Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit of a sticky one, hoping someone could enlighten me on this one. I've got a placement at Royal Holloway 2005 but I'm still not 100% i'll take it since my household finances has changed this year.

What the 'problem' is, is that my household income has dramatically dropped this year. This will affect my loan and whether I get a grant. At the present moment in time, I am having to pay full tuition fees, receive no grant and get a fairly good loan. This situation is however on review since my finances are changing.

Next year, my household income will be dramatically reduced. This will mean I am entitled to the full loan of £5.2k (I think) and about a grant of £2.4k. My question is:

Does every single 2006 undergraduate have to pay top up fees? So despite of my low income, would I still pay them? My second question is, what are TSR user's opinions of taking a gap year so I would benefit from the above finances?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    you can get a grant of up to £2.5k?????? I did not know that! I thought it was a grand

ReputationRep:
    This year it is just £1,000 but next year, the maximum grant for low income households raises to £2,700

ReputationRep:
    oh, i see what you mean. Sorry i cant help. If you have applied for this year, and your situation is under review, why can you not still go to uni this year?

next years finances sound awfully expensive in the long run.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.