Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI its gonna be my 1st time in Uk so any suggesstions would be really helpful like about the quick cultural/life adjustement and clothing.

Education system as it is entirely different from ours.

Mobile connection: Which would be best for receiving international sms and calls as i heard roaming charges are very high in UK

and is it wise going for the best advised bank for international student or one on campus?

And finally i would really love to know how's the life for Muslims now as they were many probelms after the recent london attacks.

btw i will doing Bsc Management Sciences from Loughborough University

Thanks
    Jan-e-Alam

ReputationRep:
    I live with a few muslims at the moment and I don't think there have been any changes to their life style down this end of the Kingdom.

As for mobiles, they have all bought ones in the UK so are paying the same as everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInPortsmouth)
    I live with a few muslims at the moment and I don't think there have been any changes to their life style down this end of the Kingdom.

As for mobiles, they have all bought ones in the UK so are paying the same as everyone else.
    I knw everyone will pay the same ofcourse but i aws talking about connections not mobile phone.
    Which telecommucation commany is the best? or good for international students?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what you are after when you ask which is best for international students. All my friends have bought phones in the UK so use UK network providers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInPortsmouth)
    Not sure what you are after when you ask which is best for international students. All my friends have bought phones in the UK so use UK network providers.
    lol sorry if it wasn't clear.
    I'll bring the cell phone with me can you please give me if not much a little details about UK network providers.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see. Well I used O2 (pay as you go) for 4 or 5 years until I lost my phone a couple of weeks ago, and I was given a phone which is on Vodaphone (pay as you go). I have found that Vodaphone isn't as cheap but that is because I had a lot of "bolt ons" on my other sim card. I don't know much about what is offered nowadays by the various providers but I'm sure someone else will be able to fill you in

ReputationRep:
    Just bring the phone you have and buy a new sim card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kard)
    Just bring the phone you have and buy a new sim card.
    Thanks
    Can you please answer to other Qs too?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know of a good international calls plan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janealams)
    I would really love to know how's the life for Muslims now as they were many probelms after the recent london attacks.
    i'm not muslim, but...
    as long as you fit in, people won't give you any suspicious looks.
    ie. don't wear a full-blown coat in summer, etc...
    sounds daft, but i've seen people do that...

i get suspicious looks all the time...
    especially from chavs...
    i think it's my 'black' wear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anabelle)
    Anyone know of a good international calls plan?
    my mum uses these...
    http://uk.eyecalling.com/first-national.htm
    i have no idea where to get them from, but you can get them for asian shops...

ReputationRep:
    Oh you'll be fine!
    From when i visited, and from what i have heared, Loughborugh is a really friendly uni.
    I dont think you would have any problems there and as its all on a campus, you dont even have to venture in to the town..........though im not suggesting you should have any reason not to!

Obviously (as with many uni's-i aint jus sayin Loughborough!) there is with many a big drinking culture. I would assume (sorry if im wrong) that as a muslim you do not drink. I certainly dont think this would be a problem for you in terms of making mates ect, just be advised you will witness and have to put up with alot of drunken people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate86)
    Oh you'll be fine!
    From when i visited, and from what i have heared, Loughborugh is a really friendly uni.
    I dont think you would have any problems there and as its all on a campus, you dont even have to venture in to the town..........though im not suggesting you should have any reason not to!

Obviously (as with many uni's-i aint jus sayin Loughborough!) there is with many a big drinking culture. I would assume (sorry if im wrong) that as a muslim you do not drink. I certainly dont think this would be a problem for you in terms of making mates ect, just be advised you will witness and have to put up with alot of drunken people!
    oh ya i know there will alot of drunken people especially during freshers week but im not worried about this at all as i dont wanna miss a single chance getting social n making mates.
    I dont smoke too but all my friends do i never had problem with that so i dont find it with drinking too as long as i dont have to pay for it
    i know the atmosphere on campus is gonna be wicked n im very excited to enjoy every second of my uni life.
    But its natural to have such feelings starting a new life in many ways.
    hey which out of tese two banks HSBC & Natwest is best for International students.
    And whats the best way to adjust with the education system quickly as i said i wanna enjoy uni life too apart from studies rather than spending most of the time with books...lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heminder)
    i'm not muslim, but...
    as long as you fit in, people won't give you any suspicious looks.
    ie. don't wear a full-blown coat in summer, etc...
    sounds daft, but i've seen people do that...

i get suspicious looks all the time...
    especially from chavs...
    i think it's my 'black' wear...
    i guess thats more in big cities like london but im gonna be far away from london may visit once or twice during term time.
    I'll be in calm n beautiful town of Loughborough any comments on it are welcome

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.