you're taking it for AS/A level (and you need a B).

So, it must vary from place to place.

You do, however, need a C in Enlish Language (if not you have to retake it). I'm not sure if some of my friends are aware of this but I know they'll panic if I tell them (my best mate, for example, is predicted a D I think, so she might well have to resit GCSE english as one of her options and only do 3 AS level subjects. I don't think she's aware of this but I don't wanna tell her because she's a big panicker and she'll just flap about LOL - there's nothing she can do much anyway...)

MissSurfer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissSurfer)
    Well, for my 6th form you don't need to have GCSE Maths unless you're taking it for AS/A level (and you need a B).

So, it must vary from place to place.

You do, however, need a C in Enlish Language (if not you have to retake it). I'm not sure if some of my friends are aware of this but I know they'll panic if I tell them (my best mate, for example, is predicted a D I think, so she might well have to resit GCSE english as one of her options and only do 3 AS level subjects. I don't think she's aware of this but I don't wanna tell her because she's a big panicker and she'll just flap about LOL - there's nothing she can do much anyway...)

MissSurfer
    In our school, no matter what the entry requirements to do A-levels, the student wil still need to resit maths and/or english if a student does not get a grade C. Some A-level subjects don't need GCSE maths as an entry requirement (e.g. English Literature), but they still have to resit them.

ReputationRep:
    At my school they say you have to resit English and maths if you don't get Cs, but I don't think they enforce it very well because I know a handful of people who should be resitting maths but aren't. I'd resit it if I were you though as you need it for most universities and jobs. Good luck on Thursday

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, i heard that if u fail maths at gcse in year 11 you HAVE! to retake it in sixth form, is this true? can i get out of it somehow?
    yo will have to do it whilst at collage opr sixth form some time u cant get into any uni with less than a c in maths really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Can you do retakes if you get a B in a subject and you want better?
    yes

ReputationRep:
    most universities and jobs specify GCSE Maths at Grade C or above. i know of someone who resat the GCSE this summer, whilst they were in yr 12.

ReputationRep:
    What do you call a fail?

Technically, at GCSE a fail is a U which you have to be really bad to get. However, many people class D and below as fail because they're so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    What do you call a fail?

Technically, at GCSE a fail is a U which you have to be really bad to get. However, many people class D and below as fail because they're so bad.
    'Good' passes are classed as A*-C though and many universities want a 'good' pass in English and maths.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.