The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

Feelings Upon Rejection

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Do you think it's better to have the B in Physics than to resit it and get an A? I'm "just" 26 points away...
Reply 41
kitsune
Do you think it's better to have the B in Physics than to resit it and get an A? I'm "just" 26 points away...

If Cambridge don't mind the B then I don't see who will really :smile: , but if you can fit it in then why not :smile: ?
Reply 42
that's why I sent the emails... would they prefer me to concentrate on my first year subjects or to retake Alevel Physics?
Tell me about it....I can see where she is coming from. I have got into Oxford but I really wouldnt have been upset about going to Warwick which seems much friendlier :smile:, not that much worse academically, lots of grass. Oxford while I was there had miserable weather, the grass was muddy and horrible and the stairs were wooden and creaked. But then you think about how great Oxford is going to be :P.....
Reply 44
Clueless?
Right. My thread got eaten up by the board and I really can't be bothered to type it up again so here's a much conciser version that may or may not make sense.

Me and a friend applied to Oxford, both got offers, she missed hers, I made mine. Today, she's realised that she never really wanted to go to Oxford, that its a crap course, in a horrid town, full of unsoicable twits and geeks who are never going to have any fun and her course at her secondary choice (which ironically was her insurace, not her firm) is much better and outclasses Oxford in all aspects. Now she's obviously a little bitter over it, but to spout out all of that in front of other friends really ticked me off, as I've worked hard to get in and she's just rubbished the next 3 years of my life for her own peace of mind. I didn't say anything, but to say the least I wasn't happy.

Anyone else experienced anything similar, like "I never really wanted to go there anyway, the course is much better elsewhere, it'll be boring and work, work, work!" attitude, or have you given it out and how's it made you feel :smile: ?

Edit: I'm not really having a go at her because its clear she's hurting, its just the attitude pisses me off.

She really must have wanted that Oxford place. Just be there for her when she falls.

Best form of defence for her was attack, worked for Nelson.
Reply 45
d750
Does no one else think the original poster is being unreasonable? Surely it's completely self-absorbed to be more worried about criticism about a uni you're not even at yet than the feelings of a friend who's probably worried that her future career won't be as good as she hoped. Get a sense of perspective, for god's sake.

I think it's the fact that the friend is being totally out of order and trying to take away from what the OP achieved, simply because she wasn't intelligent enough to do the same. You're meant to be happy for your friends, and this girl is being really pathetic. A friend of mine got rejected from Oxford, I got accepted to Cambridge, and they couldn't handle it...they're not a friend any more.
Reply 46
Lauren
I think it's the fact that the friend is being totally out of order and trying to take away from what the OP achieved, simply because she wasn't intelligent enough to do the same. You're meant to be happy for your friends, and this girl is being really pathetic. A friend of mine got rejected from Oxford, I got accepted to Cambridge, and they couldn't handle it...they're not a friend any more.

Wow. Cold. :eek:
Reply 47
d750
Wow. Cold. :eek:

Me or the ex-friend? She completely blanked me since Christmas of year 13 (2002).
Reply 48
Lauren

Damn right. And if this friend of the OP was clever enough to get the offer in the first place, im surprised that she's stupid enough to think that anyone will actually believe her protestations that oxbridge is 'actually not worth it at all, actually' brought about by a miraculous twist of fate and change of heart. Missing the offer and not being let in has absolutely nothing to do with it, oh no....
Reply 49
Clueless?
If Cambridge don't mind the B then I don't see who will really :smile: , but if you can fit it in then why not :smile: ?

lol! Just received an email from ICL Aeronautical Dept, saying that they require A in Alevel Physics and Further Maths would help... but Cambridge Engineering Dept has told me exactly the opposite!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=2829151
Which opinion do I take into account?

This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny!
Reply 50
I hope I don't get treated like this forever though (me being rather selfish) I don't want to put up with anti-Oxbridge sentiments (not that I've met any yet :biggrin: ) for my whole uni life.

Uh Oh. Just kidding :biggrin: at Oxford/Cambridge you wont get any anti Oxbridge sentiments (well apart from 'the other place' scorn or friendly rivalry if you will) but in my experience at home there still is alot of mis conceptions and anti oxbridge sentiments, sometimes it really subtle, but people ask you what Uni you're at and you know that if you say Nottingham or Leeds it would be fine, but as soon as you say Cambridge or Oxford, there's suddenly an awkward/tense silence, with me I have the added bonus of saying, when they ask what I'm studying, I say 'History' (I should really saw Law or Economics or something...) and 9 times out of 10 they say 'oh so you want to go into teaching then?' grr

Apart from that being at Cambridge (And im sure Oxford too :biggrin:) is the best so take it with a pinch of salt!
Reply 51
Jenny...
I hope I don't get treated like this forever though (me being rather selfish) I don't want to put up with anti-Oxbridge sentiments (not that I've met any yet :biggrin: ) for my whole uni life.
Uh Oh. Just kidding :biggrin: at Oxford/Cambridge you wont get any anti Oxbridge sentiments (well apart from 'the other place' scorn or friendly rivalry if you will) but in my experience at home there still is alot of mis conceptions and anti oxbridge sentiments, sometimes it really subtle, but people ask you what Uni you're at and you know that if you say Nottingham or Leeds it would be fine, but as soon as you say Cambridge or Oxford, there's suddenly an awkward/tense silence, with me I have the added bonus of saying, when they ask what I'm studying, I say 'History' (I should really saw Law or Economics or something...) and 9 times out of 10 they say 'oh so you want to go into teaching then?' grr

Apart from that being at Cambridge (And im sure Oxford too :biggrin:) is the best so take it with a pinch of salt!

I don't get that about History, but I do get that about Cambridge. I generally say I study at Sidney Sussex College and most people don't realise. My friend at Oxford on the otherhand is quite open about being at Oxford, though can't bear to correct them when they say, "yeah, Brookes is nice isn't it?".
Reply 52
Jenny...

I've never felt that I have to hide the fact that I go to Oxford / Cambridge. Everyone who's asked is just interested to hear what it's like. When I hear people saying that they feel they ought to conceal it, I tend to think it's just in their own minds. They think getting into Oxbridge is such an amaaazing achievement, who wouldn't be jealous? :rolleyes:

Latest

Latest