Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree. I mean you walk around and see 'tiny' girls in jeans and croped tops out and about - but with a massive tummy hang over. These girls obviously don't need to lose weight, but they need to tone up and alter their diets before they do turn into Jabba the Hut!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    good,even <3 told me it was unreliable
    what do you mean when you say 'even <3 told me it was unreliable'.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    lots of very skinny people on TSR it seems!!Mine is 21.63.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    I totally agree. I mean you walk around and see 'tiny' girls in jeans and croped tops out and about - but with a massive tummy hang over. These girls obviously don't need to lose weight, but they need to tone up and alter their diets before they do turn into Jabba the Hut!
    Indeed and one of the most horrid parts of recovery from Anorexia nervosa is that the tummy is often the first to 'expand'. The body reclaims itself but not in the order we'd like it to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaperMoon)
    lots of very skinny people on TSR it seems!!Mine is 21.63.
    True.

Odd that

Rather like those people with A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A,A, A,A level grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Yup, for the bog standard run of the mill UK causian, your BMI should be between 20-25. the 18-20 catagory is 'healthy' for certain races and castes - typically certain peeps from the Indian subcontinent.
    Thank you.

Have you noticed though, that those silly women's magazines never make that clear. I mean, I was still 'in treatment' with BMI of 18. something. I say, hey, what's going on?

ReputationRep:
    Gotta say, wonderfully competetive, this thread. I barely exist as at all. My BMI is approx 2.

ReputationRep:
    I fluctuate between 19.1 and 20.2 at the moment. Don't know why!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BellaCat)
    I mean, I was still 'in treatment' with BMI of 18.
    Me too

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 19.6 ish.
    To be 18 I'd have to weigh 7 1/2 stones at 5 ft 4, that doesn't seem healthy to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5"7, 8½ stone. BMI 18.6ish. I'm very aware of not losing any weight because I have an awful relationship with food and easily get a bit obsessed. Lost weight a while ago and every though I was going anorexic, kept coming up to me and telling me I looked s**t. Have to force myself to be "normal" with food eg if i think "oh but that has soo much fat" i eat it to prove that i can be in control. Aiming for a BMI of 18 is just not healthy. 20-25 is "normal". If you aim for below this its like your asking for an eating disorder. The main thing is to be both happy and healthy. My friends are skinner than me but I dont care because I love my figure and it makes me feel really healthy to be this weight.

ReputationRep:
    im aiming for a BMI of 18.5 - the healthy limit, just so i can fit into size 8 clothes. my weight loss at 5ft3 has stopped at 7st 11 *weight loss plateau,sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Man, everyone here is really thin... you all seem to be aiming at becoming slightly underweight. I would be perfectly happy with a BMI of 22-23 (it's 25 at the moment).

ReputationRep:
    26 for me at the moment

ReputationRep:
    i think the normal range for women is 20-25, 18.5-26 max range. im only slimming cos im going into modelling and most models are 18.

vic beckham and kate moss and calista flockhart are a scary 15-16 BMI :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missjelly)
    what is a healthy BMI?
    is it safe to diet down to get a BMI of 18?
    does BMI act as a measure of body fat for most people?
    what is the significance of this?
    whats your BMI
    Healthy is 18.5-25, some say 20-25.
    BMI 18 itself is not significantly underweight so being that is not dangerous as such. However, I have heard being even slightly underweight is more detrimental to health than being significantly overweight. Whether that's true or not...

It rather depends on how you get there and from what BMI you start at and how long you do it in. If you pretty much starve yourself, your body will not be healthy. If you diet, you won't be healthy particularly and most people are not naturally at BMI 18 so it would be unlikely that through "normal" dieting you'd be able to get there. It's safe as in it's unlikely you'll suffer terrible health problems. Though how a healthy diet will end you up at BMI 18 is another matter...

No, BMI is not body fat. Body mass index, height against weight...You could have a very low BMI and a high body fat (like some anorectics). They have so little tissue left that what is left is fat at a higher % to normal.

My BMI is too high for my liking.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone always worries about my BMI cos it's just uner 15.... But I don't look gaunt or anything. I've always been slim... my whole family is slim... I just never ever put on weight. And I have super long legs and I'm tall for a girl... i think. I'm 5 foot 10 and about 7 st 10 ish. Just have a very high metabalism... i think thats what it is hah... I just eat and eat and never put on weight... I mean, I had 5 donuts the other day... hm...

ReputationRep:
    My BMI is about 18.

All I have to say, thank fook for genetics and metabolism.

A healthy BMI I believe is 18 to 23? Or 18.5 to 23?

ReputationRep:
    how do u find out wot urs is? and what does it exactly tell u?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.