Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have just looked at the aqa grade boundaries on their website they are really high! e.g in aqa french 90% is an a*!

ReputationRep:
    i know it is quite high for the english exam and english literature aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got the link please?
    The AQA website is most difficult to navigate. I didn't think the grade boundaries were released until after the GCSE Results were published - are you sure that this wasn't for the 2004 AQA exams?
    iF If it is 90% it must only have been me therefore that found some aspects of the French exam really quite challanging.

ReputationRep:
    yeh i know its well bad! and my eng lit exam went awful lol!

ReputationRep:
    sorry cant find the link all i did was go on aqa website and search grade boundaries no im sure its 2005 altho 2004 are on there as well altho for 2005 there is only art, maths option a, eng lan, french and eng lit the rest havent bin released! yeh i know i found it hard too!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTEi know it is quite high for the english exam and english literature aswell.[/QUOTE]

I may as well give up now then - my timings were really really bad for both those exams

ReputationRep:
    nah its the 2004 boundaries but in all fairness they are extremely similar from year to year and they may even be lower because in english we had to work with clean texts in comparison to previous years.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up all hope - a lot of people at my school got full marks for 3/4 units in the French GCSE last year (for another board) and swore they dropped marks at least somewhere in the paper (me included)

ReputationRep:
    sorry cant find the link all i did was go on aqa website and search grade boundaries no im sure its 2005 altho 2004 are on there as well altho for 2005 there is only art, maths option a, eng lan, french and eng lit the rest havent bin released! yeh i know i found it hard too!
    I've just searched on their site and all I can find is the ones for A-Level. Will keep searching as I really want to know.

Many thanks for posting this - it is really useful.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've seen a few news articles about how the exam boards are under investigation about the difficulty of their exams. In one it says
    From http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...rce=PA%20Feed:

The QCA's most recent published study into French GCSE found that some exam board courses were easier than others.

It concluded: "The changes to syllabuses made between 1996 and 2001 had made little difference to the demands of the subject."

But it added: "There remained some differences between the awarding bodies, with the OCR higher tier question papers judged the most demanding and the AQA modular syllabus judged the least demanding."
    Perhaps this could explain the high grade boundary?

ReputationRep:
    they may even be lower because in english we had to work with clean texts in comparison to previous years.
    Possibly although I did think that the questions were far more accessable this year than they had been in some previous year's - especially compared to last summer's paper. Still, I guess we're going to have to wait and see - not long to go now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    yea i think thats because last years texts where replacements and therefore of greater difficulty as the originals were stolen by idiots thinking that noone would notice.

ReputationRep:
    sorry last years "exams" not texts

ReputationRep:
    sorry last years "exams" not texts
    You could have just edited the post!

ReputationRep:
    ok sorry!!

ReputationRep:
    Well all I can say it is a bloody good thing that I don't care about what result I get in AQA German!

ReputationRep:
    yea ive given up with science, i couldnt give a **** about that subject unbelivably pointless for me. we should have the choice of whether we take sciences to a further level like GCSE as i dont see how it is nearly as relevant as english and maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudger99)
    yea ive given up with science, i couldnt give a **** about that subject unbelivably pointless for me. we should have the choice of whether we take sciences to a further level like GCSE as i dont see how it is nearly as relevant as english and maths!
    Science is all around us. It's healthy to have a basic understanding of what makes up our Universe and our day-to-day experiences for that matter.

EDIT: I might also add that most of the content in the GCSE mathematics syllabi is not useful for later life.

ReputationRep:
    and i gained that information in the first three years and it is extremely unfair to force someone to take all 3 sciences when they could benefit far more from taking 1 or 2 sciences and another subject.

ReputationRep:
    and i gained that information in the first three years
    Well that's good for you, but unfortunately for the rest of the population, we aren't taught anything valuable until GCSE (probably because most of the concepts are difficult to grasp, especially at a younger age).
    and it is extremely unfair to force someone to take all 3 sciences
    How is it unfair? Everyone is in the exact same boat.
    they could benefit far more from taking 1 or 2 sciences and another subject.
    No, because all three of the Sciences are relevent to each other in some way. Even if you wanted to study Biology and Chemistry alone, an understanding of Physics can come in handy. Example: the study of radioactivity in Physics can complement and help understanding of atomic theory in Chemistry.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.