Turn on thread page Beta

Great Expectations Book watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone read this book? As im stuck on it and need some help. Cheers if you can help me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    Has anyone read this book? As im stuck on it and need some help. Cheers if you can help me.
    i read that book about a year ago in school.......................... .and i hated it..........................but i might be able to hlp..............if u tell me wot u need hlp with

ReputationRep:
    I finished reading it not long ago. What exactly is the problem? I haven't studied it as such, but if I can help I will...

ReputationRep:
    I read it, it wasn't all that I hoped for .

Sorry...couldn't resist that one!!!

ReputationRep:
    well i have to describe what his childhood was like for starters. I read thr book ages ago and cant quite remember. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    well i have to describe what his childhood was like for starters. I read thr book ages ago and cant quite remember. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

er...well thats a pretty vague question as his childhood and growing up is basically what the whole book is about...

ReputationRep:

You sound like you are stuck trying to write an essay or assignment on it but have not bothered to read the book recently yourself.

Whilst people on here can offer help and opinion this board is no substitute for putting the work in .

ReputationRep:
    No i have read the book, i have got to say what his early life in the gargery houshold was like, as the first question. So far i have

Pip’s life style in his childhood was hard as he lost his mum and dad before he even knew them. His unwilling sister then was made to be the guardian of Pip till he was old enough for him to live his own life. This may have prevented him from getting the love and attention a young boy needs from a loving family, Pips cloths were never on the nice side always old and tatty as were his footwear. Although his sister neglected him, her husband Joe did not, this did help Pip get through this troubled time as he got close to him. Joe’s role in Pip’s life as a father figure carried on till Pip was the right age to work as he helped the family business as being a blacksmith with Joe and other co-workers.

and thats crap i have just quickly wrote that out (",) any pointers as what else to write.

ReputationRep:
    Pip's childhood is such a broad topic to write an essay on that I don't really know what to say, except that you should re-read the book.

I

ReputationRep:
    what was his life like in the Gargery household?eg what were his relationships with eg his sister or Joe.

ReputationRep:
    just read the bloody book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    just read the bloody book
    I have! And theres no need to get rude this is a learning forum, maybe you should learn that firstly before coming on here.

ReputationRep:
    Well most people tend to read a book before attempting to write an essay on it. I do not mean to be rude, but the questions you have asked suggest that you haven't done this, certainly not recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    Well most people tend to read a book before attempting to write an essay on it. I do not mean to be rude, but the questions you have asked suggest that you haven't done this, certainly not recently.
    well i have about a month ago, and showed what i had wrote and asked if that was good enough. Proving that i had.

ReputationRep:
    hey! what a coincidence- I'm reading the last section right now- of the abridged version...I have to do plot, conflict, character analysis of Pip, reactions, notable words, literary devices, etc ALL DUE TOMORROW!!! *sighs*..the book isn't *that* bad, but I hate analyzing it!!

ReputationRep:
    here is a website with summaries of chapters in the book. I found it helpful, as i had not read the whole book, but the first couple of chapters and had to do a coursework on Great Expectations.

http://www.classicnote.com/ClassicNo...summa1-10.html

ReputationRep:
    No i have read the book, i have got to say what his early life in the gargery houshold was like, as the first question. So far i have .....
    ......and thats crap i have just quickly wrote that out (",) any pointers as what else to write.
    Mention the fact that Joe is like a father figure even though Pip does not treat him well when Pip is in London (he is still young then...right?)
    And not only Pip's sister who had 'brought him up by hand' was the mean one but the fact that Pumblechook and Wopsle never missed an oppurtunity to make him feel miserable. Chapter 4, at the Christmas dinner is a good example where Pumblechook/Wopsle(cant rem which) compared him to the swine and his sister didnt make things any easier by continuously telling him to listen to what they were saying. Also, in this dinner Joe keeps giving him (Pip) more gravy to try and make him feel better...so basically, it shows the contrasting treatments that he gets from all the people that were there during his early childhood....
    Pip was sensitive and insecure because of the way these people treated him horribly and that is also what made him even more self conscious than he should have been when he met Estella at Satis House.

I am practicing for an oral exam I have on Great Expectations tomorrow and this is actually helping me jog my memory...(:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    i remember reading when i was about 13, and i've seen the movies (both versions).

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.