Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    I will be going to Reading in October of this year. I am also purchasing a laptop in preparation for my studies at the university. I have heard that every hall of residence and every room has internet access. However I do have some queries (NB. I will be in Childs Hall)

1) Are the internet connections in each room broadband?
    2) How does the internet connection actually work out? Ie. do we plug into Readings servers and pay the university a monthly fee?
    3) I have a laptop, what else do I need to connect to the internet at reading? Ie. do I need a router?

Any advice on how to connect to the internet at Reading would be helpful.
    I hope someone can answer my queries as it would put my mind at rest.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there , i was actaulyl wondering the same and i found that if you look in the reading halls gide it tells you that all halls rooms have a "data point" which links you directly to the reading system and high speed broadband connections. I think the price of this is included in your rent.
    The 3rd question applies to me as well as my mum is buying me a laptop. My brother say it will probably require a standard USB link up? (whatever that means). But i will ask when i go and buy mine so if you PM me in a few weeks i can tell you.

Good luck.
    Hope to see you there.

Lizzy x

ReputationRep:
    The cost of the internet has gone into the hall fees. All you need is a typical network card.

The hall provides a starter pack with ethernet cable and cd for setting up windows. Other OSs are left to you, but it's a trivial matter in them.

The connection is broadband, but not hugely fast - fast enough though. I think it works out that there is some fixed upper limit on total bandwidth for the network, and that gets shared - so the more activity there is, the slower you get.

As you connect via the uni firewall, some protocols are blocked. in the Reading student village which is a slightly different set up, it's quite a lot that's blocked, I can't say for certain about the uni halls, but I seem to remember most P2P being blocked).

ReputationRep:
    The Uni halls are linked through Janet ( The uni connection system ) .

All you need is a standard ethernet interface ( any new laptop will have one ) and a network cable.

The fee for the internet is included in the hall charges - so you don't feel like you're paying for anything extra

The system is new and there have been teething problems, but nothing the day to day user really needs to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys that is really helpful. Im buying a laptop. Is that all i need and then someone will help me sort it later?
    Can i use msn freely? Its important..sounds silly but i need it to talk to my mum...shes moving to scotland

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so there is no need for a router or a firewall? Does the Reading server have its own firewall so you dont have to protect against hackers?

The main thing that I would worry about is some individuals hacking into personal files on my computer or trying to infect my computer with a nasty virus!!

Just to confirm, all I need is a Network Card? Any ideas as to how much they cost?

Thanks for all your adivce by the way... and I hope to see some of you guys during freshers week!

ReputationRep:
    A network card is around £15.

And yeah you're sorta protected, you'll be behind NAT (Network Address Translation), meaning only the uni router has an external IP, and routes all incoming and outgoing traffic to your computer, by interal IP addresses. [I don't think i explained that terribly well, but basically, I seriously doubt you're gonna get hacked]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theepw)
    Ok, so there is no need for a router or a firewall? Does the Reading server have its own firewall so you dont have to protect against hackers?
    Router, no, you plug straight into the network and DHCP should look after you.

A firewall might be a different matter. Last year the network was riddled with worms and although you're probably protected somewhat from attacks from the Internet (although I really couldn't say for certain), it doesn't really matter since your main problem is going to be with infected machines on the same part of the network as you attacking your machine. I'm not a big fan of the software firewalls, but they should protect against most of the attacks of that nature. One of the best things you could do would be to ensure that your software is up to date before you get there and learn how to use the update system for whatever operating system you use.

ReputationRep:
    Well ive got the new 2005 Norton Anti Virus. So hopefully that should protect against attacks, I hope.

ReputationRep:
    my hall supplied me with a network cable, which was helpful

yeah the price is included in the hall fee, but its still quite expensive.

the internet is fast. especially at "off-peak" times (2am lol) in st patricks we set up a filesharing system using waste, which worked very well and was amazingly quick. downloading films off people in 10 minutes and such forth. so worth googling and trying to get it going in your hall if you are computer minded. Because altho some p2p do work, they are very slow due to the restrictions.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 25, 2005

University open days

1. University of Reading
    All departments will be respresented Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
  2. University of Reading
    All departments will be respresented Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.