Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    From the cesspool of nothinginess to being one of the so called ungderground icons of the last decade. Cobain is perhaps the most controversial yet highly revered sons of satans who happened to influence millions of people and not just musically.So here is the question...is he in ur opinion really a legend or simply overrated.Is his claim to fame the father of grunge or his legacy really all about how he lived his life?

ReputationRep:
    He's a legend. But theres too many 13 year old girls listing over him

ReputationRep:
    I was about 12 when he died. Everyone at high school all of a sudden was a grunge fan... and wanted to start a grunge band.

Other "legends" who committed suicide (or apparently did):
    more recently:
    - Jeff Buckley
    - Elliott Smith
    and a bit more long ago:
    - Nick Drake

ReputationRep:
    not too sure about him, i like his music, and hes goood lookin, but i dnt think thats the kinda thing an idol does? they r suposed 2 be makin a good reputation 4 kids 2 copy

ReputationRep:
    This is going to be one of those threads where you get hunted down and set alight if you say 'Kurt Cobain was a nob', isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indy_punk)
    From the cesspool of nothinginess to being one of the so called ungderground icons of the last decade. Cobain is perhaps the most controversial yet highly revered sons of satans who happened to influence millions of people and not just musically.So here is the question...is he in ur opinion really a legend or simply overrated.Is his claim to fame the father of grunge or his legacy really all about how he lived his life?
    he's another one of those "awesome band" people...
    to mention but a few others in his club...
    ozzy, tommy lee, slash, bruce dickinson, serj tankian, billie joe, etc...

ReputationRep:
    Don't really know much about him. I hate the fact that he committed suicide, but he wrote some amazing melodies. The man is a legend for that.

ReputationRep:
    This is going to be one of those threads where you get hunted down and set alight if you say 'Kurt Cobain was a nob', isn't it?
    not the least bit.
    Its just that its weird cuz for some reason a lotta (deranged sorry to say tht) ppl tend to drown themselves in his music,journals and tend to go "i can relate to him....my life is ****...im a self harmer..blah blah yada yada" ..just boils down to asking ...wots his legacy?
    anyway...im assuming if he had the answer to tht he'd still be around

i like him,i love nirvana,with he hadn't commited suicide...

ReputationRep:
    fantastic music, great looking. check out http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/20...t_cobain,0.jpg awesome iconic photo. kinda ironic tho that he hated this photo. reckon he's a legend cos he was so talented yet his drug dependency and his suicide were so tragic.

ReputationRep:
    More of a songwriter than a musician, hated the public eye and the idea of "selling out" although he pretty much did. Good for him, RIP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indy_punk)
    not the least bit.
    Its just that its weird cuz for some reason a lotta (deranged sorry to say tht) ppl tend to drown themselves in his music,journals and tend to go "i can relate to him....my life is ****...im a self harmer..blah blah yada yada" ..just boils down to asking ...wots his legacy?
    anyway...im assuming if he had the answer to tht he'd still be around
    way harsh. people don't self harm etc cos they listen to his music. i would argue that feeling that your not alone when your that depressed can only be a good thing and thus his music is helpful. his legacy is inspiration imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heminder)
    he's another one of those "awesome band" people...
    to mention but a few others in his club...
    ozzy, tommy lee, slash, bruce dickinson, serj tankian, billie joe, etc...
    *dies of laughter*

About Kurt Cobain, he was an okay songwriter, Nirvana were quite good...s'about all i have to say about him really...

ReputationRep:
    Over-rated guitarist/coke addict.
    Average song writer.
    Very influential.
    Murdered.

ReputationRep:
    A legend and I don't even listen to grunge particularly.

ReputationRep:
    I love the man's music, but I'm afraid I have to agree with Paul Westerberg who said - after meeting Kobain in a lift - "He was dying to be dying and I was dying to be somewhere else."

The Saint Kurt syndrome certainly hasn't helped. Yes he was gifted but Nirvana weren't even the best band of the Nineties let alone the best band of all time. The hype detracts from the talent Kobain did have.

ReputationRep:
    One word. Influential.

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to have remembered the band when Kurt was alive and to remember when Pearl Jam and Nirvana were the biggest bands in rock and grunge ruled, to be able to really talk about Nirvana. Most people here were too young to be truly affected by the guy and his death.

ReputationRep:
    nirvana were alright, but lets face it suicide sells records.

they were fairly average imo

ReputationRep:
    In the sands of history...many people leave their footprints. He was one among many to do just that. A legend is not necessarily accepted by everyone. Some may find him mediocre and some may give him demi-god status. Its how every individual relates to music. Something that might relate to you might not have the same effect on me. So...thats the way it goes! This world is cruel aint it! :rolleyes: oh and btw...he was awesome!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.